Test results

Chrissy553

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in December 2019 and my blood test reading was 121.
I am taking metformin and have adjusted my diet (which is an ongoing thing)
Ive just had another blood test although its only been 6 weeks and my reading is now 76.
Does anyone know if this is good or should it be lower after 6 weeks?
I believe it should be 48 or below eventually.
Can anyone help xxx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Total winner, well done. It took me 4 months to go from 122 to 35 on keto.

Reactions: Chrissy553

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just for comparison I went keto and went from 55 to 44 in 3 months. I’ve stayed very low carb (possibly not keto) and hovered between 40 and 43 since for the last 18 months.

I saw changes like @xfieldok and felt discouraged. But don’t be. We are all very different and any change in the right direction is good. Obviously we all want to see massive changes and they are entirely possible but it doesn’t happen that way for us all. Seeking perfection can be destructive and motivational. Decide which it is for you. And then do YOUR best.

Personally I think you’re heading the right way. Keep going. Tighten up where you feel you can carb wise but it’s the opposite direction medics ever thought possible. The longer you do this way of eating the easier it gets and the lower you can go happily.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive just had another blood test although its only been 6 weeks and my reading is now 76.
Can anyone help xxx

That is a wonderful drop in just 6 weeks. The HbA1c is a sort of average of blood glucose levels over the previous 2 to 3 months, so part of your last test will have covered the period before you were diagnosed and had very high levels. Well done, keep it up.

Are you self testing before and after meals? It is a good idea to do this.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help xxx

My results have been pretty similar to yours, and i feel much better now. If you feel better in yourself chances are its going in the right direction at the right speed for you, don't rush things seems also to be the key, try one change at a time and its easier to monitor your own results, its a pity as a Type 2 you probably DONT have a meter/testing strips on script, I could not have done it without being able to monitor it! Keep it up it gets easier!

Reactions: Chrissy553 and HSSS

Chrissy553

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not self testing. I was told to wait 3 months and i may be given a testing kit at that point.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not self testing. I was told to wait 3 months and i may be given a testing kit at that point.
Hardly any type 2 are given kits and almost all self fund. Don’t hold your breath. If you want to know what’s happening day to day and what foods do what to you buy your own now. @Rachox can give you links to cheaper supplies

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed an average drop of 4 points per week off my Hba1c in the first weeks, you are averaging 7.5 which is more than good. By six months from diagnosis I was back in the normal range. I think my doctor is sulking - not seen him for over three years, and there is NFA on my notes.
I have been buying my test stuff so I can see how I am getting on - the latest purchase was a meter and strips from Spirit Healthcare as they are quite cheap. If you want the equipment better get yourself registered with the company soon, whilst you can still claim to be diabetic.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone help xxx
Your HbA1c covers the last 3 months, so after 6 weeks you'd still be seeing a chunk of the high blood sugars in there, from before your dietary changes... Meaning you're making great progress and you should keep it up! Well done.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with the recommendation to get a meter and self test. Our bodies are complex and you need to find out what foods your body can and cannot tolerate. Many of us here go low carb. I have gone very low carb testing regularly means I get feedback immediately on how I am going and what I can eat. This feedback confirms that low carb is good for my blood sugar levels

Good luck and welcome.

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You look like you are well on track.

Well done and keep it up.