Keto - exercise

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good evening all,

Hope you all had a great weekend. I was hoping to find someone who has done any work with ketogenic diets and exercise as a type 1 diabetic. I’ve been running very low carb/keto since 1st December with unbelievable positive effects on my blood gluco control. I’m planning to ride lands end to John O’Groat next year and just starting peddling again. I had read about dr Ian Lake (type1keto) that he didn’t need to really load with carbs while doing his challenge as the body was using fats as energy. However I’ve been needing carbs while exercising and wondering if I’m missing something?

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :)
I’ve been low carbing for almost 4 years. my bs level stays stable during exercise (but cannot comment on intensive exercise... I run 20 min and do moderate weight resistance training only..) what I make sure is I don’t exercise when fast acting insulin is on board. I find my bs level becomes volatile and unpredictable most when I have carbs and insulin and I find mixing with exercise makes it a bit tricky :)

When you say you need carbs while exercising, is that because you are having hypo or because you feel you need more energy. If you are having hypo from exercise without bolus insulin on board I would lower basal, if you feel you need more energy I’d eat more fat and protein. Good luck ! :-D

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently I’m getting on my indoor trainer bike, approx 1-2hour sessions about 4 times a week. I’m building strength so intensity is reasonably low keeping my HR around 130-150bpm.

If I don’t keep topping up with carbs I’m hypoglycaemic after about 20 mins.

Currently regime

07:00 Breakfast - 6g carbs (approx)
12:00 Lunch - 10g carbs (approx)
17:30 train
19:30 Dinner - 12g carbs (approx)

I’m on an Omnipod so reduce my basil by 85% at 16:30 1 hour before training

Tonight 6.7mmol as I got on the bike, at 20 minutes bloods were at 4.2 ️ according to my freestyle.

Treat this with 1 running gel - 23g carbs. At 40 mins bloods were 4️ had 3x jelly babies.

Completed my ride (60 minutes) and bloods are 4.1mmol

Jeff_uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If I treat a hypo with jelly babies or some other carbs will I come out of Ketogenic state fast? And will it take a few days for my body to re-adjust to fat burning for energy?