Finally had my first appointment

M

Member496333

I was under the impression that testing equipment is [supposed to be] offered to those using insulin or hypoglycaemic medicines because they can potentially cause hypoglycaemia irrespective of any plans to drive. Happy to be corrected, of course.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was under the impression that testing equipment is [supposed to be] offered to those using insulin or hypoglycaemic medicines because they can potentially cause hypoglycaemia irrespective of any plans to drive. Happy to be corrected, of course.
I'd agree, but for someone who drives, they have the potential to be flouting the law.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a non driver, so I’m not sure if that’s what made the difference ?
So you won’t break that law, but without testing how can you know if you are heading towards hypo territory?

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
There is a letter on this site that you can give to your GP to put at least the lancets and strips on repeat. I didn't need to use it though. Surprised that if your GP was clued up about low carb not to realise you need to test.

Rowsie

@Norfolkmell she did refer to testing but dismissed it saying a lot of people tested but it’s no good most of the time as they don’t do anything with the results. Then she went onto day that ‘well we wouldn’t supply any of that for you anyway’ Thinking outside the box I was wondering if I went to an online pharmacy I could get them there free? They have prescribing doctors?

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gosh I’ve no idea! I’ll have a search for the letter as it refers to guidelines, unless anyone else has a link? It maybe linked in advice to newbies I think. Give me a while and I’ll find it for you, new iPad wishes to do everything different!

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Rowsie
Under home, guides, living with diabetes, NHS, availability of big test strips. I have no idea how to make a link sorry! I’ll keep looking for the letter.

Reactions: Rowsie

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nope can’t find it even searching for it but found out lots of interesting things on the way such as if you buy your own strips you shouldn’t pay VAT, and meters that link to your mobile, but considering after three years I can still only just make a call on mine there’s not much hope of me coping with a smart meter. Plus my beloved is setting up a new watch that will tell him if I’ve fallen, had a difference in heart rate plus an sos button and gps tracking so he knows where I am. I can also apparently use it instead of my mobile to make a call like a security secret agent. Am I going to cope NO!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn’t matter that you are low carb or not, a driver or not. That medication has a risk of hypoglycaemia and you should be able to test and protect yourself.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well this 'they' did a lot with the readings for my meter - like reversing the process and returning to normal readings - methinks your doctor is not as all knowing as she thinks she is.