Weekly weigh in - Fridays

Schmoukes

Weekly weigh in Fridays - great idea! I was diagnosed type 2 in Nov. I have gone LCHF and got the blood sugar levels under control. It’s been a nice reward to see some weight loss too. Started at 85kilos, now down at 78. The loss is slow but I just signed up to an exercise group today. Hopefully that will help keep it dropping. I still have a ways to go!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello everyone.

I am back after over a year and a half of stress and life going down the toilet due to family illness and bereavement. However, I am drawing a line under that now and tackling the weight and the blood sugar with LCHF and exercise. I am also testing again, and getting the BG down rapidly. After around 6 weeks I am feeling so much better, although I had around 3 weeks eating too many carbs over the Christmas period, which set me back to the start again.

16/12/2020 - 281.0 lbs / BMI 40.3 / FBG unknown, but ranging around 9-10s during the day.
31/01/2020 - 264.2 lbs / BMI 37.9 / FBG 7.0 / Waist:Height ratio 68.5%
Wow that's excellent weight loss.
You sound very determined indeed.
I can see great lbs lost by this time next year.
Its great to see your starting weight. You will be looking at it as what a success you are. I must pull mine out from when I first weighed in at the bariatric Unit first weigh-in. I think it was something like 141kgs, I think. I was so embarrassed about my weight I didn't weigh myself often.
Welcome to the thread. :) :) :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Weekly weigh in Fridays - great idea! I was diagnosed type 2 in Nov. I have gone LCHF and got the blood sugar levels under control. It’s been a nice reward to see some weight loss too. Started at 85kilos, now down at 78. The loss is slow but I just signed up to an exercise group today. Hopefully that will help keep it dropping. I still have a ways to go!
Well done @Schmoukes. What is your goal weight for yourself?
Exercise is excellent for insulin resistance. I'm looking forward to the go ahead to resume to swimming. Any day now, I'm hoping. It does scary me now but only because of occasional fast heart beat and painful stomach pains which can make my asthma harder to control. I'm going to hv a go if oked as great for IR too. Long walks too.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's excellent weight loss.
You sound very determined indeed.
I can see great lbs lost by this time next year.
Its great to see your starting weight. You will be looking at it as what a success you are. I must pull mine out from when I first weighed in at the bariatric Unit first weigh-in. I think it was something like 141kgs, I think. I was so embarrassed about my weight I didn't weigh myself often.
Welcome to the thread. :) :) :)

Thank you for your kind comments. I am right back near where I started out when I first got diagnosed, but with a lot more knowledge of what I need to eat to bring the numbers down and get the weight off. I am adding in exercise every day to improve general health as well as bringing the numbers down and getting the weight off. I want to much lighter by the end of the year, as that seems to be a good way of reducing the numbers.

I did really well at the start of my diagnosis, but family illness led to me neglecting my own health and ended up with me completely exhausted and ill by this summer, combined with eating too many carbs, and no will to change my lifestyle.

I got so exhausted by December I knew I just had to tackle my weight and eating, and that got me the motivation I needed to get started again. Things are already a lot better - numbers coming down and feeling like I have energy instead of dragging myself around.

Reactions: Schmoukes

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you for your kind comments. I am right back near where I started out when I first got diagnosed, but with a lot more knowledge of what I need to eat to bring the numbers down and get the weight off. I am adding in exercise every day to improve general health as well as bringing the numbers down and getting the weight off. I want to much lighter by the end of the year, as that seems to be a good way of reducing the numbers.

I did really well at the start of my diagnosis, but family illness led to me neglecting my own health and ended up with me completely exhausted and ill by this summer, combined with eating too many carbs, and no will to change my lifestyle.

I got so exhausted by December I knew I just had to tackle my weight and eating, and that got me the motivation I needed to get started again. Things are already a lot better - numbers coming down and feeling like I have energy instead of dragging myself around.
Life sometimes does get in the way. I've changed so much since I was diagnosed in 2002 too. This forum has given me the most encouragement. My family hv never cared, of which I knew so once I kept their negativity out of my life I could concentrate on my own health and my own young family's. I feel liberated. I must hv been about 13yrs old the last time I was below 99kgs. I'm hoping to be less than 99kgs in 2wks time. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Schmoukes

Schmoukes

Well done @Schmoukes. What is your goal weight for yourself?
Exercise is excellent for insulin resistance. I'm looking forward to the go ahead to resume to swimming. Any day now, I'm hoping. It does scary me now but only because of occasional fast heart beat and painful stomach pains which can make my asthma harder to control. I'm going to hv a go if oked as great for IR too. Long walks too.

Crossing fingers for you that you get the go-ahead to swim! I don’t so much have a target weight as a target waist measurement;). I am aiming - long term!! - for my waist to be half my height. That means losing another 9 inches off my waist. But I find tracking the weight loss gives me encouragement since it moves more quickly than the waist inches:).

Reactions: Ryhia and SlimLizzy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello everyone.

I am back after over a year and a half of stress and life going down the toilet due to family illness and bereavement. However, I am drawing a line under that now and tackling the weight and the blood sugar with LCHF and exercise. I am also testing again, and getting the BG down rapidly. After around 6 weeks I am feeling so much better, although I had around 3 weeks eating too many carbs over the Christmas period, which set me back to the start again.

16/12/2020 - 281.0 lbs / BMI 40.3 / FBG unknown, but ranging around 9-10s during the day.
31/01/2020 - 264.2 lbs / BMI 37.9 / FBG 7.0 / Waist:Height ratio 68.5%
@AllieRainbow I've noticed my weight is 220lbs I think. I think I've calculated right. I honestly thought I was way more lbs than that. I'm still thinking I'm nearly 23st. Honestly.... I think because I lost it quickly via bariatric operation and low carb, low fat. I think after 6mths from June'19 my diabesity clinic said I'm prone to readding some weight from the ops benefits. But so far I'm still losing. I've managed to reduce my triple strength basal insulin units to 10 everyday now. So I'm still reducing insulin from what I inject. I'm hoping in the next few months I'll not need to inject any. Another fingers crossed moment.
I think that's what keeps me going is small targets to get to my final destination.
I'm still unsure if 761 own insulin bring produced from a C-peptide blood test is enough for my 220lb body weight? I guess I'll hv to wait until endocrologist returns to my hospital in 18mths to really know. I'm just thankful he is returning.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AllieRainbow I've noticed my weight is 220lbs I think. I think I've calculated right. I honestly thought I was way more lbs than that. I'm still thinking I'm nearly 23st. Honestly.... I think because I lost it quickly via bariatric operation and low carb, low fat. I think after 6mths from June'19 my diabesity clinic said I'm prone to readding some weight from the ops benefits. But so far I'm still losing. I've managed to reduce my triple strength basal insulin units to 10 everyday now. So I'm still reducing insulin from what I inject. I'm hoping in the next few months I'll not need to inject any. Another fingers crossed moment.
I think that's what keeps me going is small targets to get to my final destination.
I'm still unsure if 761 own insulin bring produced from a C-peptide blood test is enough for my 220lb body weight? I guess I'll hv to wait until endocrologist returns to my hospital in 18mths to really know. I'm just thankful he is returning.

You have done fantastically well with your weightloss. I remember you posting when I was on the site before, talking about waiting for your bariatric operation. It is brilliant that it is turning out so well for you.

I am using small targets - smallest are - each day hit the target for exercise, calories and hydration. If I get that right, the weight comes off. The other targets are slightly bigger, of 7 lbs off at a time, and weightloss challenges online that last around 2-3 months. I find that if I have something to aim at all the time, it keeps me focused, and I am hitting goals regularly, which is giving me positive feedback from my efforts and reinforcing motivation and commitment.

When you have a lot to lose it is really difficult thinking about how far you have to go, and can lead to a lack of perspective on how far you have come.

I have visual aids like a big jar which gets a wooden disc in when I have completed another hour of exercise. When I have filled the jar I am going to write the start weight and finish weigh for the jar on, and how many hours of exercise it took. A lot of the weightloss process is just keeping going and perseverance, which can be difficult to achieve.

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yipee! I've reach my 99kgs goal. I'm 99.70kgs this morning.
I've been distracted with spitting blood, stomach pain and black waste but after CT scan and an endoscopy they found polyps which cause the pain and alot of inflammation in my digestive system. Back to surgeon and GP for different meds I hope.
Just need an official diagnosis. Still up in the air whether 761 is too much insulin for my weight. I'll be interested to see if it changes with more weight loss. Still on insulin with metformin. If I stop insulin I range 13-20 even on low carb. I'm guessing protein and low carbs still not aggreable to me at this lower weight, still.
Want to give you a "winner" for the weight loss and for your amazing resilience but will officially hit the "hug" button for the pain you are going through. Hope those Docs at Sunderland General are doing a good work on your behalf.
C.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
C. reporting in.

Think I need some tips on losing weight on Low Carb when you have hit a plateau. 55kgs. again.
Fluctuates mind you, sometimes its a few ounces over or a few ounces under or is that the mechanical scales at play. I said I would be content with getting to a healthy BMI but part of me would love to be at the weight I used to be in my young days, which entails losing a few more pounds. Probably eating far too many calories so think I need to do some serious IF, if I can discipline myself enough.

Coming up to my Dx anniversary this month and I have just received a letter asking me to book my annual eye and feet scan. Hardly seems a year but what a change a year has brought - and for the good too. Apart from D of course.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Want to give you a "winner" for the weight loss and for your amazing resilience but will officially hit the "hug" button for the pain you are going through. Hope those Docs at Sunderland General are doing a good work on your behalf.
C.
They are brilliant team at the Bariatric Unit. I've been private for fertility treatment In London so I can compare surgeons but I'm happy at Sunderland Royal. They are being thorough. A&E last week were good too even though a very busy unit. I had my CT scan through the night because of pain and bleeding orally with black waste. I topped myself up with painkillers to be able to sleep off and on til discharge. I'm awaiting surgeons response to endoscopy done Thursday and biopsies results now. Privately it is a quicker turnaround but it is winter for the nhs so I'm understanding.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They are brilliant team at the Bariatric Unit. I've been private for fertility treatment In London so I can compare surgeons but I'm happy at Sunderland Royal. They are being thorough. A&E last week were good too even though a very busy unit. I had my CT scan through the night because of pain and bleeding orally with black waste. I topped myself up with painkillers to be able to sleep off and on til discharge. I'm awaiting surgeons response to endoscopy done Thursday and biopsies results now. Privately it is a quicker turnaround but it is winter for the nhs so I'm understanding.
I used to work in a hospital many moons ago, I was not medical staff. On the whole the consultants were great, really caring but some had mighty egos that got in the way of their work at times. Great that you have confidence in your consultant - half the battle isn't it.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Gosh it's not easy for you is it?
People think putting my on weight would be easy, but for some of us it's as difficult as losing it can be for others.
And now trying to keep BG low it's harder than ever.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
C. reporting in.

Think I need some tips on losing weight on Low Carb when you have hit a plateau. 55kgs. again.
Fluctuates mind you, sometimes its a few ounces over or a few ounces under or is that the mechanical scales at play. I said I would be content with getting to a healthy BMI but part of me would love to be at the weight I used to be in my young days, which entails losing a few more pounds. Probably eating far too many calories so think I need to do some serious IF, if I can discipline myself enough.

Coming up to my Dx anniversary this month and I have just received a letter asking me to book my annual eye and feet scan. Hardly seems a year but what a change a year has brought - and for the good too. Apart from D of course.

Ryhia - 55kg, unless you are a very petite person, you can't be far away from your target weight?

Many people find they have a weight sweet spot, as well as a blood sugar sweet spot. Yours couldn't be 55kg?

One thing I would ask to you ask of yourself is if you do go ninja-whatever-way-of-eating, to force off the last x amount of weight, would you be able to maintain that, or would the struggle to lose it simply be replaced by the struggle to keep it off?

Whilst BMI is a very blunt tool indeed, unless we are tiny, super tall, extreme athlete or have other health conditions driving the requirements it is useful as a rule of thumb.

I'm very slight myself, with a low BMI. A coupl of years ago, at a health fair, there was diabetes charity (in this instance not Diabetes UK), doing a sort of know your risk exercise, easuring height, weight, random blood glucose, and other body composition, using a very, very posh scale, with print outs.

Interestingly their suggested "perfect" BMI was around 22.

It was a fun and interesting process to go through as a previously diagnosed T2, in decent shape. :)

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
77.8kg this week, thats a slight gain. But i got into "healthy BMI last week and went out for a curry over the weekend so im happy enough.

I'm probably going to hover around the high 70's now but im keeping posting on here as it keeps it from creeping up!

Reactions: Ryhia

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ryhia - 55kg, unless you are a very petite person, you can't be far away from your target weight?

Many people find they have a weight sweet spot, as well as a blood sugar sweet spot. Yours couldn't be 55kg?

One thing I would ask to you ask of yourself is if you do go ninja-whatever-way-of-eating, to force off the last x amount of weight, would you be able to maintain that, or would the struggle to lose it simply be replaced by the struggle to keep it off?

Whilst BMI is a very blunt tool indeed, unless we are tiny, super tall, extreme athlete or have other health conditions driving the requirements it is useful as a rule of thumb.

I'm very slight myself, with a low BMI. A coupl of years ago, at a health fair, there was diabetes charity (in this instance not Diabetes UK), doing a sort of know your risk exercise, easuring height, weight, random blood glucose, and other body composition, using a very, very posh scale, with print outs.

Interestingly their suggested "perfect" BMI was around 22.

It was a fun and interesting process to go through as a previously diagnosed T2, in decent shape. :)

I am quite short, 5ft, but don't think I am particularly fine boned so at this stage of my life 55kgs maybe as you say my weight sweet spot. Don't know. Used to be 8 stone 2 in my youth, found if I went below this weight, the weight was difficult to maintain although did manage to stay at 7 and a half stone for a time.. Would like to get down to 8 stone 2 just to feel what that is like as my body shape will have changed over the years. I also have quite a thick waist so could do with losing inches. Interesting I have found my shape changing even though I haven't been losing weight. Anyway , I'll see how I get on over the next few weeks. I'll keep posting as I find it useful to post even if I don't or can't lose weight; it helps my control. Regards C.