Finally had my first appointment

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Good grief that is some negligent practice being handed out to you. Just look it up online, wow, great and off you go. So, you do have a meter?

One of the problems apart from what's already been mentioned is that is makes your pancreas produce even more insulin, if you are insulin resistant then that drug makes insulin resistance worse.

Good thing you signed up here, you'll learn a lot on this forum from people.

TardisDee

Hi @Rowsie.
Try to avoid the dried apricots, I only eat then when sorry for this absolutely constipated, so not so good with your side effects!
We have keto chicken and casserole tonight from diet doctor recipes first time I've tried it, basically chicken in a creamy sauce with cauliflower cheese on top, I'm really looking forward to it. May have to test it if it's done before my beloved gets home. I've got chia seeds in the cupboard which I've not been brave enough to use yet originally purchased to try and make sugar free marmalade as a couple of times a week I have toast loads of butter and a scrape of marmalade for breakfast that's my weakness but comes in within my 60-100 g carbs a day. We all have to have one weakness after all.
You certainly seem to be on the right track well done. When my beloved is home for breakfast we have the waffles from Dietdoctor and berries, it's the only time he has a breakfast indoors.

Sorry to jump on another’s post @Norfolkmell but I haven’t been brave enough to try chia seeds in a jam either (don’t like marmalade) however I did go back to an old Slimming World recipe and I make jam with a packet of frozen raspberries boiled down and then stir in about 3/4 packet of sugar free raspberry jelly crystals, then leave to set. Lovely with porridge. And as it has artificial sweetener in it, it satisfies my need for jam. You could try the same with oranges and orange jelly to get a low cal marmalade. Lovely on breakfast oat pancakes too.

Reactions: LindiePops

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Thanks @TardisDee I'll try that I had also thought of gelatine sheets, I don't mind having no sweetener in my marmalade. I'll give them all a go when we are in our new home, which should be in the next fortnight, after over a year waiting!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to jump on another’s post @Norfolkmell but I haven’t been brave enough to try chia seeds in a jam either (don’t like marmalade) however I did go back to an old Slimming World recipe and I make jam with a packet of frozen raspberries boiled down and then stir in about 3/4 packet of sugar free raspberry jelly crystals, then leave to set. Lovely with porridge. And as it has artificial sweetener in it, it satisfies my need for jam. You could try the same with oranges and orange jelly to get a low cal marmalade. Lovely on breakfast oat pancakes too.
Porridge probably isn’t a good idea. For most of us type 2 it causes quite a noticeable rise in blood glucose as it’s carb heavy.

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

Am I reading this right @Rowsie? Your doctor has prescribed an oral hypoglycaemic and is refusing to prescribe blood glucose testing equipment?

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Porridge probably isn’t a good idea. For most of us type 2 it causes quite a noticeable rise in blood glucose as it’s carb heavy.
Luckily as I stay within 60-100 carbs porridge doesn't spike me, or toast and I stay within limit, and I don't have it every day perhaps once a week, other days it's bacon and scrambled egg.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Luckily as I stay within 60-100 carbs porridge doesn't spike me, or toast and I stay within limit, and I don't have it every day perhaps once a week, other days it's bacon and scrambled egg.
Well if your meter shows good numbers at 2 (and 3 hrs as it can be a slow spike) you’re obviously a lucky one!

Many of us find particular foods worse (or better) than the carb count alone would have us expect, like a sensitivity to that particular item. Grains are commonly in that category.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well if your meter shows good numbers at 2 (and 3 hrs as it can be a slow spike) you’re obviously a lucky one!

Many of us find particular foods worse (or better) than the carb count alone would have us expect, like a sensitivity to that particular item. Grains are commonly in that category.
There has to be some consolation prizes in life! What I can't eat is anything pepper related as I'm highly allergic and tend to stop breathing, try eating out and being safe can't be anywhere near my beloved if he has chilli and can't have pepper in the house.

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So first day on the tablets. My readings have gone from 13.2 to 8.5, the lowest I’ve seen it. Side effects have kicked in though and I’m getting my steps in from the bathroom and back. I’m on one 500mg metformin first thing, do the side effects get better? This is really inspiring me to lose weight asap!!
So @Rowsie how are doing on day 2? I think I've either picked up a bug or the chicken casserole was to blame but I've had nothing but side effects today, my BG is good though, and I expect the scales will show a difference tomorrow.
I hope your side effects have calmed down along with you BG?

Rowsie

Hi all, sorry for the slow reply. My stomach has settled, woo hoo. I’m eating as low carb as I can. I’m still finding it all confusing so we are having a lot of chicken and green veg.
Yes @Jim Lahey my doctors told me no strips or testing bits would be provided. I checked online and they have referred me to one of the training courses, thank goodness. I’ve got 3 more days of the Gliclazide left to take. My blood sugar levels are around 5-7 pre meal. I’m finding when I take my dog on long walks I’m feeling a little light headed and sick, so I am guessing that’s my blood sugars dipping, so I’ll be glad to be off of them.
The good news is I’ve lost 2kg since my doctors visit 2 weeks ago, the bad news is I’ve gone down a dress size, it’s costing me a fortune in new clothes!
Thanks everyone for all your help x

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Rowsie,
Glad to hear you are making progress. Can you remember what course you've been put on? I've not been on any but several people on here have with varying reports.
Glad your tummy has settled. Yes we should have warned you that new clothes go along with LCHF, I kept wearing my top sizes for a while as I didn't really believe that the weight would stay off so when I got around to getting three sizes smaller everyone was very complimentary. I'm now five sizes smaller. You get the odd person who tell you " oh you look dreadful all drawn and skinny" but they are just jealous as they are still paying out for slimming clubs and getting nowhere!

Rowsie

Hi @Norfolkmell, it looks like I’ve been referred for a Desmond course. What’s confusing me, amongst everything else, is red meat. Can I have beef or lamb? Some people seem to say yes, some say no?

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There are several forums about Desmond you might like to read. Letter to Desmond is a recent one.
I find that as long as you test and record you will find what you can tolerate and what really spikes your BG. We have quite a bit of lamb, beef and chicken not so much pork. A lot of members eat nothing but meat and others are vegetarians. There's no point restricting yourself before you try it and see what the results are. Dietdoctor has loads of recipes for all kinds of meat, it's not a free website but has low carb bread, waffles, cakes breakfasts and main meals. Some members do intermittent fasting, others one meal a day, everyone is different and most do follow LCHF but whatever you follow has to fit in with what you like and what fits in with you, your family. My beloved will eat almost anything as long as it comes with meat or fish so sometimes I'll have a veggie meal and just give him steak or a burger.
You sound as if you're doing ok, feel free to pm me if you think I can help.
Have a good weekend

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go for the meat. It’s not likely to do much at all to your bgl. It won’t be omnivores telling you not to by and large. Up to you who you listen to. In your shoes be guided by your meter.

oh and diet doctor is a free site for loads of stuff, recipes, info diagrams etc. They have a paid section but you don’t need to sign up to it

Rowsie

Thanks @Norfolkmell and @HSSS. I’m not normally a fan of beef but for some reason I really fancy it. I’m coping okay at home with a full fridge of food, some of which I can even eat. I’m feeling hungry at times and struggling to find flavour in my meals. I need to hit the forums for some inspiration. I’m not a huge egg fan and had a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast omelette, which has put me off.
I’m trying to test how things affect me, but I’m still trying to get my head around it. I find myself thinking about food all the time, what can I eat, what can I cook tonight etc. Trying to fit life around looking up recipes at the moment. I was starving at lunchtime and had a tin of tuna and some cucumber. I was going to put it in a wrap but the Carbs were huge. I feel like my whole life is diabetes at the moment. I know this is new to me, so I hope his settles down and my life gets back to some kind of normality.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Norfolkmell and @HSSS. I’m not normally a fan of beef but for some reason I really fancy it. I’m coping okay at home with a full fridge of food, some of which I can even eat. I’m feeling hungry at times and struggling to find flavour in my meals. I need to hit the forums for some inspiration. I’m not a huge egg fan and had a bacon, egg and cheese breakfast omelette, which has put me off.
I’m trying to test how things affect me, but I’m still trying to get my head around it. I find myself thinking about food all the time, what can I eat, what can I cook tonight etc. Trying to fit life around looking up recipes at the moment. I was starving at lunchtime and had a tin of tuna and some cucumber. I was going to put it in a wrap but the Carbs were huge. I feel like my whole life is diabetes at the moment. I know this is new to me, so I hope his settles down and my life gets back to some kind of normality.
It does feel like that in the early days. But you get used to what’s ok and what’s not fairly quickly. As you say it’s finding that core base of meals that work. Keeping it simple I start with the meat, add some Salad/veg/dairy and then add some more of both to replace where the carbs would have been on the plate!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, sorry for the slow reply. My stomach has settled, woo hoo. I’m eating as low carb as I can. I’m still finding it all confusing so we are having a lot of chicken and green veg.
Yes @Jim Lahey my doctors told me no strips or testing bits would be provided. I checked online and they have referred me to one of the training courses, thank goodness. I’ve got 3 more days of the Gliclazide left to take. My blood sugar levels are around 5-7 pre meal. I’m finding when I take my dog on long walks I’m feeling a little light headed and sick, so I am guessing that’s my blood sugars dipping, so I’ll be glad to be off of them.
The good news is I’ve lost 2kg since my doctors visit 2 weeks ago, the bad news is I’ve gone down a dress size, it’s costing me a fortune in new clothes!
Thanks everyone for all your help x
Rowsie - do you drive? If you do, you should be testing your blood sugars when taking Gliclazide.

How many Gliclazide did your Doctor prescribe for you? Just enough for the 7 days you mention, or did the prescription provide more tablets than that?

Your lightheadedness whilst walking could be your numbers coming down lower than you are used to. It could be coming down lower than you want, or it could also be going high. Some people find exercise has unexpected impacts.

Right now, in my view, you need to be testing intensively to get a load of feedback from your body. That feedback is what will inform you of your personalised way forward.

Keep at it.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Ellenor2000

Rowsie - do you drive? If you do, you should be testing your blood sugars when taking Gliclazide.

How many Gliclazide did your Doctor prescribe for you? Just enough for the 7 days you mention, or did the prescription provide more tablets than that?

Your lightheadedness whilst walking could be your numbers coming down lower than you are used to. It could be coming down lower than you want, or it could also be going high. Some people find exercise has unexpected impacts.

Right now, in my view, you need to be testing intensively to get a load of feedback from your body. That feedback is what will inform you of your personalised way forward.

Keep at it.
Is it not so that you should test your glucose regardless of whether you drive when it comes to insulin secretagogues?

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Rowsie for wraps replace with your favourite lettuce or cabbage leaf depending how much crunch you want, I use that for wraps and pitta bread and burger buns. There's also a low carb chocolate fudge, it makes 24 I freeze them individually and have one when I crave a little bit of something sweet, by the time I've got it out of the freezer and popped it in my mouth, by the time it's gone so has the craving.
I don't like eggs either I do have the very occasional one egg omlette filled with cheese mushrooms and tomatoes so it isn't very eggy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it not so that you should test your glucose regardless of whether you drive when it comes to insulin secretagogues?

The basic need to test relates to the driving aspect, but the degree of testing is about learning about our body's reaction to what we eat, drink and what's going on with us and around us.