Yearly blood tests - Is this standard?

M

Member496333

hs-CRP is doable by their postal service. This was also the case with insulin but they changed their policy after temperature extremes were found to be affecting accuracy.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hs-CRP is doable by their postal service. This was also the case with insulin but they changed their policy after temperature extremes were found to be affecting accuracy.
Thanks @Jim Lahey
What is an hs-CRP? Edit Googled. I get a regular CRP provided about every 2 -4 months.
Luckily, I'm not too far from London, distance-wise. Cost now that's another matter. Train was £45 ex underground, today.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Thriva.
They have a postal service.
Getting to London isn’t practical for me.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Thriva.
They have a postal service.
Getting to London isn’t practical for me.
Ive used thriva too - works for me. You do need to take own blood with provided lancet stabby implement and drip into a test tube - which I seem to find easy but know that everybody dosent. My OH tried it and just wasn’t able to get enough blood for his test! I’ve Not needed to do private tests recently as, despite no meds for more than two years and nearly three years of non diabetic numbers I get hbaca1, kidney function and full lipid panel every six months plus added in for my annual in addition liver function and protein urine test. I did insulin resistance which was normal with thriva and also cholesterol.

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been using forthwithlife baseline plus. It’s a little expensive but it covers all the things I’m interested in: HbA1c, lipids, liver, and vitamin D. The HbA1c sample is sensitive to clotting which happened to me once but all the other times worked and gave very plausible numbers. It’s a postal test which makes it much easier than going anywhere. I need to firmly press the lancet into my finger to get good enough blood flow.

I’m still within a year of diagnosis and am doing a lot of diet and lifestyle changes so I really feel I need the feedback on what is working. I also find it really motivating knowing I’m working towards a blood test in a few weeks rather than something that is months away.

Once I’ve hit a rhythm with my diet I might dial back the testing or go to something cheaper like Thriva’s baseline.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your thoughts.... I was diagnosed around 4 years ago now , I've had yearly blood tests for the last 3 having stayed on a low carb diet and therefore reduced my sugars to pre-diabetic levels. Normally the tests involve a raft of other tests, liver function etc etc...this year just Hba1c.... wondered if its worth asking for other tests to be done ...or ... not....
I am due for mine. I will be asking for the lot.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Thanks all for this info! ...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I havent posted for a while ....I've just received my yearly "invite" to have my bloods tested and normally there is a whole raft of tests, this year just HbA1c ... Your thoughts would be welcome..

Hi @OrsonKartt

Read through the listings, most informative.

But did I misread the OP ?

Once diabetic, always diabetic...(we can quibble over cure remission Etc, but going back to eating whatever you like, has sailed into the distance ,never to return.)

But I do hear a few not on meds..( As in metformin do seem to get signed off, so to speak.)

While there can be shorter/longer intervals, the yearly one SHOULD include the full panel, to help identify early all the issues that MAY come about due to simply being diabetic.

Regardless of some one else's assessment of how well YOU control yours.

I would say that is your RIGHT.

We work hard, pay Taxes all our lives,
When a disease Comes along and a protocol is put in place for it, it should be OUR Decision to take it OR Refuse it.. not some administrator or bean counter somewhere.

As a T2, I would have expected as a minimum you would get the full lips panel regardless.

If not offered,
( And as said the HBA1c, sounds minimalist at best
It sound like one of those ' graded' offers.. Pick economy get the yes/no result.. go premium we give you the actual scores....)

I'd ask for the full panel BEFORE even going to get blood taken... I'll definitely be asking for my B12 again.

Good luck.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

've just received my yearly "invite" to have my bloods tested and normally there is a whole raft of tests, this year just HbA1c ... Your thoughts would be welcome..
I have blood tests done every three months, hba1c, cholesterol, digoxin level, lft, psa, ect,

It's hard to say why your GP did not include the other tests.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NICE guidelines here:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#individualised-care
in point 1.6.1 say 6 month HbA1cs once stable, that’s what I get, then once a year around the anniversary of my diagnosis I get kidney and liver function and lipids.

Very useful link @Rachox
Lots to read, could you point out Relevant part that state the lips panel ?

I did only see reference to the HBA1c itself
Which I presume may not be the full panel of testing...?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very useful link @Rachox
Lots to read, could you point out Relevant part that state the lips panel ?

I did only see reference to the HBA1c itself
Which I presume may not be the full panel of testing...?

Sorry my post wasn’t clear :sorry: I was saying that NICE guidelines talk about HbA1c frequency. My comment about liver kidney and lipids is what I receive, though it doesn’t appear in the NICE guidelines.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry my post wasn’t clear :sorry: I was saying that NICE guidelines talk about HbA1c frequency. My comment about liver kidney and lipids is what I receive, though it doesn’t appear in the NICE guidelines.

Most kind to reply, @Rachox so speedily.

No, you were clear, I just wanted to clarify.

Weird how that it's not the full remit of testing, considering how the statins push and all the other criteria are geared up to this being a disease with a history of declining health.

Those markers would be important not to miss as early as possible, surely.

Shall still be asking for a full panel when I go for mine ... Don't ask.. DON'T get :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most kind to reply, @Rachox so speedily.

No, you were clear, I just wanted to clarify.

Weird how that it's not the full remit of testing, considering how the statins push and all the other criteria are geared up to this being a disease with a history of declining health.

Those markers would be important not to miss as early as possible, surely.

Shall still be asking for a full panel when I go for mine ... Don't ask.. DON'T get :D
If there is any nonsense with mine I will make an appointment to see my doctor and put my case for all the lipids to be included. I have an inkling it won’t be refused but it remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 308541

If there is any nonsense with mine I will make an appointment to see my doctor and put my case for all the lipids to be included. I have an inkling it won’t be refused but it remains to be seen.
They automatically do the full lipid panel at the pathology shop I go to, it's always ✓ on the request form from my GP.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems some of us are lucky with our surgery protocols and others aren't. I am one of the lucky ones. I don't have to ask for the full set of tests (HbA1c, cholesterol, full lipid panel, liver & kidney, full blood count, sodium and potassium, TSH and urine analysis). They are done automatically. I do have to ask for vitamin and mineral tests such as Vit D, bone calcium, iron, folate and so on, but have never been refused.

MollieB

I live in the states so I'm not sure if you have the exact same wording for the tests as we do here but you definitely should have your lipids and kidney function tested. Here, we would do a urinary microalbumin and a general urinalysis at least once a year. Along with BUN/Creatinine. You can easily have large amounts of protein in your urine with no symptoms.