HbBA1C Sky high

acurl141271

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very new to all this but just had my bloods back and the HbBA1c was 89 last year was 84 so thinking my meds are doing much good, don’t do much excise diet not brilliant but ok
Any advice

Reactions: Paulm80
D

Deleted member 308541

I got my T2 under control by eating low carb high fat food, and plenty of meat with it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
diet not brilliant but ok

Most of the T2s posting here find that diet is the most important thing. If you describe s typical day's diet I'm sure that suggestions can be made on how you can improve it.... Many of the fold on here have started with hba1cs higher than 89 and returned to normal blood sugar levels just by reducing their carbs.....

Reactions: ziggy_w

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It's always possible you could be a type 1/LADA. 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed as type 2's at first. You respond to diet changes and medications some at first because you still make some insulin for a while. I'm not saying you are, but keep it in mind just in case.

I'm not sure what you have been doing to change your situation, but for your numbers to drop if you are really a type 2 you do have to change what you eat and usually exercise can really help. Some minor or major changes in what you eat is required because that is what usually tips you over the edge so to speak to have a blood sugar issue in the first place. Soda, cookies, candy, cake, donuts etc in your diet will usually cause big issues in your numbers.

If you don't have a blood sugar meter get one, it will be one of the best investments you can make. It will allow you to see what your numbers do on a daily basis.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Very new to all this but just had my bloods back and the HbBA1c was 89 last year was 84 so thinking my meds are doing much good, don’t do much excise diet not brilliant but ok
Any advice

Precisely when were the HbA1c's done .....

Any response .. one year, 3 months?

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
my HbA1c is 64 and I watch what I eat although must admit did not over Christmas...on Humalog twice daily so eating low carb out of the question as will give me lows...eat three slices of sour dough bread per day and a Potato with main meal so I see how i go over next 6 months hope it goes down a bit

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my HbA1c is 64 and I watch what I eat although must admit did not over Christmas...on Humalog twice daily so eating low carb out of the question as will give me lows...eat three slices of sour dough bread per day and a Potato with main meal so I see how i go over next 6 months hope it goes down a bit
There’s options. If you want to eat low carb get the dr to lower your insulin or switch you to a basal bolus regime so you can adjust yourself depending on what you eat or try alternative meds that don’t risk hypo whilst reducing carbs.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Tried that but the Nurse said to carry on as I am ....

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s your choice.

They are there to advise not dictate.

Up to you if you want to demand and battle though. It’s a perfectly acceptable option even within the nhs and there are even guidelines available for hcp’s if they are not up to date enough already. I’ll try and find them for you.

here they are

https://bjgp.org/content/69/684/360

Last edited:
Reactions: PatsyB

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
thank you for that will have a read .

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Hi and welcome @acurl141271
There is a great deal of experience on this forum. Almost all of us have been where you are now. Could you give us a few details so we can point you in the right direction? This is a friendly bunch of people and you've done the hard bit by posting your first post!

AJO

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When first diagnosed I had blood levels as high as yours, to a point that I was regularly being sick! I cut out all sugar and alcohol and swiftly went on a low carb diet and within a year got my blood levels down to normal, I had managed to reverse my diabetes. Unfortunately due to the nature of diabetes it has gradually crept back up but not nearly as bad as before and my Hba1c levels are usually about 66 now.
I have found taking slow release Metformin at night helpful and Gliclazide. Also tablets for high blood pressure and Cholesterol.
Any amount of walking you can fit into your lifestyle will also help or gentle exercise such as swimming.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And how's that advice working for you? (Seriously, not a snide remark. Something to think about. IS it actually working for you? Or would you rather drop some medication by going low carb, and thus reducing the odds of complications?)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well normally I take advice from the medical team and even though I have asked about stopping Insulin they do nto seem to want me to

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well normally I take advice from the medical team and even though I have asked about stopping Insulin they do nto seem to want me to

Possibly because they are completely unaware of the benefits of a low carb diet?