OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi all,

I havent posted for a while ....I've just received my yearly "invite" to have my bloods tested and normally there is a whole raft of tests, this year just HbA1c ... Your thoughts would be welcome..

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A yearly Hba1c is part of the NHS protocol for T2 diabetics. It can be more often if the condition is not under control.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for your thoughts.... I was diagnosed around 4 years ago now , I've had yearly blood tests for the last 3 having stayed on a low carb diet and therefore reduced my sugars to pre-diabetic levels. Normally the tests involve a raft of other tests, liver function etc etc...this year just Hba1c.... wondered if its worth asking for other tests to be done ...or ... not....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
These days I have an annual face to face review and health check following blood tests that include HbA1c, cholesterol, lipids, liver & kidney functions, full blood count etc etc. I also have an interim blood test for the same raft of tests at the 6 month mark but am not called in for a review unless something untoward is found.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi all,

I havent posted for a while ....I've just received my yearly "invite" to have my bloods tested and normally there is a whole raft of tests, this year just HbA1c ... Your thoughts would be welcome..

I'd be asking why you are only getting a hba1c and not the usual, liver and kidney function tests etc. I'd ask for them to be added if need be. I'm assuming you'd want to know all these results.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your thoughts.... I was diagnosed around 4 years ago now , I've had yearly blood tests for the last 3 having stayed on a low carb diet and therefore reduced my sugars to pre-diabetic levels. Normally the tests involve a raft of other tests, liver function etc etc...this year just Hba1c.... wondered if its worth asking for other tests to be done ...or ... not....
My recent panel was hba1c, lipids and a urine test for kidney function. In other words the co morbities such as raised ldl as a marker for vldl and heart disease risk, kidney function , fatty liver should be looked at so just hba1c seems mimimalist IMO!

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd be asking why you are only getting a hba1c and not the usual, liver and kidney function tests etc. I'd ask for them to be added if need be. I'm assuming you'd want to know all these results.
Thanks for your thoughts.... Personally I find keeping an eye on my numbers motivating...

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
My recent panel was hba1c, lipids and a urine test for kidney function. In other words the co morbities such as raised ldl as a marker for vldl and heart disease risk, kidney function , fatty liver should be looked at so just hba1c seems mimimalist IMO!

Minimalist is one way of putting it.... :D

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for that thought..I dont want to make too much of a fuss but would like to know that I'm doing everything I can to keep myself well.

M

Member496333

Yes. I have my one-on-one statin sales conference annually. After next year I think I will begin declining the invites. I would rather pay privately for the blood tests that matter to me. Specifically insulin and hs-CRP. Both of which my surgery seem to think are some sort of black magic :shifty:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes. I have my one-on-one statin sales conference annually. After next year I think I will begin declining the invites. I would rather pay privately for the blood tests that matter to me. Specifically insulin and hs-CRP. Both of which my surgery seem to think are some sort of black magic :shifty:
lol.... I recall laughing at the idea of taking statins last year when it was suggested.... someone may have taken note of this?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Your profile says no meds, if this means no meds at all, not just no diabetes meds, then I don't see any reason for testing Liver, Kidney, Cholesterol etc. unless there is some other symptom/concern.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Your profile says no meds, if this means no meds at all, not just no diabetes meds, then I don't see any reason for testing Liver, Kidney, Cholesterol etc. unless there is some other symptom/concern.
hmm . Its an interesting viewpoint but isnt that a bit like saying "we have asked all the relevant questions and have all the correct answers and things dont change ? "

Reactions: jjraak

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
re paying privatley : Have you figured out the cheapest way of doing this? If so would you care to share? ( tell me to take a hike if you like here)

Reactions: jjraak

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@OrsonKartt

I check insulin resistance privately - a better marker in my opinion. I use Medichecks. That requires a visit to a specific laboratory in London, which is easy for me, but not so for those living elsewhere. I'm not sure whether any of the other online companies offer the service - tagging @shelley262 as I think she may have had it done elsewhere.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dang just ask this and was down in London this morning. Where is Medicecks working out of, please?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dang just ask this and was down in London this morning. Where is Medicecks working out of, please?

They have a load of clinics. For the insulin resistance, you have to go to the Doctor's Laboratory on Wimpole Street. They have a walk-in service and open weekends.

Editing to say @Lotties to be clear, you need to have purchased the test(s) online via Medichecks before showing up at any of their clinics, some of which have a walk-in service, others of which require an appointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lotties