Can Metformin be stopped completely?

sunnyh

Dislikes
feeling like I am not in control...that is my main pet peeve!!
My question is: can metformin tablets be stopped completely, or is there some horrible side effect, like my nose falling off or something else? Only joking about the nose. I have type2 diabetes, and after I came to the UK, (7 years ago), I was put on metformin, and progressed to 3-850mg tabs a day. Last Autumn, my sugars started skyrocketing for no reason, and come March of this year, I was put on 2 injections a day of Novamix 30, with a Flexpen, along with the 3 tabs of metformin. I have noticed in the last few months that I am having a really hard time swallowing anything bigger then a pea, and sometimes I choke on that. It's scary, and tonight I thought it was all over. I couldn't swallow my tablets, even though I have a pill splitter which I cut them into 4 pieces with. I would like to stop the metformin, and probably will go without it tomorrow, as I'm afraid to try to take it now. My surgery isn't open again until Monday morning, so I'm on my own, unless I actually choke. I was mainly wondering if I could go without these huge pills for a few days, as long as I continue with my insulin. And yes, I have tried to discuss this subject with my Dr, but haven't gotten anywhere, even after I ended up in the hospital having a camera stuck down my throat to dislodge food a few months ago.

So, I would like to hear if anyone knows anything about quitting metformin. Thankyou...

SunnyH

chocoholic

Of course, I cannot advise you to alter your medication because that would not be sensible of me BUT I am Type 2 and on Novomix 30 too. I am not prescribed any tablets. (I was on Gliclazide before they put me on insulin but not tablets since the switch).
Actually, I often read of Type 2's on here being on insulin AND tablets and I wondered why I am not?
Are there others on the forum JUST on insulin for Type 2?

sunnyh

Dislikes
Hi again...
I want to thank you all for your quick response, and it's really good to have a place to talk to other people with the same things going on. I've tried crushing the metformin, but I couldn't keep it down, like it hit my stomach too fast. I think the only way to go is just to not take those metformin tablets until I can get in to see a Dr. The Novomix 30 is a leveler for my sugars, and I've had good luck with it. I sometimes feel way too overmedicated, and maybe I will get some advice on just doing insulin, without all the tablets.

Once again, thank you all, as it's just a good feeling to know I can come here and actually talk to people who understand what I'm trying to say.

SunnyH

Katharine

If the metformin is making you sick then you are best to stop it.

Not all diabetics can tolerate it.

Metformin can reduce your hbaic up to 1.5% on its own. If you are on insulin you can adjust this to compensate for the increase glucose secretion by your liver that the metformin has been dealing with.

Let's face it, if you are vomiting up your pills, the metformin hasn't really been doing anything worthwhile in any case.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's generally not a good idea to crush or dissolve tablets without checking with the person who prescribed them. Doing so, or emptying capsules, can affect the speed/duration/intensity of the drug's action.

Silvercat

Why not discuss going on the slow release Glucophage with your doc. Is there not a liquid version of the ordinary Metformin. I did hear my chemist talking about it once as he was saying how some people find the size of the tablets difficult.

sunnyh

Dislikes
Hello, and I've appreciated all of the good comments here...it's helped a lot. I did try crushing the tablets last night, as I normally take them immediately after my dinner. It didn't work, and I vomited so hard that I thought I was going to have to call for help. I believe I am going to have to switch Dr's, as I have asked for help with this problem repeatedly, and have been told that there's nothing else they can do for me, and even had it insinuated that it's all in my head. I do well with the insulin injections, and will just have to stop the tablets, as you say, if they don't stay down, they aren't doing any good. I guess I just don't believe how any Dr could just shrug this one off, especially an insulin-dependent patient who has a serious problem with not only tablets, but also with food. Meals are now a nightmare, and I dread eating anything at all. I've ended up twice this year in A&E having a camera stuck down my throat to dislodge food. So, no, it's not all in my head. But now it's up to me to seek out the proper medical help, and I'm going to have a try at that.

Thank you all for your input, as it helps to know that there really ARE people out there who go through similar things.

SunnyH

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I would suggest,next time you see your doctor,to have your swallowing reflex checked out.

sunnyh

Dislikes
Well, today I called my Dr's office and told the receptionist and nurse my problem. The nurse looked up liquid metformin, which is, from what she said, only available to people like me, who can't get the pills down. I was told the Dr would call me back to talk to me about it, and she would call this afternoon. She never did. Am I wrong to think that a Dr would be concerned about a patient who is insulin dependent, and not able to swallow the other tablets? I haven't had my tablet meds now for 2 days, (except for my blood pressure pill, which is very small). I told the nurse all of this...still they never called back. A diabetic doesn't feel on top of the world as it is, and being let down by your surgery doesn't help at all. This is the same type of help I got when I told them about not being able to swallow food...even after I went to the hospital and had a camera stuck down my throat to dislodge a bit of food. I feel like I'm better off without Drs now, or at least this type of Dr.

SunnyH

KWCOO

I suggest you to take daily dosis of ALPHA LIPOIC - even if you have swallow problems - I believe its always good to try to see if you can totally come of the meds. I used to be on 12UNITS 24 hour insulin and 3 Gloucophage tablets 500mg per (my readings was then 6.8 average). I have now exercised 6 months 20 mins per day on a stepmachine and lost 14 kilos - Im 1.87 and still weight 99 kilos - so not even close to my ideal weight even lost this much. BUT - what has happened is that I can now "exists" on 1 daily Gloucophage tablet only - after dinner - and here it comes; - my readings was first 6 and now 5.6 on an average (1 month) - so down to when I was on all the meds.

Im a true believer in turning back time with this decease - back to before I some 11 years ago (diagnosed T2 1 year ago) started having this decease inside me. By turning back time and living with no added sugar intake and getting in shape, Im sure one can beat this decease. I believe that if you change your metabolism and your burning the insulin a T2 still produces is enough to keep the system low on sugar. Loosing all that weight has for sure helped me to get down on meds. If the Alpha Lipoics has got any impact is unwise to predict about - I dont think we quite yet know enough about this - but somehow its helping me to say goodbye to Gloucophage tablets....and thats the way I persume we all would like to see it go.

KIM

Jay3109

Not totally OT but when I was first diagnosed about 6 years ago, I was put on metformin and ended up in hospital with pleurisy. I was told at the time by my GP (and indeed was convinced) that I was allergic to it and was then given alternate meds. About 9 months ago, I went to a new DN who said she had never heard of anyone being allergic to metformin and put me on Glucophage (slow release metformin) despite my initial reluctance. Thankfully all is well now and I have not had one moment of problem with it (But my goodness it is a whopper of a pill !!).

But I have never really shaken off my belief that given that so many people experience unpleasant side effects with the standard formulation that perhaps it was something more than coincidence... :roll: