What did you eat and not eat when you were a child

Ausra

Since i was a child i was not eating healthy..my parents were..because they grew up in those years when sweets and fast food was only being introduced to the world. And they lived in vilage growing they are own food..what can be more healthy than that..But i was born in a city and lived there my whole life. Only sometimes i had a chance to taste homegrown tomatoe or potatoe or anything else.
I never liked the way natural milk smelled so i always asked my mum to buy it 'from the shop'.
I liked meat. I liked potatoes, tomatoes and cucumbers. I liked my grandmothers made butter. I ate bread only to get a chance to taste the butter. I never ate bread in any other circumtances. Not white, not brown. Later I was introduced to porridge, pancakes, jam, sugar,..
My mum would add sugar to boiled eggs to make me eat them. I liked fried eggs, but not boiled.
She would add sugar to my porridge to make it taste better, to make me like it...Later followed ice creams..cakes...chocolate.... I didn't eat it a lot first, and didn't care about sugar much, i prefered something salty more then sweet.
But once i heard someone saying he likes reading when having a nice cup of tea with white chocolate..I liked the image..it felt so nice, so warm..cup of tea..chocolate..I decided to try it myself..I tried it once, twice, didn't like it first..too much mess..holding a cup in one hand..chocolate in other..book on your legs..when you need to turn the page you need to lick your fingers from chocolate..and then the pages turns itself back again..But I tried and tried again to like it and somehow i did, but by then i ate at least 6 chocolates in 2 weeks.
I got bored eventually and got attracted by advert 'A Mars a Day...'Such simple words, only 2 words really 'Mars' and 'Day'. And guess what i did for the rest of my days..Had a Mars a Day...Or i remember Pringles commercial saying 'Once you start you can't stop' It felt so cool then, I actually wanted to be not able to stop once i started..
That's how i became a normal person eating all that **** like all the other normal people did.
And here I am, not being able to stop once i started :)

Ausra

My parents are the last to blame. They didn't know what they were doing. They are more suffering on me having diabetes than me having it. What's your story?

WhitbyJet

Mum cooked everything from scratch, we had plenty of vegetables, Mum was baking oncce a week, Fridays we always had fish and chips. Chocolate and sweets a weekly treat. But I cheated, I spent my pocket money on sweets, traded my school dinner or packed lunches for sweets or money which I would use to by sweets with.
I was the only one in my family who was always hungry, I couldnt eat enough bread, my parents joked about me eating them out of house and home.
Things went from bad to worse when I moved out, too lazy and busy to cook I mostly survived on baked beans straight out of the tin and packets of Strawberry Angel Delight, for some reason I thought its quite healthy I didnt read labels in those days, and even if I did I doubt it would have bothered me).

From childhood I had different eating habits, and cravings compared to my siblings.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I ate an asian diet, chapatis/curry - butter galore...
I remember that mum did make us all drink milk, and added vitamin drops, and we had cod liver oil (yuck) and I remember eating a lot of boiled eggs for breakfast...without sugar though!
At 12 years I developed IBS and no one in my family was affected - so no more chapatis or white bread and on to brown bread, rice, pasta and significant increase in veg - but all in moderation. I was never one to eat massively and never really had a sweet tooth and didn't really have snack cravings my parents have never had a sweet tooth. I do recall school friend eating choc/crisps with a soft drink during break time though. I've always hated cold drinks so was able to stay away from soft drinks. We got a Friday choc/crisp treat from our dad who owns a newsagent.

At the end of the day we don't give ourselves Diabetes, it's going to get some of us no matter what - my parents are Type 2 and I'm classed as 'unsure' - but it's never too late to make adjustments and if the adjustments don't make a difference, well we just need to take some medicine to help :)

Ausra

Thank you for your stories WhitbyJet and Sanober!
It's not fair that some people eat whatever they like and stay healthy and some get sick. And it is even more not fair when you eat healthy and still get sick.
I got sick when I changed my diet from unhealthy to healthy..That is not fair too. That is so not fair.
Too big of a change to my body. But after all, I feel so much better when i am diabetic and still I hate being one. I really want to know why this have happened to me, to all of us.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Ausra said:
It's not fair that some people eat whatever they like and stay healthy and some get sick. And it is even more not fair when you eat healthy and still get sick.

I got sick when I changed my diet from unhealthy to healthy..That is not fair too. That is so not fair.
Too big of a change to my body. But after all, I feel so much better when i am diabetic and still I hate being one. I really want to know why this have happened to me, to all of us.

Tell me about it! I was and am the symbol of healthy living, running 10ks/5k races, going to the gym at least 3 times a week for the past few years but since Oct/Nov 2010 it's been one health issue after another for me. However, overall the Diabetes is the most annoying one!

You shouldn't ever be too drastic in switching diet, take your time and get as much advice and tips as possible, I've been officially diagnosed since March and I'm still very much a newbie - Diabetes unfortunately will be with us forever so we just need to tackle it one step at a time and you're amongst great supportive and certainly passionate people here.

All the best to you

Yasmin x

Helenababe

My parents were poor, but we always had nutritious meals made from scratch.

We had an orchard, so my mum used all the fruit to make chutney, jam, and pies. We had milk puddings once a week, and never shop bought cakes, or biscuits. We were only allowed sweets and choc once in a while.

Oh, and yes, we were also given the dreaded cod liver oil capsules!
Helena