Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
jammer said:
Just had the most amazing thing lol, if anyone has ever been to the Isle of Arran (they are very lucky people) they will no doubt have heard of Arran cheese, try taking a few slices of Black pudding and put a slice of the well known Arran Mustard Cheese and throw them in the grill.

Black pudding + Arran Mustard Cheese = A slice of heaven :lol:

I was on the Isle of Arran about 2 years back, its a lovely place to visit with very welcoming people. I didn't buy any cheese, but I intend going back very soon so I shall go on your recommendation, it does sound delicious but very high fat! :shock: :lol:

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
jammer said:
Just had the most amazing thing lol, if anyone has ever been to the Isle of Arran (they are very lucky people) they will no doubt have heard of Arran cheese, try taking a few slices of Black pudding and put a slice of the well known Arran Mustard Cheese and throw them in the grill.

Great excitement in our house!! :D So, please tell me what the BG levels were like afterwards? :mrgreen: :roll: :? :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Synonym said:
jammer said:

Great excitement in our house!! :D So, please tell me what the BG levels were like afterwards? :mrgreen: :roll: :? :D

It should be accompanied by a fine single malt (preferably Islay) to both compliment the taste and keep the BG low. 8)

Synonym

Dislikes
Ardbeg said:
It should be accompanied by a fine single malt (preferably Islay) to both compliment the taste and keep the BG low. 8)

I heartily concur as does OH! 8) :D

Hopefully the high fat would also help smooth out the highs too. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ardbeg said:

Sounds good to me Ardbeg! :D

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I make haggis with cheese sauce. Just cut off a slice of haggis (about 1 1/2") and whack it in the microwave for a minute. Then mash it up, microwave for another minute. Once thats done, build it back into a disc, and add the cheese sauce around the outside of the haggis.

To make the cheese sauce, just microwave some double cream with some grated cheese, and you're away. (I use leerdammer cheese - anything stronger would probably over power the haggis).

Bloody lovely - and ready in 3 minutes!

I've been thinking about adding a poached egg to th etop of the haggis. Mabye tonight! ;-)

Synonym

Dislikes
Hi Patch :D

I don't suppose you have tested what it does to your BG levels either :?: :roll: :( :lol:

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi everyone, I love black pudding but for some reason I thought it was high in carbs, not bothered about the fat but is everyone sure that it is low in carbs?, thanks, Debra

Mayfly

Dislikes
Not eating chocolate
Hi Debra

No, I'm sure it is quite high in carbs, but I eat it as a treat. Remember the rule, If it tastes Good, it's Bad for you! :lol: The Waitrose one contains.....er.....'husk' I think it is - the last time I looked at the ingredients, there was something in there that made me think, "Yeah, I shouldn't really" and bought it anyway. They sell it in two slice portions or as a whole sausage. Sometimes I have to have a bit of variety to my breakfast or I'll go mad, and I think if you keep in mind it will probably spike you, you just take that into account.
I won't be eating it for a while as the doctor has just reduced my medication again and I'm struggling a bit at the moment - darn those spikes!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It can be quite high in carbs as it also contains oatmeal, unfortunately the one I buy from the butchers doesn't contain the nutritional values so I count as 10g of carbs a slice for insulin purposes.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Goddamn I love black pudding. Bearing in mind the size/weight of a slice the carbns would be minimal. And I'm sure the higher quality stuff (ie - made by a butcher) would have less of teh bulking agents than the shop bought stuff...

Pro-tip: Black pudding wrapped in bacon w/melted cheese. Goddamn.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
:sick: :sick: :sick: Too squeamish, that's my trouble...

C

chris lowe

Like Marmite you either love it or hate it. I love marmite, hate black pudding ( but strangely I do like haggis) Hubbie is opposite to me - wont even touch the Marmite jar if I leave it out but will happily eat black pudding til the cows come home. He gets it from a local butcher and tells me it's lovely but I will take his word for it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
chris lowe said:
Like Marmite you either love it or hate it. I love marmite, hate black pudding ( but strangely I do like haggis)

I love all three :)

hugsee

Dislikes
cheese
I love black pudding and the best I have ever tasted came from Dublin. Love mine in a grill up only fry my eggs mushrooms and blackpudding...its a once a month treat and I really look forward to it. My local butcher makes his own and it too is delicious :p

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
Get mine from Costco, Probably not the best, but great value for money, :clap:
Haggis is great with whisky mayonase, A scottish mate of mine made me try it, Not looked back since,

Paul