Anti-inflammatory vs Low carb diets

M

Member496333

I wondered if it would be all the usual suspects.. the non existent "med" diet etc and yes it was.

The health wash that fruit especially has been given based on very little actual evidence is just parroted out as per usual.. (watch this from Gary Fettke
)

Its all pretty much standard "Eatwell Guide" stuff that every single charity or do-gooder site seems wedded to and probably has little if any real worth.

Anyone who switched from overly processed pap to "real" food ( by which I mean single ingredient freshly prepped foodstuffs will see a benefit). If you then look at what man is designed to eat - meat, fish, eggs, green veg then it leads automatically to a ketogenic way of eating. I really can't see why this is so hard for anyone to grasp. The benefits to health should by now be apparent to all.

Agree. The mythical “Mediterranean Diet” is just Eatwell in drag.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I wondered if it would be all the usual suspects.. the non existent "med" diet etc and yes it was.

The health wash that fruit especially has been given based on very little actual evidence is just parroted out as per usual.. (watch this from Gary Fettke
)

Its all pretty much standard "Eatwell Guide" stuff that every single charity or do-gooder site seems wedded to and probably has little if any real worth.

Anyone who switched from overly processed pap to "real" food ( by which I mean single ingredient freshly prepped foodstuffs will see a benefit). If you then look at what man is designed to eat - meat, fish, eggs, green veg then it leads automatically to a ketogenic way of eating. I really can't see why this is so hard for anyone to grasp. The benefits to health should by now be apparent to all.

Do you know if grain-fed meat on a carnivore diet is good enough to heal your body? How many carnivores here manage fine on supermarket meats and how many need to seek grassfed meats to avoid carry over problems from grains I wonder.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree. The mythical “Mediterranean Diet” is just Eatwell in drag.
Jim, have you quit dairy now? And do you eat grassfed meats only or have you done it all eating grainfed meats?

M

Member496333

Jim, have you quit dairy now? And do you eat grassfed meats only or have you done it all eating grainfed meats?

I have quit cheese but have returned to drinking coffee with a little cream. I’m not overly fussy on grass fed meat. There’s only so much you can do. I am 100% carnivore though. No plants, nuts, or chocolate etc.

EDIT: I still cook with butter.

Reactions: Cocosilk

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know if grain-fed meat on a carnivore diet is good enough to heal your body? How many carnivores here manage fine on supermarket meats and how many need to seek grassfed meats to avoid carry over problems from grains I wonder.

I buy almost all my meat from a local butcher here in the UK.

It mostly comes from the farm run by his son. If they don't raise it themselves they get it from other local farmers so its as "natural" as modern farming practises allow which UK wide will be mainly grass fed as who wants to pay for feed when grass is free? I've seen local sheep eating other foliage too which is growth specifically for their consumption.

No idea how most Aussie meat is raised @Tipetoo has more experience there than me.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I do just fine on a combination of meat from the supermarket and my local butcher. As Bulkbiker says, most in the UK is grass fed. I eat any animal based product, but am reducing cream and cheese as they’re too easy to over consume.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are a number of links but here's one https://www.arthritis.org/health-we...tion/anti-inflammatory/anti-inflammatory-diet

and another https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320233.php#what-is-an-anti-inflammatory-diet

They promote legumes and I've just been listening to Paul Mason talk about lectins. Not sure how meat can be worse for you than legumes, vegetables and grains that contain lectins and/or gluten.

I'll let you read the links. I think there is potential for too many carbs on the Mediterranean diet, but I guess you could do a version that is based around fish and low carb vegetables. I kind of feel hungry thinking about it though...
I am a T2D on orals, and also a CHF patient in recovery after heart op. I used to be LCHF and found that did my sugars amazingly well, and I was happy with it after 4 years. Then I had my heart issues last year.

I read up about Dr Aseem Malhotra who is an eminent Cardiologist at Surrey Hospital, and he was advocating the Pioppi Diet. This is a low carb variant of the Mediterranean Diet which I have now adopted. Now it seems I have made both my Consultants happy. So it is a low carb anti inflammatory diet.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

No idea how most Aussie meat is raised @Tipetoo has more experience there than me.
A dairy farm in Australia looks like this one.

cf48be0f152eec343deefc94a5a509e1

A beef cattle station looks like this.

6398112-3x2-940x627.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Nicole. Yes I am already aware of that book but haven't yet read it. I guess subconsciously the title sounds good to me so I latched onto it. I will read/listen to it eventually but it's bloomin' expensive as books go.

while i know some like 'paper'
the kindle version is only £7:59
audible with a subscription £0:00

and if you hang around Hotdeals.uk long enough i bet it comes up once in a while at £0:00 or 99p at some point

Reactions: Member496333

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I have quit cheese but have returned to drinking coffee with a little cream. I’m not overly fussy on grass fed meat. There’s only so much you can do. I am 100% carnivore though. No plants, nuts, or chocolate etc.

EDIT: I still cook with butter.

Good to know you can do it on grainfed meat if you're not sensitive! It's so hard to get good grassfed meat where I live. Plus grainfed meats are more succulent and fatty, and tender I think.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy almost all my meat from a local butcher here in the UK.

It mostly comes from the farm run by his son. If they don't raise it themselves they get it from other local farmers so its as "natural" as modern farming practises allow which UK wide will be mainly grass fed as who wants to pay for feed when grass is free? I've seen local sheep eating other foliage too which is growth specifically for their consumption.

I think most cows are pastured for most of their lives and "finished" for the last few months on grains to fatten them up. So I guess grassfed cows just miss out on those final months of grains. I don't know if anyone has presented evidence of grainfed meat causing allergies for those sensitive to gluten and whatever else in the grains causes problems (lectins?) but I'd love to see some evidence and hear some stories. I just don't know if it's worth the effort to only seek out grassfed meats.

M

Member496333

Good to know you can do it on grainfed meat if you're not sensitive! It's so hard to get good grassfed meat where I live. Plus grainfed meats are more succulent and fatty, and tender I think.

I believe it's less of a factor here in the UK, as our cattle are grass fed anyway. Perhaps grain finished, but it's not something I personally worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a T2D on orals, and also a CHF patient in recovery after heart op. I used to be LCHF and found that did my sugars amazingly well, and I was happy with it after 4 years. Then I had my heart issues last year.

I read up about Dr Aseem Malhotra who is an eminent Cardiologist at Surrey Hospital, and he was advocating the Pioppi Diet. This is a low carb variant of the Mediterranean Diet which I have now adopted. Now it seems I have made both my Consultants happy. So it is a low carb anti inflammatory diet.

I've been wondering about heart issues on very low carb diets. I get heart palpitations a lot since I had my last child (9 months old now) and I still haven't worked out if it's the diet or sleep deprivation that's made them worse. I don't have any diagnosed heart condition but I have yet to have a doctor tell me whether the heart palpitations are anything other than stress related. I have had palpitations on and off for years but it's only this past year or so that they are really noticeable.

So on the Pioppi diet, you eat a bit less red meat (or none?) and fish instead? Do you eat legumes and higher carb veges in small amounts too? How does it affect your HbA1c?

M

Member496333

Incidentally, it is my belief that low-carb diets in and of themselves are not nearly as beneficial as as low-wheat diets. Grain and wheat sensitivity are thought by many to have a great deal to answer for in playing a role in all manner of modern ailments. Including, but definitely not limited to, chronic inflammation, auto-immune reactions and depression. And you don't need to be diagnosable with any currently recognised gluten intolerance for any or all of these to become a potential issue.

I sincerely doubt that eating lots of 'healthy whole grains' is instrumentally beneficial in an 'anti-inflammatory' diet.

Last edited by a moderator: