Type 2 Resistant starch

oldsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have read an article about resistant starches (RS) and wonder if any others have come across these. Apparently, RS although high in carbs, it is the type of carb which does not affect blood sugar as it is not digestible (something like the sugar alcohols I suppose, e.g. Erythritol). It is also claimed to help the gut.
I have looked for sources and found that raw potato starch is available although most of the sellers make no mention in their nutrition details of how much RS is in the product. There is also green banana starch which is very expensive but does give the full nutrition advice. A couple of things I'm not sure of are (i) Is all potato starch made from raw potatoes? I understand that this is essential in order to retain the RS. (ii) If this is suitable for a LCHF diet, why are the vendors not proclaiming this on their products?
Has anyone out there tried this? If so, what were the effects on BS?
The product reviews I've read claim that it makes a good crunchy coating to replace breadcrumbs. It is good for thickening soups and sauces and has no flavour so doesn't detract from the recipe. It also helps in bread-making when you're not using wheat flour.
Any thoughts anyone?

M

Member496333

My question would be why eat something that isn’t digestible? Perhaps useful if you have a load of excess toilet rolls that need to be used up ;)

EDIT: cross posted with @bulkbiker :facepalm:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
There are claims that you can convert normal starch to resistant starch by cooking then chilling then cooking again.
For example, cook pasta, chill, then reheat.
I haven't investigated in detail, but a cold pasta salad can sometimes not spike me.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are claims that you can convert normal starch to resistant starch by cooking then chilling then cooking again.
I haven't investigated in detail, but a cold pasta salad can sometimes not spike me.
I tried it, didn't work for me.

Husband made cauliflower cheese after which I had a huge spike. I checked what he had used, grated cheddar contained potato starch or potato flour, I forget which.

oldsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried it, didn't work for me.

Husband made cauliflower cheese after which I had a huge spike. I checked what he had used, grated cheddar contained potato starch or potato flour, I forget which.
Potato flour is not the same thing at all. That is made with whole potatoes (usually cooked) which are dehydrated and then ground to powder. So no different from eating boiled potatoes.

oldsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally I'd avoid it.. completely unnecessary and not even food..
If its not digested then why eat it?
The whole point is to be able to recreate some of our favourite dishes without hitting the BS. Not all of us are able to maintain a strict regime and many of the substitute ingredients don't cut it for us. We need a little leeway to manage better. If you can improve the texture of the food without affecting your BS, where's the harm?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just checked on Morrison's website, it was potato starch.

Polylols can affect me also.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's the usual mantra. Taste and test. It would be so much easier if we were all the same.

D

Deleted member 308541

I cook pasta as per Micheal Mosely's tv show about resistant starch.

I cook pasta in my usual way, I then bag it up in portions, then when it's cool enough I put it in the freezer for later usage. Then I reheat the bag in the microwave with a splash of water in the bag.

The portion size was suck it and see till I got the right amount that did blow the bgl out.

LKgE66l.jpg

Here's some pre cooked Spudlite lower carb potatoes, I have no problems eating one or two of these.

lBC6AZ7.jpg

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only

I would like to try this with rice - this is how you make the best stir fry's anyway by using leftover rice.

To OPs original ask - a link would be good, never heard of any of these... It would make an interesting read.

D

Deleted member 308541

I would like to try this with rice - this is how you make the best stir fry's anyway by using leftover rice.
I tried reheating cooked rice, but my bgl was just the same as fresh cooked rice.

I like rice and I miss eating it, there is no substitute for the real thing either. :meh:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
many of the substitute ingredients don't cut it for us.

But that's exactly what you are suggesting?

Not wishing to be argumentative but eating something with zero nutritional value seems a bit odd to me.. maybe I just am odd.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't work for me. I need as much insulin the first day, when my meal is freshly cooked, as I need the second day, or two weeks later reheated from the freezer.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If I fancy pasta I cook it and run it under the cold tap then reheat - provided I don’t have too much it doesn’t seem to raise my BS

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But that's exactly what you are suggesting?

Not wishing to be argumentative but eating something with zero nutritional value seems a bit odd to me.. maybe I just am odd.
You are assuming people eat food just for its nutritional value. What about the taste, texture and appearance, what about the fact that a particular food is part of their cultural heritage or just that they want to eat the same meal as their family.

Reactions: Daphne917

oldsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are assuming people eat food just for its nutritional value. What about the taste, texture and appearance, what about the fact that a particular food is part of their cultural heritage or just that they want to eat the same meal as their family.
Thank you Mr Pot, that was my point. You just expressed it better than I did. However, it seems that no-one so far has tried the raw potato starch with any degree of success. I'l just have to bite the bullet and give it a try, meter at hand. I'll report back with the results.

Reactions: Antje77