What pudding can I have?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, several times with a Libre sensor & phone app so theres little need to test at varying times because its logged (bit like Data Logging in a race car, lots of meaningful results) with Sainsbury Greek yoghurt it bumps my FBG from an average of 5.5/6 to 8.5ish 2hrs later, rarely 9, with Lidl it always above 10, back Sainsbury tonight.
the coners dont have any real effect however most fruit does so I havent tried a fruit coner, whats the point.
I manage 68% of my life in target 5.2 -8.0, 26%% above target, 1% in the 13.3 range which is far too high but I'm still learning about foods since I had the Libre on the 9th Jan & 5% under target
i cam off my bike big style on the 7th Jan so havent ridden since except for 15mins on exercise bike which was enough.
I'm very lucky I have an active job, 55 / 60 hrs a week most weeks which is better than the 80 hrs a week 3 years ago and the 100 to 110 hrs a week (sometimes 135) when I was diagnosed in 2005.
I have no intention of ever carb or calorie counting, we would need to retire to carb count homemade food as it just takes hrs which I / we don't have.
If I put on weight I just eat less then ride further & harder, nurse & doctor know this.
Yep the libre is very useful to get a through picture.

Wow the plain full fat yoghurt jumps you up 2.5 to 3mmol? Not a fruity one or with the muesli and plums you mentioned you eat with it? Just on its own?

Hope you heal well from the crash (my oh cycles 200+km a week and I’ve seen some painful injuries over the years)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl Greek full fat yoghurt bumps my BG for me, Sainsbury Greek full fat yoghurt didn't but will try some tomorrow, not going to cut the Muesli or the plums as there is little else left to try now.
I was just trying to assess whether the bump included the muesli and plums or not. I’d have a significant bump including them. I wonder what the difference is between the two makes carb and sugar wise. I’ll take a look next time I’m in said supermarkets.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
non starchy veg is basically any veg that grows above ground.
not sure about long fasts, I would consult your Diabetes team before doing any, it would make me very ill but I'm very active.
my wife like all the things that I used to have but she more or less has the same as me now, she plans & does all of the cooking, making most things from scratch, we try lots of things and some things work, some dont but the only way to find out what affects you is try it, Good Luck with it.
HSSS
Lidl Greek full fat yoghurt bumps my BG for me, Sainsbury Greek full fat yoghurt didn't but will try some tomorrow, not going to cut the Muesli or the plums as there is little else left to try now.

We how shop, cook and eat separately; even when my husband cooks things I could eat (curry without the rice etc) he won't. He does usually do me lunch oh Saturday and Sunday but that is the only time. My diabetes team aren't very supportive although there is a new nurse but I haven't seen her; I have reminded them twice about my 6 monthly appointment and it is almost a year now. I don't worry too much as before I retired I was a clinical biochemist so fairly clued up!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't tried brown rice, will give it a try when I next make myself a curry. I love naan bread and popadoms but haven't had them recently. I am hoping if I have a few 24 hour fasts it might kick start my pancreas!!!

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
YES bars are all under 10g of carb. They’re a bit expensive at about £2.00 for three (and you need sound teeth for them, too) but I find they hit the spot if I fancy a sweet treat. I also carry one with me when going out in case I get hungry and so all I need to do is buy a coffee to go with it.

I heartily second the frozen berry and Greek yoghurt suggestions. You could make up a layered dessert and store it in the fridge until wanted, or just microwave the berries for a minute. I have mine with yoghurt and double cream. Most supermarkets, including Lidl, will stock frozen berries. I buy 3 packs for £5.00 at Tesco. It is my quick fix meal whether breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Also second the Hartley’s 10 Cal. They are tall, 175g vegetarian jelly pots with grown up flavours like Key Lime, Apple & Watermelon and Mango & Passionfruit. They are my new fad since I found them on offer last weekend. Asda also do their own brand, but I’ve yet to go looking anywhere else.

I know you’re not keen on cooking but a quick keto cake takes a minute to mix and 2 minutes to cook. Egg, ground almonds, some sweetener. Add cocoa powder for a chocolate fix. Serve with double cream, and it really hits the spot.

Best of luck to you.

Edited to add Cadbury’s High Lights instant hot chocolate. 4.1 gram per serving (3 heaped teaspoons) I use 2 teaspoons and add a dash of cream. It’s very sweet tasting, so a tub goes a very, very long way.

Last edited:

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Cadbury’s High Lights instant hot chocolate. 4.1 gram per serving (3 heaped teaspoons) I use 2 teaspoons and add a dash of cream. It’s very sweet tasting, so a tub goes a very, very long way." Thank you for that.

I am happy with my strong, black, unsweetened coffee; about the only thing in my diet that hasn't changed! I don't really ever crave a sweet drink as I never drank coke, lemonade etc and have never drunk tea.

I will try a "keto cake" when I have time; very busy at the moment so just eating my usual chicken/bacon/haloumi (just started on that as a friend persuaded me to try it!), sometimes with curry powder and eggs with a load of non starchy veg.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’ve confused me. Are you now saying there is a rise/spike after this breakfast? How can you be sure it’s the plum not the museli? Have you thought about switching it out for something like this https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/grain-free-granola/.

Museli has always tasted like cardboard to me. Why eat it if you don’t like it though?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cant be sure that its the plums or the muesli, need to test further, only like it with the plums,
I’m still confused. If you don’t like museli (which is high in carbs and almost certainly causing the rise you’ve now identified) why eat it at all? Have something else for breakfast - instead of museli only made palatable by adding more carbs (plums).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
like what ?, I've tried most things that I like, if I have a cooked / fried breakfast everyday I put in weight & get grief off the GP, Nurse & Wife
Then they need to learn about carbs v fats for people with diabetes. Low carb high fat helps diabetes and weight loss and is NHS approved even if your nurse and. GP aren’t up to date enough to know it! See this thread to be convinced https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/

If you eat both fats and carbs then you will indeed likely gain weight. Think of it as a seesaw. Reduce one, increase the other. Try it. Test with your meter/libre and see what happens after a low carb cooked breakfast. (Watch the sausages are high meat not full of rusk and ditch beans as higher carbs ) . Eggs can be done in other ways omelettes poached etc. Breakfast doesn’t have to be be traditional breakfast foods. It can be anything. Last nights leftovers are popular as is extending the overnight fast until lunchtime, maybe with a creamy coffee.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Several posts have been deleted for derailing the thread.

This thread is about suitable desserts for those following a low carb way of eating. Please stick to the topic. If you wish to debate the ethics of certain companies or the advertising practices of food blogs, please do so via personal message or via a new thread in the general chat section of the forum. Thanks.

Any further derailing posts will be deleted.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You’ve confused me. Are you now saying there is a rise/spike after this breakfast? How can you be sure it’s the plum not the museli? Have you thought about switching it out for something like this https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/grain-free-granola/.

Museli has always tasted like cardboard to me. Why eat it if you don’t like it though?
A131B927-2362-455E-AC1D-1F9BAD39885B.jpeg

This was part of an experiment by Dr Simon Tobin who is a non diabetic. The whole thing forms part of a series of tests he did on himself relatively recently.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try this:

6956A37E-3F83-4B96-8C17-4D7CBD0796A7.jpeg

Keto friendly sweet or breakfast. Only a miserly amount of carbs. Lancashire Farms Greek Yoghourt, double cream and Coconut and Macadamia granola. Oh and one halved low carb strawberry.

There is just around 30 grams of granola in that bowl. But enough to give a good crunch to the culinary experience.

I don’t carb count but this kind of sweet is so few in carbs there is no real need to tot them up if ones limit is not too restrictive,

M

Member496333

Consuming carbs and fat together is suboptimal. Yes it may smooth out any blood glucose excursions, but there is a lot more to optimal metabolic health than obsessing over glucose in the blood. I would be at risk of derailing by expanding too far on that, so I won’t do that here.

Suffice to say that if you consume carbs with fat then the majority of the fat will go straight into adipocytes while insulin is simultaneously busy mopping up the glucose and making some more. Nice way to reduce your spare fat storage capacity whilst insidiously blunting insulin sensitivity.

Generally, carbs and fat don’t go together in nature. This combo might appear to be helping diabetics, but it’s the perfect storm of metabolic dysfunction. Think doughnuts and pizza. Or more saliently in the context of this conversation, desserts full of sugar and fat. And cereal is also a dessert. Bad Juju.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Consuming carbs and fat together is suboptimal. Yes it may smooth out any blood glucose excursions, but there is a lot more to optimal metabolic health than obsessing over glucose in the blood. I would be at risk of derailing by expanding too far on that, so I won’t do that here.

Suffice to say that if you consume carbs with fat then the majority of the fat will go straight into adipocytes while insulin is simultaneously busy mopping up the glucose and making some more. Nice way to reduce your spare fat storage capacity whilst insidiously blunting insulin sensitivity.

Generally, carbs and fat don’t go together in nature. This combo might appear to be helping diabetics, but it’s the perfect storm of metabolic dysfunction. Think doughnuts and pizza. Or more saliently in the context of this conversation, desserts full of sugar and fat. And cereal is also a dessert. Bad Juju.
An interesting focal point for debate where there are plusses and minuses on both sides of the viewpoint. As you say, probably best covered in a different thread.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Captain Crunch

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 38421

This was part of an experiment by Dr Simon Tobin who is a non diabetic. The whole thing forms part of a series of tests he did on himself relatively recently.

Hi,

I'd say there are more "of which are sugars" in the 200ml of semi-skimmed causing the spike. Maybe 10g
As opposed to the 200ml of cream, which could have around 0.2.

There maybe more fat added with the 120g Alpen with the cream, but there are also less carbs..

Chris12345

Full fat Greek or Icelandic yogurt are great. Nothing flavoured or low fat. Tend to be high in protein so fill me up too. Personally for added fruit as you say a hand full of berries tend to be fine, but need to be careful on other fruits as some have too much carb / sugar content.

I'm also fine on a dark chocolate if its 85% cocoa solids or more. Watch out for the 95% stuff though as it's an 'acquired taste'!