Weight what -ers????

XT Malc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
D.I.Y.
Have had my first two "pre diabetic "classes run by ww as part of nhs programme. What a complete waste of time. All they did was weigh me , try to sell me crisps, choccy, diaries and tell me to eat PLENTY OF CARBS. I won't be going back again. So far i have lost a stone and a half and am not hungry at all and have my next check up with nurse in March , and all I have done is cut out as much carby stuff as possible.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Neither WW or SW, or any of the others, are in any way qualified to advise diabetics what to eat.

Reactions: Robbity

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those weight loss classes are based on calorie counting thus they will always be high carb. They are also run by companies selling processed food which is inevitably going to be cheap and processed carby rubbish.
Whilst the NHS believes in 'energy balance/cico' and the toxicity of fat in general they will continue to treat type 2 as a problem that can be solved via weight loss .
Go to any of those meetings and you will see people who've ridden the weight loss rodeo many times before and thus help the business model by being return customers.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt a butcher or a greengrocer would be acceptable to run these courses,

But I reckon they'd get better results AND make money selling their own REAL FOODS Products.

Really can't believe in this day and age with all we know on here, that a Nations health is being sold off to the highest bidders, so they can make a buck or two off our misery... Nothing short of scandalous .

Reactions: Rustytypin

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to SW and lost 12% of my bodyweight....But I only went for the weigh in as the sessions were free from my GP. I followed LCHF throughout and didn't buy any of their products. :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or anyone?

a few years back i might have scoffed at that.

but being on here and being forced, as it where to read and listen more,
i would agree that the simplicity, of eat less, move more and eat our products essentially
has baked in failure IF one doesn't amend the FOOD TYPES

and as far as i can see WW et al, don't..well not in a good way.

I think i have come to see this Host body of mine
as a cunning, devious opponent when i WANT it to do something , it will RESIST, to the Nth degree

YET..when it comes to defending it's Young..(US in essence) it;s ferocious in keeping us alive, no matter the cost.

so starvation..it does it's best to keep us alive.
come feast..it does it's best to make us stock up, while things are good,
just in case starvation is just around the corner again..

Baked in Failure ..IF we don't amend the food types as well.

as testified by way too many who suffer the consequences of yo-yoing after dieting.. for many years in some cases.

Kind of the best of Business models..given them what they want NOW.

Knowing it will fail over time and they'll be back..as Arnie says..

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
This was my post on another similar thread:
Don't talk to me about the NHS-recommended courses, notably the ones run locally by WW (that's 'Weight Watchers Reimagined'...).

Virtually all the emphasis in supplied literature is on weight loss (no surprise considering the Weight Watchers association…). Not everyone who suffers T2 diabetes or who is pre-diabetic is overweight – my BMI is 22, for example. The people running the local course are not healthcare professionals and never once mentioned diabetes in the meeting I attended. ALL the emphasis was on congratulating attendees for losing weight, or on selling you WW products. When it came down to a chat at the end of the evening, it was clear that I did not need to lose weight (I weigh under 10st) 'but take away these books' which are simply lists of food that already form part of our regular diet. I now get regular e-mails trying to sell me Weight Watchers food programmes.

By way of contrast, a little over three years ago, I needed to have an angioplasty carried out – a single stent. The follow up course was held at the local health centre and run by healthcare professionals trained in coronary matters. Each session included discussions about coronary health, diet, exercise and lifestyle, with informed talks from people who clearly knew what they were talking about. No badges for being good, no 'buy our products' – just pure information.

The NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme needs to be run on similar lines – not have us all dumped in with the local Weight Watchers group.

Reactions: zand

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This was my post on another similar thread:

Well said....
m1234.gif

Reactions: zand

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
This is the kind of thing I get all the time from WW – how is this meant to be of benefit to anyone on this forum?
I can hardly believe decision makers in the NHS have actually taken a look at what WW is about... Utter nonsense.
Screenshot-2020-02-09-at-17-06-31.png

Reactions: Barb McD

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry @Barb McD .
I have started tending to set my privacy levels on sites to zero if possible...(surprising how many companies are on some lists)
Sadly this one won't let me see if I don't accept, many others do.

Maybe I'll change my mind and add the cookies later

Cheers for posting anyway.

Reactions: Barb McD

Barb McD

His history includes a quotation from the “great man” himself saying that it should never be applied as a diagnostic tool for defining health status. ‍♀️