Living with non diabetic

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My non diabetic wife does most of the cooking and cooks what she wants to eat. I try to make my low carb requirement as little extra work as possible so, whenever possible, I just modify what she is having. If she is doing a roast dinner with roast potatoes I cut up some butternut squash and stick it in with the potatoes. If she is doing a curry with rice, I microwave a pack of cauliflower rice. If she is making a pasta dish I make some courgetti. You get the idea. Of course it doesn't always work, some meals like paella you can't leave out the carbs so I have something else. It would be more difficult if I was keto rather than moderately low carb.
Yes, the tighter the control or the lower the carb intake per day, the harder it gets. Something often overlooked and one key reason why I did not go as low carb as I might otherwise have done.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband is not diabetic, and he also does all the cooking for the main evening meal, which we sit down and eat together. Breakfasts and lunches we each make our own but still eat lunches together. It has always been this way, so no changes needed other than evening meals.

We don't mix foods when cooking, the meat is cooked separately, the veg are cooked separately, the potatoes are cooked separately. This way he can have exactly what he wants and so can I. It has never been a problem for us, although I do worry a little about him since he saw how well I did on higher animal fats that he followed suit but still eats a lot of carbs.

Reactions: nsh2111

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the tighter the control or the lower the carb intake per day, the harder it gets. Something often overlooked and one key reason why I did not go as low carb as I might otherwise have done.

Disagree. Once carbs have been virtually eliminated you really don't have to worry about the few consumed.

I'm presuming you meant to add a "for me" to your statement?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Disagree. Once carbs have been virtually eliminated you really don't have to worry about the few consumed.

Depends how you view it and personal circumstances. For me and others it is as stated. For you it might be different. Respect that.

Your diet does’t suit everyone.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think @Listlad was referring to my comment. What I meant was that it is easier to adapt a non-diabetic's "standard" meal for someone on a low carb rather than a strict keto diet. For example, if my wife cooks a beef casserole which includes peas, carrots etc that is not a problem for me I just have swede rather than potato with it. If I had a keto diet I would have to cook something else. The OP was about diabetics and non-diabetics sharing the same meal.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @Listlad was referring to my comment. What I meant was that it is easier to adapt a non-diabetic's "standard" meal for someone on a low carb rather than a strict keto diet. For example, if my wife cooks a beef casserole which includes peas, carrots etc that is not a problem for me I just have swede rather than potato with it. If I had a keto diet I would have to cook something else. The OP was about diabetics and non-diabetics sharing the same meal.
Yes, this is what I was referring to. Thanks.

( The whole point in this thread is to highlight and give feedback on adapting a low carb diet to family and work life where applicable. With some people this is a problematic area and one has to consider that when advising on a dietary solution as a means of dealing with T2 diabetes ).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For example, if my wife cooks a beef casserole which includes peas, carrots etc that is not a problem for me I just have swede rather than potato with it. If I had a keto diet I would have to cook something else.

Not really you just wouldn't eat the peas and carrots just the beef and gravy.. it really isn't that hard unless people choose to make it so..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really you just wouldn't eat the peas and carrots just the beef and gravy.. it really isn't that hard unless people choose to make it so..
Can we give the OP the opportunity of deciding which tack to take. There is a choice to be made as we all well know. Best if we simply present the choices and go from there? Yes? No?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This is why "mixed together foods" such as casseroles and stews are best avoided. Cook the meat on its own and the different veggies on their own, and then plate it up separately. This is the easy way and isn't hard at all.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why "mixed together foods" such as casseroles and stews are best avoided. Cook the meat on its own and the different veggies on their own, and then plate it up separately. This is the easy way and isn't hard at all.
Out of interest, Bluetit? Not prying or anything but do you have a full time job?

I do come across many people who face the same challenges as the OP. And the challenges are real and shouldn’t be dismissed.

Hotpepper20000

Out of interest, Bluetit? Not prying or anything but do you have a full time job?

I do come across many people who face the same challenges as the OP. And the challenges are real and shouldn’t be dismissed.
I have a full time job. And have no problems cooking for Mr Hotpeper who is not diabetic and loves potatoes and pasta.
I cook meat in the slow cooker and the boil potatoes on the side with steamed veggies like broccoli, cauliflower or green beans.
Steaks, pork chops or lamb chops in a cast iron with a salad and potatoes.
Stir-fry with rice on the side.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear you. I have 3 teenagers - choosing to lower sugars not carbs - and a vegetarian carbaholic OH and eat very low carb myself. No way can I do one plate to match everyone.

I am not going to compromise my hard won health gains by eating carbs just to make them feel like I am doing the same as them. Nor do I expect any of them to eat my way.

I do all the cooking and try and choose meals with mix and match options. Meat, carbs, veg etc to suit. It might mean plating it up in varying combinations having been cooked individually or several pots on the go with varying versions of the same meal in each one. It’s a right royal pain in the behind for I’m honest but what options do I have?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear you. I have 3 teenagers - choosing to lower sugars not carbs - and a vegetarian carbaholic OH and eat very low carb myself. No way can I do one plate to match everyone.

I am not going to compromise my hard won health gains by eating carbs just to make them feel like I am doing the same as them. Nor do I expect any of them to eat my way.

I do all the cooking and try and choose meals with mix and match options. Meat, carbs, veg etc to suit. It might mean plating it up in varying combinations having been cooked individually or several pots on the go with varying versions of the same meal in each one. It’s a right royal pain in the behind for I’m honest but what options do I have?
I always enjoy your slant on this topic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Are you saying I am dismissing the challenges others have? My post was an attempt to show there are ways to overcome these challenges, whether in full time work or not. Maybe it is you that is being dismissive of an alternative solution.

Reactions: Member496333

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying I am dismissing the challenges others have? My post was an attempt to show there are ways to overcome these challenges, whether in full time work or not. Maybe it is you that is being dismissive of an alternative solution.
No. I just wondered because if you aren’t working full time then it is so much easier to address the challenges described by the OP and experienced by many that I see, read and hear.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No. I just wondered because if you aren’t working full time then it is so much easier to address the challenges described by the OP and experienced by many that I see, read and hear.

It requires a bit of forward planning and being organised - and a freezer.

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have not been able to follow up as got busy with work. So looks like best course of action is to cook food as a non diabetic would do and then choose what to eat from that,

This way she wont miss out and I can have what i want.

The only downside is the slippery slope of seeing carbs and then caving in :) ( As happened to me recently on a trip to India)

But onward and upwards , so will be looking to do strict keto again.

Reactions: Brunneria