Newly diagnosed

Mscmhs1

Hi all,

just looking for a bit of advice.

Within the last year, I’ve had several blood tests ordered by my GP whilst investigating for other things. Results came back as being in the pre diabetic stage. Then I didn’t test for about six months but due to other health issues the doctor ordered new bloods. They’ve since come back with the following and I’m hoping someone can help me understand them.

HbA1c

54 mmol/l (7.1)

FASTING GLUCOSE

I’ve been called in tomorrow as GP wants to discuss results. Just want to try and prepare myself. Is this diabetes?

Thanks
Mscmhs

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The HbA1c level does indicate that you have diabetes I am afraid.

Normal is below 42, pre-diabetes is 42 to 47, above 48 is considered diabetes

Whether or not this is used as a definitive diagnosis, or there are further tests needed will vary depending on the GP concerned.

The fasting glucose test also appears to indicate diabetes

However, now you have found this forum, you are in the best place to find support and get helpful advice

Mscmhs1

I feel a but stupid for allowing myself to get to this point.

I know it’s not easy to say but is it likely i would need medication?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Mscmhs1 and welcome to the forum. As @britishpub says an HbA1c of 54 indicates diabetes but most surgeries will test a second time to be sure. I was diagnosed at an HbA1c of 70 and chose to take the mildest drug for type 2 which is Metformin. At your level you could ask to try diet only, many on this forum have achieved non diabetic levels by lowering their carbohydrate intake.
Here is a link to useful info we offer to newbies:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Lastly please don’t “feel stupid for allowing yourself to get to this point”, some of us just develop an intolerance of carbs whilst others eat all sorts of junk and get away with it.

Edit: just to add that I do eat a low carb diet too!

Last edited: