coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi.
I have been experiencing extreme pain in the right side of my body (ribcage area) for five days now. It hurts to breathe deeply and absolutely kills to sneeze! I have no idea if ... or how ... I may have cracked a rib but that seems likely.
Is this something that is more likely with being diabetic, and will healing take longer?
Thank you in anticipation

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Best to go see a doctor. We could only guess here.
Thank you. I just wondered if anyone might know if bones are more fragile when diabetic really.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You'd know it if you cracked a rib. I seriously doubt it, but the doc can work that out

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never heard of breaking bone easier with diabetes. Get well soon!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Ribs can break in a normal person by even coughing to hard! I know someone it happened to! Years ago when I was sick, before diabetes I had a nasty cough and felt a pop and then it hurt to breath. I went to urgent care and it turns out in my case I dislocated the joint material that holds the ribs in place. I had to wear a rib belt for about 3-4 weeks until it healed (mostly). A few weird twists while lifting or falls and you can do all sorts of things. And healing as a diabetic can take longer.

Best to get to a doctor to have it checked!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
I have been experiencing extreme pain in the right side of my body (ribcage area) for five days now. It hurts to breathe deeply and absolutely kills to sneeze! I have no idea if ... or how ... I may have cracked a rib but that seems likely.
Is this something that is more likely with being diabetic, and will healing take longer?

Coby, pain in the chest or ribs could be caused by many, many things from a strain, to a chest infection to worse.

Personally, I wouldn't like to second guess things. Have a chat with your Doc?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coby, pain in the chest or ribs could be caused by many, many things from a strain, to a chest infection to worse.

Personally, I wouldn't like to second guess things. Have a chat with your Doc?
Thank you all. It's not that I was looking for a diagnosis .. sorry if it came across as such ... but just wished to find out if this could be a common factor with diabetics.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all. It's not that I was looking for a diagnosis .. sorry if it came across as such ... but just wished to find out if this could be a common factor with diabetics.

To be honest, Coby, my personal attitude is not to blame anything on diabetes, until proven. Too many people, including medics are happy to chirp up, "that'll be the diabetes", without really thinking about it. I don't buy that default response, but that's just me. :).

rachaelc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
The only risk I know is when I was prescribed rosiglitizone then pioglitizone, many years ago. It was brilliant at keeping my bloods under control, but I experienced a couple of very minor fractures then a broken ankle in a space of two years. I'd never had one before. On examining the info sheet I discovered at the bottom under, 'less common side effects', that research showed increased incidence of fractures in older women. I discovered online forums backing this and told my GP. She'd never heard of it & dismissed it, until I said it was on the info sheet. I came off the med. and went for density tests coming up as osteoplenic ie borderline. This cleared up after stopping the med. BTW I have no spleen as well as being T2D but have no problem healing at a normal rate. Look after your health and you'll be fine. Probably an intercostal muscle but get checked for reassurance. I should add I'm 70 and have been diagnosed for 21yrs.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The only risk I know is when I was prescribed rosiglitizone then pioglitizone, many years ago. It was brilliant at keeping my bloods under control, but I experienced a couple of very minor fractures then a broken ankle in a space of two years. I'd never had one before. On examining the info sheet I discovered at the bottom under, 'less common side effects', that research showed increased incidence of fractures in older women. I discovered online forums backing this and told my GP. She'd never heard of it & dismissed it, until I said it was on the info sheet. I came off the med. and went for density tests coming up as osteoplenic ie borderline. This cleared up after stopping the med. BTW I have no spleen as well as being T2D but have no problem healing at a normal rate. Look after your health and you'll be fine. Probably an intercostal muscle but get checked for reassurance. I should add I'm 70 and have been diagnosed for 21yrs.
Thank you for your interesting input Rachaelc. It does reassure me that I am perhaps needlessly concerned about fractures

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be honest, Coby, my personal attitude is not to blame anything on diabetes, until proven. Too many people, including medics are happy to chirp up, "that'll be the diabetes", without really thinking about it. I don't buy that default response, but that's just me. :).
I think you are right to have that attitude :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are right to have that attitude :)

The thing is, coby, I wanted to be treated as an individual, with the correct examinations and tests afforded to me, as if I had no pre-existing conditions. I don't want a closed mind, pre-diagnosing me, based on nothing more than laziness.

To be clear, not all medics or people are lazy, but whilst diabetes can't cause or be implicated in a lot of "stuff", it certainly isn't the universal root cause.

One may have had words with a Doctor about this in the pat. :angelic:

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The thing is, coby, I wanted to be treated as an individual, with the correct examinations and tests afforded to me, as if I had no pre-existing conditions. I don't want a closed mind, pre-diagnosing me, based on nothing more than laziness.

To be clear, not all medics or people are lazy, but whilst diabetes can't cause or be implicated in a lot of "stuff", it certainly isn't the universal root cause.

One may have had words with a Doctor about this in the past. :angelic:
Yes indeed!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
That always happened to me with MG now diabetes as well when I started losing sensation in my feet and went to my GP he put it down to my MG and said ask your neurologist about it it was obviously the start of noticeable signs of diabetes my next appointment with neuro was 6 months away.