Car insurance

dick48

Having recently been prescribed insulin I telephoned my insurance company to inform them. The person I spoke to told me that as long as I had informed the DVLA I did not need to inform the insurance company as well.
All the advice I have read on DIABETES UK says I should inform the insurance company.
Anybody else having this experience?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience is exactly the same. No problem or increased premium.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sort of. The general advice seems to be to inform the Insurance company (just to avoid any issues at a later stage about not following what it says in the small print) but I don't think they're allowed to increase premiums because of it.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Having recently been prescribed insulin I telephoned my insurance company to inform them. The person I spoke to told me that as long as I had informed the DVLA I did not need to inform the insurance company as well.
All the advice I have read on DIABETES UK says I should inform the insurance company.

I use a broker and I told them that I was a T1 on a restricted licence. Did it to make sure that they can't claim that I didn't inform them of a notifiable medical condition at some point in the future. (I just don't trust insurance companies).

But you're correct in that they weren't that interested and it did not affect my premium.

Reactions: KK123

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If ever there is any dispute with your insurance company in the future, saying that you told them by telephone will be their word against yours. Surely it would be better to have something in writing, if only an email.

bonerp

If you don't tell your insurance company and you have to make a claim (esp for a hypo for example) you won't be covered. It's a legal requirement. As is telling dvla.

Krc1

Tell your insurance company and make sure it is on file, most have the info given on the insurance schedule, which shows all your declarations etc, etc
They cant put the price up or load the policy.

My policy states "3 year restricted licence, DVLA aware,, thats with More than.

Xal

I just told my insurance as I newly diagnosed and I was told by my doctors I had to tell my insurance company however they did not increase the premium. They did tell me that I did need to tell them to make sure my insurance was not declined if I had an accident however I have no idea if this true or just what they tell you! I don’t trust insurance companies either

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The important bit is tell your insurance company even if they do not ask - I have a boat insurance and they were told as well.
In the past I have made 2 separate calls to an insurance company with one made from my home and one made from my daughters address - One using my First name and one using my second name but otherwise the only difference was that on one I owned the car and on the other I was about to buy the same car. The one where I declared as T1 for over 20 years and DVLA aware was cheaper than the one where I was about to buy the car. That does not make sense to me.
The important bit - if you do not tell them they have wiggle room if there is an accident!
Paul T1 for 60 + years <> Still here so must be doing something right!

Reactions: stevebowdler

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I just informed my insurance company and the person I spoke to said "they don't put anything on file for this, as long as your doctor says you are fit to drive ..." ... so I guess I was worried about nothing (insurance premiums). And if they put nothing on file then apart from me taking a screen shot of my phone call to them (duration etc from recent calls section) I dont have any proof of informing them. I did think to chat to them online and then screen shot the chat but I think it doesn't matter, As long as you inform the DVLA (which I have - waiting for reply up to 10 days).

My policy is up for renewal soon (I have the renewal quote) and even when I tried a new quote as new customer to see if I get a cheaper quote there is not one question about health. The renewal quote I got is the best I have - 5% more than last year. Not bad actually and with one of the big reputable company's. I'll renew tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I called mine too as started insulin recently, they said was fine will note on the system but it doesn’t change anything as my insurance isn’t medical based?
Just had letter through from DVLA saying I will need 3 year medical review licence? Did you have this too?

85percent

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I called mine too as started insulin recently, they said was fine will note on the system but it doesn’t change anything as my insurance isn’t medical based?
Just had letter through from DVLA saying I will need 3 year medical review licence? Did you have this too?

I also had a letter saying 3 year medical review licence. Ive completed the form and I'm waiting for the licence.
I had to inform the DVLA myself, did you inform them?

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also had a letter saying 3 year medical review licence. Ive completed the form and I'm waiting for the licence.
I had to inform the DVLA myself, did you inform them?
Yep same, I did it myself after asking my Diabetes N whether I needed to let my insurance and DVLA know. Insurance wasn’t bothered said it didn’t impact my policy as it’s not medical based. I had my new licence back in the post a few days ago, so it was quite fast. Exactly the same just a 3 year expiry date. Hopefully you have your new one back too soon!