Fire Service and pumps.

Jack2311

Hi, this is my first post here although I have been diagnosed with T1 diabetes for quite a few years now. I am currently on multiple injections but my HbA1C has gradually increased ( mainly due to DP and insulin resistance ) to 70.
My nurse suggested a pump which has been approved. I should be getting one ( not sure what one ) in a few months time.
My concern is that I am a whole time firefighter and wondered if there are any fire service personnel here who use a pump ? If so, is there a certain make that is ok in a fire situation ? What are the negatives ? What should I do ? Lastly, what pump would you recommend ( I need one that can cope with fairly high doses due to insulin resistance ).
Many thanks in advance.
Jack :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi Jack,
Not sure about fire service but we have a paramedic on a pump as a member.
As for type you’ll need to talk to your team because not all pumps are supported across the different CCGs.

Jack2311

Thanks for reply Diakat. I am unsure what pumps will be on offer as yet. I asked for a rough estimate on wait time and was told Spring.
If anyone has any experience of pumps and extreme heat etc I would be grateful to hear from you.
Thanks again :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for reply Diakat. I am unsure what pumps will be on offer as yet. I asked for a rough estimate on wait time and was told Spring.
If anyone has any experience of pumps and extreme heat etc I would be grateful to hear from you.

Hello, that’s a tricky one because insulin won’t survive in extreme heat and it could potentially damage your pump. I guess you’ll have to ask your team where they stand on you using a pump with a dangerous temperature for insulin and pump.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Medtronic 670G and from reading the guide, I should avoid exposing my pump in extreme temperatures below 5° and above 40°. So that’s something for you to think about.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might want to find out what they offer sooner rather than later, I've just been trying to get a pump and found out that my hospital offer one pump (ie. no choice) and if you want a different one you need a very good reason and it'll take a lot longer as they need to put in an Individual Funding Request (that's the bit that will take the time - 5-6 months apparently)

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi Jack, you can get grip bags to go over pump and keep it cool. I would suggest that would be essential. My concern would be the cannula and tubing melting
Hi, this is my first post here although I have been diagnosed with T1 diabetes for quite a few years now. I am currently on multiple injections but my HbA1C has gradually increased ( mainly due to DP and insulin resistance ) to 70.
My nurse suggested a pump which has been approved. I should be getting one ( not sure what one ) in a few months time.
My concern is that I am a whole time firefighter and wondered if there are any fire service personnel here who use a pump ? If so, is there a certain make that is ok in a fire situation ? What are the negatives ? What should I do ? Lastly, what pump would you recommend ( I need one that can cope with fairly high doses due to insulin resistance ).
Many thanks in advance.
Jack :)