Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Jim,
I know this is off topic but you really need to get yourself some testing equipment. It is the only way to know what you can eat, or when you need to reduce the quantities you have. You need to test before a meal and 2 hours afterwards and if the results are similar then what you have eaten is OK. You can usually get a free meter by calling the manufacturers, or you can probably find there is a competition somewhere in the publicity on this forum or on diabetes.co.uk main site. A lot of members buy their strips from ebay - try and find a meter that uses cheap strips. You can't just rely on the HbA1c tests to tell you how you are controlling your diabetes especially as they are so far apart. The reason they don't want you to test is cost.

Jim H

I agree with that. how can I tell if I'm eating the right foods (and quantities) without testing myself. The only way that I do it is look at the Nutritional info and read on here what how the levels change from other people on here. This obviously does not tell me if I react the same or differently to these foods.

The only reason why I don't test is both my GP and Diabetic nurse says that Metformin does not directly effect the glucose levels in the blood so I therefore don't need one.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Jim H said:
The only reason why I don't test is both my GP and Diabetic nurse says that Metformin does not directly effect the glucose levels in the blood so I therefore don't need one.

Metformin can lower your BG levels by up to 2 mmol/l!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wanted to add a bit to last post through experience. I started metformin on Tuesday (1 x 850 in morning and same in evening)and bought my own meter for testing as I had been refused one from the clinic.
Yesterday, after a going round shops and walking quite a bit between places, I began to feel hot and sweaty, shaky, anxious and faint. It was a weird feeling and I just felt I had to get home quick. I tested and reading was at 4. (it was 12.1 at 9am and this happened about 1ish).I phoned diabetic nurse as I was worried I may be on verge of a hypo but had thought this impossible unless injecting. Turns out I have been started on too high a dose and she advised me not to take any metformin over the weekend and to collect a new prescription on Monday for 500g and start on 1 per day building up gradually to 2.
The moral of the story is I would never have known what was wrong with me if I had't been able to test and maybe could have ended up with a proper hypo over the weekend. I am lucky that my surgery has very helpful diabetic nurse.
Anybody reading this should sign the petition on directgov website for T2 diabetics to be provided with testing equipment. I found the link in one of the forums but can't remember which one.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Jim H. I've never been part of a forum before so please forgive if I got it wrong. I thought I was being helpful as the previous entry was referring to how metformin does not effect blood glucose levels and in my experience it did.

daisy1 said:
Jim H wrote:

Grazer

Jim H said:
Please remember that this thread is all about your average sugar levels (HBa1C) and not about meter testing or Metformin

It's not actually Jim, it's about how OFTEN you have your HbA1c done as per the title.

markd

I get one official test per year now (down from the original two). I use an A1cNow for an informal test every two months now.

It used to be three but I think the A1c doesn't have that much validity for the third month back in time; the test are very cheap and I like the reassurance.

mark