Cheaper Cuts of Meat

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think so, I helped myself by poaching food stuff from the local gentries properties in the 1960's to help the budget along.
So you are Danny the Champion of the World’s dad?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think so, I helped myself by poaching food stuff from the local gentries properties in the 1960's to help the budget along.
Things have changed a bit in 60 years!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well there we have it. The cheaper cuts make grim reading and could be what we might face if it turns out like some expect. It is enough, to warrant turning Vegan?

Is the grim reading your own assessment, @Listlad ? Aside from specific elements, for example, kidney will never knowingly feature in my diet, but it doesn't make cheap cuts grim, in my view, I don't see many popping in to note their disgust?. Very, very far from it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another who prefers many of the cheaper cuts. The only unfortunate thing is others cottoning on to the superior flavour of many of them, so they’re not so cheap as they used to be. Aside from hearts, offal is not to my taste - too strong. But bring on the rest.

Reactions: Lotties

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very easy to keep quail, they are quiet, easy to feed and productive of eggs and meat.
Rabbits are easy to keep as well, and guinea pigs are supposed to be quite tasty - they also trim the lawn if you keep them in a movable pen outside.
If meat is expensive and difficult to get hold of then going back to keeping animals for food is an option.
When I lived in the Midlands I used to roam around and there were quite a few opportunities to take things to eat. I used to eat very well.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is the grim reading your own assessment, @Listlad ? Aside from specific elements, for example, kidney will never knowingly feature in my diet, but it doesn't make cheap cuts grim, in my view, I don't see many popping in to note their disgust?. Very, very far from it.
There were some who noted their disgust. Fish head soup is quite prevalent in some parts of the world. I personally would not freely try it. But I probably would if I had to, like many I am sure.

I know from talking to many outside of the forum that they would not be keen to go down that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barb McD

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another who prefers many of the cheaper cuts. The only unfortunate thing is others cottoning on to the superior flavour of many of them, so they’re not so cheap as they used to be. Aside from hearts, offal is not to my taste - too strong. But bring on the rest.
Yes, I saw the price of oxtail yesterday at my excellent butchers. £15 for 1.5kg. It's cheaper to buy rump steak at £8 a kilo. I love lamb shank too and that's too much for a great chunk of bone as well. Luckily beef shin is still cheap.

M

Member496333

I don't see many popping in to note their disgust?. Very, very far from it.

Very often the grimmer the better, in my world. I eat a lot of fillet steaks but that's because I like to eat my beef raw. Besides that, the grimmest parts of the animal are almost always the most nutritiously diverse. Loads of fat, gristle and collagenous tissue. I sucked the gubbins from a chicken's spine the last time I boiled one into a soup. Marvellous! Liver, kidney, heart etc. can be used to resuscitate the dead.

Anyone who doesn't want all the "grim" bits of the animal, just pile 'em up outside my front door. Nose-to-tail "for the win"as the kids say these days. Scrummy yummy in my tummy :hungry:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There were some who noted their disgust. Fish head soup is quite prevalent in some parts of the world. I personally would not freely try it. But I probably would if I had to, like many I am sure.

I know from talking to many outside of the forum that they would not be keen to go down that route.
I reacted to one item, with the emojis as light heartedness. To say - based on that - cheaper cuts are grim reading is quite a leap, particularly when I expressed interest in many others.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

I think it's largely due to mental conditioning. If you are a person who has already discovered ancestrally appropriate deep-nutrition, and experienced its profound impact on your health and happiness, you'll be more inclined to gobble down all the gory bits with a smile. I would happily eat a whole fish head in one bite. Four years ago I'd have preferred a brightly coloured box of human kibble. It's all relative.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bearing in mind the vast majority of us responding to this thread are not based in a place where fish head soup is a staple, or necessity, I think one person saying they couldn't do it hardly amounts to a consensus that the wide ranging term "cheaper cuts of meat" are grim.

You sometimes make some very curious interpretations of the written text, in my view anyway.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How about dried fish, very popular in some countries:

D0779ABC-291E-4D11-AC55-DE5CB2FA49A5.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bearing in mind the vast majority of us responding to this thread are not based in a place where fish head soup is a staple, or necessity, I think one person saying they couldn't do it hardly amounts to a consensus that the wide ranging term "cheaper cuts of meat" are grim.

You sometimes make some very curious interpretations of the written text, in my view anyway.
I think a small group of a few people on a thread doesn’t amount to a consensus either.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's largely due to mental conditioning. If you are a person who has already discovered ancestrally appropriate deep-nutrition, and experienced its profound impact on your health and happiness, you'll be more inclined to gobble down all the gory bits with a smile. I would happily eat a whole fish head in one bite. Four years ago I'd have preferred a brightly coloured box of human kibble. It's all relative.
Agreed. It is what we are used too. Very much so. And I do think we can all shift a bit in our stances on food, when it comes to the crunch. I read a lot of paranoia on the potential future restriction on meat supplies however many of us will adapt to the circumstances, I am sure.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very often the grimmer the better, in my world. I eat a lot of fillet steaks but that's because I like to eat my beef raw. Besides that, the grimmest parts of the animal are almost always the most nutritiously diverse. Loads of fat, gristle and collagenous tissue. I sucked the gubbins from a chicken's spine the last time I boiled one into a soup. Marvellous! Liver, kidney, heart etc. can be used to resuscitate the dead.

Anyone who doesn't want all the "grim" bits of the animal, just pile 'em up outside my front door. Nose-to-tail "for the win"as the kids say these days. Scrummy yummy in my tummy :hungry:
I don’t disagree. So why are we whinging about the potential scarcity of meat? All that good stuff you mention is cheap and easily obtainable as the rest of the population don’t want to eat it.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t disagree. So why are we whinging about the potential scarcity of meat? All that good stuff you mention is cheap and easily obtainable as the rest of the population don’t want to eat it.
Missing the point here entirely. If there are no animals for food when we’re all forced to become vegetarian/vegan then there’s no cheap cuts either.

The only reason these cuts exist is because people eat the common and popular ones and leave these behind. Remove one you remove the other.

We’re whinging because our choice is being threatened without good factual reason and without good alternatives.

I best learn to fish - if there’s any left in the polluted ocean. Even better head back to Aus, can’t see them banning meat any time soon.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
On the subject of swans, apparently they are a protected bird so it is illegal to kill them or possess a carcass.