Newbie Trying The Newcastle Study

dalgeo

Hi All.

I'm new here!

Been type 2 for about 2 and a half years. I'm on Metformin and Simvastatin. I take 1 Metformin (rather than the prescribed 2) and manage to keep my bloods level, with an average reading of 5.5. I do have the (very) occasional hypo, but usually get a taste in my mouth that warns me that they are coming.

Went to see my doctor and asked about the study. He told me it was awaste of time as I'd put weight back on when I started eating properly again and my diabetes would return.

So anyway, as a typical Scouser I'm ignoring him and going to go ahead with it.

Planning to use Slimfast (mixed with water) and going to start on Friday 28th Sept. That way I've got the weekend off work for the hardest - first few days. I'm expecting to feel cold and tired, with some dizziness too.

Just a couple of question for anyone who's been on this journey;

I take Diabtone vitamins. Shall I keep on taking these?

I play football twice a week. How did anyone find playing sport during the first part of the diet? Did it bring on any hypos?

Fingers crossed and any hints / tips would be VERY welcome.

Cheers

Dave :)

minn

I missed my exercise class last week for reasons not related to the diet- am planning to go this week but will use the ready mixed shake which is made with skim milk rather than water. It will be a change of flavour and the extra 30 cal should help me get through the class. Best of luck

dalgeo

Cheers Min - good luck on yours.

I started it this morning. Decided to just go for it.

Bg before the breakfast shake. 5.6
Bg an hour afterwards. 5.7

So far so good. 1 hour down, 7 weeks, 6 days and 23 hours to go!

Cheers

Dave

pixor

My fasting levels have been between 4 and 5 after the first few days, and I rang my diabetic nurse as I was worried about having a hypo. She told me that as I was just on Metformin, and not Gliclizide, I shouldn't have a hypo. It's the sulphonureas you have be careful about, I was told.

I'm still doing exercise (occasional gym sessions), but haven't had a problem (other than being tired the first week).

Good luck!

dalgeo

Post the diet my fasting bloods are usually around 4 or 4.2 unless I eat something late on the night before.

I can now tolerate eating white bread without feeling dizzy and am managing by diet rather than metformin.

Breakfast is now some museli, lunch a salad and a normal healthy dinner.

However I dropped to 3.2 just before lunch the other day so it may take me some time to balance things.

Any tips from anyone who's done the trial (or hasn't for that matter) would be welcome.

Thanks

Dave

youngmanfrank

I have recently completed my version of the Newcastle Diet and all I can say is go for it.I knew my doctor would not co-operate so I went with 3xSlimfast meals+3xbowl of salad per day for the first month,in the second month I introduced a small evening meal instead of the third Slimfast.

I lost 10kgs during the 8 weeks,ending up at 12 stone exactly,which is what I weighed in my 20's (now 62).Biggest tip I can offer is to double or treble your daily exercise to avoid muscle wastage and consequent weight rebound.After the first couple of days the body learns to run off body fat,the liver stores are soon exhausted,and weight loss increases.

My bloods all came back within the normal range at the end of my diet and I am now going for 3 months off meds to see whether I can maintain this.Seven weeks on weight is still 12 stone.