T2D diet recommendations to gain weight

pauldm21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

probably an unusual question but I’m type 2 diabetic and feel like I need to gain weight. I’m 37, 5ft 8” and weigh 63kg. I’m fairly skinny if not too skinny. I’ve been diabetic since 2012. There is a fair bit of diabetes in my family, so given my age and shape, the doctors assumed it was in some way genetic - but after a few tests they ruled this out

my diabetes is fairly well controlled, but could definitely be better. My excuse is the long hours I work but I’ve changed jobs recently and might now have a bit more time for meal prep and making the right food choices.

I feel like I need to put weight on and don’t always having a big appetite. Every diet in diabetic books, newspaper pull-outs etc seem to be based on losing weight first. Obviously Simply eating bigger portions at meals isn’t an ideal solution either. Ideally I’d like to put on 5-8kg. Anyone have any recommendations specific foods or diets I could follow?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Nuts are loaded with calories. You can eat them as they are, or turn them into cakes and biscuits. Ground almonds are ideal to start you off as a flour substitute. This site has some good recipes and Keto web sites also have many good recipes. Then you can experiment with different nut flours which you grind using a coffee mill food processor. They are so calorific that I can't eat them as a snack, I add some protein powder and have them for breakfast.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would add further lean protein, beef, venison, etc and weight train to gain some additional muscle mass. Not only would you gain another glycemic control mechanism (muscle surface area), but studies I dictate a potential for healthier life is correlated with increased muscle mass.