Ridiculously high :(

localshop

Morning. Had a vicious hypo immediately before bed last night, took ages (and a lot of sugar) to shift. Stayed up for a bit and knew it would spike so had 5u of Novorapid to try and head it off. Woke up for a bathroom trip at 5:15 and tested, lo and behold it was 25.5! Highest I can remember. Had another 7u and its now thankfully down to a more reasonable 7.7. ****** annoying though. What do you guys use to shift a hypo without sending it to the moon.

Edited by moderator to remove an expletive

Last edited by a moderator:

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
The obvious answer is you overestimated the sugar that was actually needed to raise your bg. I think for many people it is difficult not to stuff your face with sugar until the hypo sensations go away, but at this point the last few mouthfuls of sugar were unnecessary. There are those out there who, while in a hypo, can calculate the amount of sugar needed, eat the exact amount, then stop. I immensely admire their willpower.

I found that, if you can, eating some slower carbs with the pure sugar matches the insulin profile to the glucose release a bit better. Obviously you need the pure sugar to get you out of the hypo, but then a couple of biscuits and an increased insulin dose reduces the spike and keeps bg a bit more level until morning. This works for me, may not work for others.

Reactions: localshop

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @localshop

As Seacrow has alluded over treating a hypo can result in big highs later on, also your liver would of contributed a dump on top. I treat with 3 glucose tabs and test every 10 mins until over 4 mmol/l, I use glucotabs because I genuinely hate them but know it’s my hypo treatment.

If this situation happened to me I’d set my alarm for 3am and test and correct then to wake in range.

Reactions: localshop

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

We’ve all been there, we love stuffing our faces and facing the consequences after. What I’ve learned is glucose tablets - disgusting stuff but it’s very easy to count carbs with them. Around 3.7g of carbs per tablet, I usually have 1-2 to treat a mild hypo like 3.8 and about 5 or more to treat a more a serious hypo. Of course, you’ll have to play the waiting game, give it 15 mins or so and test again. Since I’ve been on a pump, I have to be even more cautious not to treat over a hypo and glucose tablets have helped to not over treat. If you don’t fancy glucose tablets, there’s glucose powders or small sachets of white sugar you can opt for.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Look, @Juicyj has the perfect treatment, though many people need to take some long acting sugar together with the glucotabs. (But yes, it's really helpful to have glucose treatment that you dislike so that you don't get overtaken by hypo munchies). I find glucotabs ideal because they are easy to chew but completely uninteresting in taste. I am relatively insulin resistant so I know that a glucotab should raise my blood sugar by 2.5 mmol/L, usually two are enough for me.

But it's incredibly easy to overdose when hypo, and if it's a choice between a trip to hospital with a hypo or a bad high the next day then I'd go the high any day.

Good luck and try not to stress. Hypos are horrid and so are hypo hangovers.

Reactions: Juicyj

localshop

thanks folks. I'll grab some glucose tablets and stop scoffing wine gums. Seacrow - you hit the nail on the head! I've just had a bacon butty and it's now a lovely 5.5 :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I now use Jelly Babies.....3 JBs = 15g of carb, eat then test 15 mins later and repeat if necessary

I used to eat the fridge many years ago in my twenties

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The obvious answer is you overestimated the sugar that was actually needed to raise your bg. I think for many people it is difficult not to stuff your face with sugar until the hypo sensations go away, but at this point the last few mouthfuls of sugar were unnecessary. There are those out there who, while in a hypo, can calculate the amount of sugar needed, eat the exact amount, then stop. I immensely admire their willpower.

I found that, if you can, eating some slower carbs with the pure sugar matches the insulin profile to the glucose release a bit better. Obviously you need the pure sugar to get you out of the hypo, but then a couple of biscuits and an increased insulin dose reduces the spike and keeps bg a bit more level until morning. This works for me, may not work for others.

If you are pumping insulin then there is no need for the slower release carbs just the fast acting does the job.
I don't think that @localshop is a pump user BUT for others who happen to read this that are its a help

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will have 15g fast acting and retest 15 minutes later. If I'm no longer hypo I will then follow this up with 10g slow release glucose and as a rule of thumb will not correct at the first meal after a hypo.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Small amount of fast acting sugar for me (like a few swigs of lucozade), wait 10 minutes then go make some toast to supplement the sugar spike. But i tend to overcompensate too, if i go really low it takes a long time to feel normal again! Sometimes i keep having carbs and sugar until i feel better.
Don't worry, it happens to us all!

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My rule is never to correct under 4 hrs following a hypo. I tend to leave it mostly with the saying " tomorrows another day " better being safe

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre showed me that I need very little sugar to raise me. Usually start with one dextrose and have another 15 minutes later if there is no rise. Am not on a pump, but never eat any other carbs as was told not to. The only difference is, if below 3 in the night I always down a 15ml can of Coke.

localshop

The Libre showed me that I need very little sugar to raise me. Usually start with one dextrose and have another 15 minutes later if there is no rise. Am not on a pump, but never eat any other carbs as was told not to. The only difference is, if below 3 in the night I always down a 15ml can of Coke.
I'm on a DAFNE course next week which should hopefully be followed by a shiny new Libre on the NHS. To say I'm looking forward to getting one is something of an understatement.

Reactions: EllieM

Melody123

Do you ever try glucose shots? I get them from my pharmacy & they’re perfect for popping in your bag/ pocket. 1-2 shots usually does it & they’re easy to knock back!