Freestyle Libre sensor unavailable

akccoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that the sensors are back in supply (for prescriptions at least), I have to wonder whether we will see another drop in availability in about 4 weeks time when the next prescription is due? I wonder if Abbott will cope?

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking for a LIBRE alternative I can get on prescription
Have had a few sensors now
1) fell off after 2 days - abbot replaced 8 days later
2) Lasted 9 days fell off
3) lasted 10 days and kept on with tape to get 14 days.
. Next prescription 7 days late
. Asked Abbott for replacements only to get an e-mail saying they were unable to supply until I provided confirmation from "a medical Professional"
. Chased Thro' GP with no immediate effect - GP actually did nothing as the delays were then apparent.
. Waited 34 days for prescription to arrive.
. Surgery ordered next 2 in hope they would arrive at the correct date for next prescription.
4) Fell off after 11 days - Chased Abbot and was told that there were 2 sensors being despatched. (Medical professional demand obviously just **** delaying tactic!)
. Told another replacement would be despatched immediately.
5) sensor loaned by friend and started 6 days ago
6) picked up 2 sensors from surgery yesterday
. 3 replacements arrived this morning - 1 given back to my friend

Abbott have significant support failings <> Unable to understand that the mobile number I use does not work when I am at home although I have lost count of the number of times they have been told and as far as I am concerned they tell lies.
. Obviously have supply problems as I have never has prescribed items arrive on time even thought I always give prescription request a week before I collect the items (Insulin - syringes - test strips + other odds and ends)
Paul T1 for 60+ years and still here!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
. Asked Abbott for replacements only to get an e-mail saying they were unable to supply until I provided confirmation from "a medical Professional"
. Chased Thro' GP with no immediate effect - GP actually did nothing as the delays were then apparent.
. Surgery ordered next 2 in hope they would arrive at the correct date for next prescription.
4) Fell off after 11 days - Chased Abbot and was told that there were 2 sensors being despatched. (Medical professional demand obviously just **** delaying tactic!)

Abbott have significant support failings <> Unable to understand that the mobile number I use does not work when I am at home although I have lost count of the number of times they have been told and as far as I am concerned they tell lies.
. Obviously have supply problems as I have never has prescribed items arrive on time even thought I always give prescription request a week before I collect the items (Insulin - syringes - test strips + other odds and ends)

Have you spoken to your hospital? Other tech is another criteria.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect they may be happier to give (more profitable?) self funders the priority.

Cynical???

Yep, just a bit. :)
There's probably nobody on this forum who remembers the advent of insulin...
I believe that was long before an NHS.

A non eligible self funder like me also pays tax..? OK as a T1 I'm VAT exempt on the Libre purchases.
But I have been grafting since I was 15. (In a veriaty of jobs.) ;)

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
Hi Paul - You mention 'held on with tape' and I thought everyone used Tegaderm Film. I've never had any problems with the sensor falling off since I started doing so.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Two sensors arrived today. Yay!

I got two turntables but no "microphone." V Long story short. My Samsung A3 was on the fritz.?
So I procured a used Note 4. Lovely powerful phone. (Flag ship, in its day.) But the battery is a little sketchy?
By some weird quirk of design the battery also incorporates the NFC arial. Get a cheap coppy & no scan..
For the princely sum of nearly 13 quid, I have a new battery on its way..

In summary, reluctant to plant my new sensor till the phone gets sorted. Or I'll be opting for a pricier "plan B."

Reactions: Goonergal

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Just went to change sensor and it failed , basically went to put the 2 pieces together and it fell to bits. Phoned aAbbott , they are replacing sensor , asked them how long they said 5 days no issues with delivery he said ! Hmmm we will see I will post again when I receive it , I live in Scotland and we are suppose to only have the pony express , must admit not had a supply problem lately.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Just went to change sensor and it failed , basically went to put the 2 pieces together and it fell to bits. Phoned aAbbott , they are replacing sensor , asked them how long they said 5 days no issues with delivery he said ! Hmmm we will see I will post again when I receive it , I live in Scotland and we are suppose to only have the pony express , must admit not had a supply problem lately.

Well after 3 days ish I got my new sensors considering I phoned on the weekend it’s really only 2 days , if Abbot on one hand can be extremely efficient with regard delivery to individuals what is problem with delivery to pharmacists on the other. Is it a quantity request problem ? I am baffled cos after reading various posts here there definetly seems to be a delivery problem .As I have said luckily I am yet to see it, here’s keeping fingers crossed it stays same

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi Paul
Seems you have a lot falling off , are you putting them on your arm ?
When I was on initially on the Libre I use to put mine on my arm and like you they fell off constantly , I now put mine on my belly haven’t had a problem , I know it’s a tad controversial as they recommend your arm but I’ve no had no probs re : difference in readings have checked against finger prick and it’s good ,
I’ve always classed my self as a guinea pig with diabetes as very so often something new or a new idea comes along it’s never really perfected for a good while later so I do the guinea pig stuff myself now 40 years T1 and still here lol

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this happen a few weeks ago abbott France posted new senser I got it in couple of days

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oooh 'ello?!
Just got back from walking the dog. & found a "red card" in my door from parcel force..
The dispatch email from Abbott was time stamped about 5.30am today
It will be at my local post office at the end of postie's shift.. Just in time to give the hound another round.. :)

Now I've had a little experince in dispatch warehouses in the past.. I'm certain the issue isn't with the logistical side once they've been boxed & labeled.. ;)
Nothing to stop you self funding them surely...
Why should you have to self fund, I thought that's what the NHS was there for, it certainly is in France

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Peter03 like most technology or very expensive drugs available across the board there are criteria to meet. So not all will meet the criteria.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Peter03 like most technology or very expensive drugs available across the board there are criteria to meet. So not all will meet the criteria.
As I have said before if you do 8 to 10 tests per day with test strips it is far more expensive than the cost of libre, I am not saying everybody even those who do not test normally should have them but this was a young child type I who I feel should have them and more on the NHS and should not be asked or encouraged to pay for anything

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
My pharmacy called me yesterday to tell me the sensors are in, i can collect them. I was already getting nervous because i had ripped off my last one when the postie knocked after i had a shower and i was rushing to get dressed.:shy:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why should you have to self fund, I thought that's what the NHS was there for, it certainly is in France

Hi,

I'm currently working on the NHS with that. ;)
Had an appointment last Monday. Was asked how often do I test.
& backed my records by saying every 5 minutes with the Miaomiao taking readings from the Libre & sending to my phone.
I also have the logs from the meter results too.

They got me back on scanning with the Librelink app & sending sharing the data with them.

I await a letter for a follow up..

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I collected all my backlogg today 5 in total ...ive been waiting a few weeks . Pharmacist at Boots said they are all coming through now whey hey happy days !

Gpad

Still waiting on mines (in Edinburgh), my prescription went in between xmas and new year so that's been 5 weeks of finger pricking so far and it's been a helluva struggle transitioning back to them.

Last edited:

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Jus got mine again today been 3 weeks without x