Balsam of Peru Allergy

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A dermatologist has told me to avoid foods containing balsam of Peru. As this is found in many places, eg "flavourings", it's not so easy to avoid.

My usual hypo treatments, till now, have been orange juice or jelly babies, but the information sheet I've been given says to avoid sweets and citrus fruit juices. I have looked at glucose tablets but they seem to contain "flavourings" and/or citric acid.

Can anyone suggest a hypo treatment for me that will be easy to carry around?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glucose powder? Never heard of this balsam.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @xfieldok. The only glucose powder I have seen online is in 450g or 1kg bags, or in flavoured sachets. The flavoured ones are no good and the other packs too heavy.

Doing further research, I have read that citric acid itself doesn't cause allergies, so it looks like Dextro Energy Classic glucose tablets should be ok.

Reactions: xfieldok

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A dermatologist has told me to avoid foods containing balsam of Peru. As this is found in many places, eg "flavourings", it's not so easy to avoid.

My usual hypo treatments, till now, have been orange juice or jelly babies, but the information sheet I've been given says to avoid sweets and citrus fruit juices. I have looked at glucose tablets but they seem to contain "flavourings" and/or citric acid.

Can anyone suggest a hypo treatment for me that will be easy to carry around?

Sugar cubes, or those sachets of sugar usually provided in cafes? I'm sure they could be sourced on eBay or Amazon, if necessary. Sucrose, not quite so fast as glucose, perhaps, but easily found.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sugar cubes, or those sachets of sugar usually provided in cafes? I'm sure they could be sourced on eBay or Amazon, if necessary. Sucrose, not quite so fast as glucose, perhaps, but easily found.
Thanks @DCUKMod you just reminded me of my late father-in-law who would take home any sachets of sugar from cafes, just in case he ran out of sugar.:)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oops, my husband is just back from the shops and was unable to find in flavoured glucose tablets. So much for shopping locally, Amazon here I come.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can buy this, or maybe a similar item cheaper?
https://www.mkuh.nhs.uk/patient-information-leaflet/use-of-glucogel
As far as I could check it is straight glucose.

Or buy glucose powder and make your own mini jellies with any approved fruit? Cook the fruit without water until thick then mash/sieve it and add the glucose, set measured quantities into mini muffin or icecube trays then store in fridge?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I have ordered unflavoured glucose tablets from Amazon. I thought they were awful over 40 years ago, after diagnosis, but hopefully my more mature tastebuds will think they are ok now.

My list of "no" foods includes cakes and pastries. I presume it means shop bought ones but am not sure. I would have to look at all the ingredients involved.
Thanks again everyone.