Download festival - advice wanted please!!!!!

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

I am going to Download festival this year with my partner and some good friends. I used to live with the friends so they know my danger signs and have helped to deal with my hypos. Been with my partner for 6 years so he knows the drill.

First festival i've been to, i know to expect a lot of mud and not a lot of sleep. I'm taking no valuables and i'm buying a bumbag to carry around my testing kit, injections, needles, glucotabs, money and phone in. I know we'll probably get separated a lot in the crowd. We'll be on our feet most of the day, making it a lot more active than my normal day, so i'm debating reducing my Tresiba. I do NOT want a hypo when certain bands (KISS and Iron Maiden are headliners) are on. Before we set off i will be getting fresh injections out of the fridge, including spares for my bumbag. I am not leaving insulin and needles in the tent where anyone can get at them.

We are getting the coach down for 5 nights. Any other advice would be much appreciated!

Reactions: Barb McD

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One thing you could do if possible is get a one-off Freestyle Libre (presuming you don't already use them) then you literally can test every 5 mins should you wish (presuming your phone has NFC of course) so you'll be able to keep a much closer eye on your levels.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing you could do if possible is get a one-off Freestyle Libre (presuming you don't already use them) then you literally can test every 5 mins should you wish (presuming your phone has NFC of course) so you'll be able to keep a much closer eye on your levels.
Good idea! I'm not currently eligible for the Libre in my area, but i will ask my DSN about it! It would make things miles easier. Little wary of being knocked about in the crowd and damaging it, as some of the glue lifted on the ones I've trialed before.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good idea! I'm not currently eligible for the Libre in my area, but i will ask my DSN about it! It would make things miles easier. Little wary of being knocked about in the crowd and damaging it, as some of the glue lifted on the ones I've trialed before.

Wear it on the inside of your arm, much better/safer in crowds!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've done a few festivals in my time. (Even played a few myself.)
Sounds to me like you're organised.. :)

Frio wallet for insulin incase it gets hot.

Looking at the line up I've seen many of these bands. If your not keen on getting jostled? Keep to the sidelines regarding Korn & SOAD! ;) It can get brutal.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've done a few festivals in my time. (Even played a few myself.)
Sounds to me like you're organised.. :)

Frio wallet for insulin incase it gets hot.

Looking at the line up I've seen many of these bands. If your not keen on getting jostled? Keep to the sidelines regarding Korn & SOAD! ;) It can get brutal.
Good idea - summertime so insulin may get a little warm. My fella has been to a few, he's warned me about Iron Maiden's "Wall of Death", i am intrigued! But also very clumsy, may not be the best place for me :( personally i'm more into soft rock, so i'll be watching bands like the Pretty Reckless and Daughtry. But Iron Maiden and KISS are must-watches!

Reactions: porl69

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good idea - summertime so insulin may get a little warm. My fella has been to a few, he's warned me about Iron Maiden's "Wall of Death", i am intrigued! But also very clumsy, may not be the best place for me :( personally i'm more into soft rock, so i'll be watching bands like the Pretty Reckless and Daughtry. But Iron Maiden and KISS are must-watches!

I've never had the pleasure of seeing Maiden. But I saw Kiss when they put the makeup back on..
It was all rather silly.

Don't forget your hypo treatment. If yer chap can carry some too? All the better.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had the pleasure of seeing Maiden. But I saw Kiss when they put the makeup back on..
It was all rather silly.

Don't forget your hypo treatment. If yer chap can carry some too? All the better.
I need to nag my doctor to start giving me the tubes of Glucogel again, instead of the rubbishy plastic bottles...

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should download "what3words" app. Its fantastic in general but also brilliant for festivals. This is nothing to do with Diabetes, apart form that it helps you get to your group. But basically, if you don’t know the app it breaks every square meter of planet into three random words. So "Band-Carrot-list” is a specific location on the planet.

You can share your location with your friends and meet up. So in the huge field they or you can get through the crowd to each other rather then the old school “im about 30 people behind the sign that says “I need a S***T” on the right of the stage.”.

You should look into it, its very good and i have used it at festivals before, just walked right through 1000’s of people to my wife.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should download "what3words" app. Its fantastic in general but also brilliant for festivals. This is nothing to do with Diabetes, apart form that it helps you get to your group. But basically, if you don’t know the app it breaks every square meter of planet into three random words. So "Band-Carrot-list” is a specific location on the planet.

You can share your location with your friends and meet up. So in the huge field they or you can get through the crowd to each other rather then the old school “im about 30 people behind the sign that says “I need a S***T” on the right of the stage.”.

You should look into it, its very good and i have used it at festivals before, just walked right through 1000’s of people to my wife.

Your right about the W3W app.. Makes a good car finder in massive car parks. You could use it to locate a tent too..

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Id secure my libre ( if you have one ) so it wont get knocked off and Tresiba is not known for its flexability , im on it and when i know im going to be more active ( like next week on a holiday) id reduce by 1 unit 3 days before my holiday Tresiba is a pain as you will know for not being flexible but if youre dancing i would consider a drop ....before i went ...ENJOY

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again

Thinking i'm gonna take some decent blister patches to wear under my thick socks - last thing i want is an open blister getting infected in those conditions! You all know as diabetics we are prone to feet issues!

Any festival goers who can recommend a decent blister patch that comes in a variety of sizes? :) Scholl ones don't tend to stick very well

Reactions: porl69

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi again

Thinking i'm gonna take some decent blister patches to wear under my thick socks - last thing i want is an open blister getting infected in those conditions! You all know as diabetics we are prone to feet issues!

Any festival goers who can recommend a decent blister patch that comes in a variety of sizes? :) Scholl ones don't tend to stick very well

Compeed ones usually work well for me, especially under thick socks.

I would only add to all the useful advice above that it might be a good idea to wear some sort of medical id just in case you get separated from your group and a hypo comes on suddenly (here's hoping for hot and sunny weather instead of a typical British summer!) which you're unable to treat yourself...worst case scenario here but I've always felt more comfortable wearing something when standing in big outdoor crowds so people don't just assume you're drunk - I've never needed it luckily but felt happier wearing it. You can also put medical info on your phone which paramedics etc. should have been trained to look for in an emergency.

Finally, and most importantly, have an amazing time!!!

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Compeed ones usually work well for me, especially under thick socks.

I would only add to all the useful advice above that it might be a good idea to wear some sort of medical id just in case you get separated from your group and a hypo comes on suddenly (here's hoping for hot and sunny weather instead of a typical British summer!) which you're unable to treat yourself...worst case scenario here but I've always felt more comfortable wearing something when standing in big outdoor crowds so people don't just assume you're drunk - I've never needed it luckily but felt happier wearing it. You can also put medical info on your phone which paramedics etc. should have been trained to look for in an emergency.

Finally, and most importantly, have an amazing time!!!
Thank you @mariposa84 ! I've just seen a post about diabetic tattoos which i'm considering. I will probably get split up from my parter and friends at some point as there's different groups i'd like to see. Not had a really bad unconscious episode for several years so hopefully i won't here, but best to be prepared :) I've bought a bumbag to carry all my stuff with me and i have a frio bag on the way for the pens :)

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you @mariposa84 ! I've just seen a post about diabetic tattoos which i'm considering. I will probably get split up from my parter and friends at some point as there's different groups i'd like to see. Not had a really bad unconscious episode for several years so hopefully i won't here, but best to be prepared :) I've bought a bumbag to carry all my stuff with me and i have a frio bag on the way for the pens :)

A tattoo would be a bit too drastic for me....although I can see why people choose them.
You sound well prepared and frio bags are excellent!!