What are good foods to keep you warm?

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being bitten by cats. And women.
I don't necessarily mean hot foods of course. But I have to confess that I am drawn to eating hot things like porridge, mainly to keep warm in a cold house in mid winter. I can only drink so many cups of tea! But am I missing out on something that would be more healthy, from a diabetic point of view?
I can't say that I feel any different if I have a high protein meal such as eggs and ham.
Suggestions welcomed, especially very cheap ones.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cauliflower cheese, endless variations.
Cottage/shepherds pie with a mashed celeriac topping.

Reactions: Lotties

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Low carb soups, Bovril and mug cakes

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can't go wrong with soup :)
Sometimes if I fancy a change from tea I have a cup of hot sugar-free squash, I think I have the tastebuds of a small child but it tastes better than most of the flavoured teas you can get, which always smell nicer than they taste :hilarious:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oohhhhh hot Ribena - yum! Sugar free, of course!

Reactions: Struma

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A nice stew that has been slowly cooked for hours, like ox tail or such. Or a thick onion soup with lots of grated cheese.

Reactions: Cat32 and Chook

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally - when cold I put on a nice thick woolen jumper. I might add some hand made socks if it is really cold, as there is much to be said for insulation.

Reactions: Struma

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Soup, soup, oh...and soup. You can make it as low carb as you want with very cheap veg even when the veg is at the end of ts shelf life. I do this and then pop it in a flask for work and sip on it all day long. x

Reactions: Chook
D

Deleted member 308541

Our home is not heated in winter either, we normally eat the same food as the rest of the year just with a larger quantity of veggies

We have a lot of curried meats and veggies, steak, roasts, pork and mutton chops for dinner, bacon and eggs etc. for breakfast,

We drink black coffee or tea, water, beer, sometimes cuppa soups.

Reactions: Sosgez

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't necessarily mean hot foods of course. But I have to confess that I am drawn to eating hot things like porridge, mainly to keep warm in a cold house in mid winter. I can only drink so many cups of tea! But am I missing out on something that would be more healthy, from a diabetic point of view?
I can't say that I feel any different if I have a high protein meal such as eggs and ham.
Suggestions welcomed, especially very cheap ones.

Another vote for soup or a slow cooked casserole from me. A whole load of "stuf" lobbed into the pressure cooker, or slow cooker, then give it all a decent ignoring for a few hours.

Dish up, in a deep bowl, and dive in.

Winner, winner, fridge clear dinner!

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We have a lot of curried meats and veggies, steak, roasts, pork and mutton chops for dinner, bacon and eggs etc. for breakfast,
That sounds like a better menu than I've got here. Have you got room for one more ?

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Another vote for soup or a slow cooked casserole from me. A whole load of "stuf" lobbed into the pressure cooker, or slow cooker, then give it all a decent ignoring for a few hours.
The trouble is, I can so easily eat the whole contents of the slow cooker, in about 3 hours. It's a normal sized one too. But then I usually pass out...

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I wasn’t aware food kept you warm, it doesn’t have that affect on me!

Sosgez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wasn’t aware food kept you warm, it doesn’t have that affect on me!
I know what you mean, because I definitely feel cold after taking a meal, for 30 minutes or so.

I think more blood passes through my digestive system and less in the periphery. But cold makes me want to eat more, so its a positive feedback situation and I probably end up eating more than I need. So its very easy to get into a pattern of multiple high carb snacks in quick succession. e.g. eating a whole packet of biccies or multi-pack of crisps.

Eventually I would feel the benefit and warm up but I've probably had 10 times the calories I needed.

Anyway, that was the past and I'm a Good Boy now, and eat neither of those at all.