Libre Recyling

AlisterCat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which parts of the Libre should I put in the sharps bin and which should I recycle, or throw in the bin?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You can dismantle the applicator (pull the grey bit that the needle sits behind) and pull the needle out, you will need a pair of long nose pliers. Put that in the sharps and recycle everything else. They have taken mine every time

Reactions: UK T1

AlisterCat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked the live chat on their website and this is the response I got.

"Please be kindly informed that the Libre Sensors currently are not recyclable; they contain plastic, metallic and electronic elements. The applicator itself, though largely made of plastic, houses a metal needle. If you are unsure where to dispose of these items, or you are not able to do so at home, please take them to the a local pharmacy or hospital where they have bins for medical waste and/or Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)."

Until now I have been putting the sensors in my sharps bin but I guess that's wrong.

You can dismantle the applicator (pull the grey bit that the needle sits behind) and pull the needle out, you will need a pair of long nose pliers. Put that in the sharps and recycle everything else. They have taken mine every time
Are those plastics actually recyclable though?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The sensor itself goes into the bin after the 14 days.
As for the applicator being recyclable the council always take mine away.....they are fussy around here as well lol

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My recycling will take any plastic that isn't black, but that is a recent change! Have so far taken everything I've put out. I haven't put the sensor or bit with the needle out yet though, I've got a stash of the applicator bits with the needle in, I'll need to start dismantling at some point. As for the sensor, I'm keeping them too in the hope that some electronics might be recyclable soon! Only had 7 libres so far so stash isn't too big yet...