Horrible Habit - Butter

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have developed a horrible habit of eating butter! I find myself cutting a piece from the butter dish on a regular basis, a bit like some people might nibble on chocolate. Is this really really really bad for me or will it work with Keto? It’s a bit weird but so yummy.

Reactions: Daphne917 and zand

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have developed a horrible habit of eating butter! I find myself cutting a piece from the butter dish on a regular basis, a bit like some people might nibble on chocolate. Is this really really really bad for me or will it work with Keto? It’s a bit weird but so yummy.
It's 0% carb.... If you're not eating whole sticks at a time, I don't see the problem honestly. Plenty of us put butter in our coffee and such, and sometimes I put a little (not so little) on a bit of extra dark chocolate. Does well in keto mug bread and whatnot... Yay, butter?

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I do it every time I get the butter out of the fridge... great isn't it..?

Why do you think it might be bad?

Reactions: zand and Flora123

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if you feel the urge to eat something it could be a response to needing it - is your diet low in fat in general?
Protein and fats are necessary for life - you can become very ill if you don't eat fats as an adult, and small children can't grow their brains correctly without fats - the white matter of our brain is cholesterol, and the sheath to insulate nerves is a lipid.

Reactions: jjraak

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think if you feel the urge to eat something it could be a response to needing it - is your diet low in fat in general?
Protein and fats are necessary for life - you can become very ill if you don't eat fats as an adult, and small children can't grow their brains correctly without fats - the white matter of our brain is cholesterol, and the sheath to insulate nerves is a lipid.

My diet is certainly not low fat. I think it may because it just tastes so delicious when cold and I’m missing the odd treat. Everything seems to have a spike these days so it’s getting harder and harder despite being well under 20g carbs a day.

Thanks guys. Pleased I’m not the only one!!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do it every time I get the butter out of the fridge... great isn't it..?

Why do you think it might be bad?

I’m not sure. It just seems disgusting but that may be to do with the reaction of family when I’ve been caught in the act or social conditioning.

Reactions: Barb McD

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not sure. It just seems disgusting but that may be to do with the reaction of family when I’ve been caught in the act or social conditioning.

Weeelllll, I would say it's only as 'disgusting' as eating a piece of cheese. It's all in the mind having been conditioned to regard it as akin to a doughnut! Enjoy. x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yet they wouldn't bat an eyelid if you had bread with it! I view a slice of butter as bread and butter without the carbs.:)

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like to add a large dollop of butter, especially cold and firm from the fridge, to pieces of cheese :) Lovely!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a phase, a while ago, to do as @CondorX does; to eat slices of cheese, spread with butter. It wasn't something I personally did, but there were plenty who swore by it.

Reactions: jjraak and Flora123

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always enjoyed lashings of butter on a slice of toast or on a crumpet. (These days it is on an occasional slice of low carb toast) However have never wanted to eat a chunk of butter like I do a chunk of cheese. At work chomping on a stick of cheese at lunchtime draws curiosity from the rank and file so I wouldn’t attempt to scoff a chunk of butter in the same way.

Having said that I see a great tendency by many work colleagues to be typically eating crisp or chip barms for lunch followed by a custard slice or similar.

Last edited:

Barb McD

Queens area in Belfast has a crisp sandwich shop it’s absolutely hiving all day. The buttered bread line is longer than the unbuttered but I have a cheat cheese instead. :wily:

Reactions: KK123

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I get one of those small square crackers, cut a matching square of cheese, then top it with an equal amount of butter. Down it in one bite. Then put the cracker back in the packet.

Reactions: Flora123 and zand

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat chunks of neat/unadorned butter but I'll definitely lick my buttery knife or use my finger to pick up the remains in the butter dish if my dogs aren't around - they are eager wanna be low carbers and love to clean up buttery fingers, dishes, wrappers and (safe) knives....

I've always eaten butter - it's been a normal and essential part of my diet, not just since I've been low carbing. I use it all the time in food preparation, cooking, baking.