Family history question

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes this doesn't happen, my mum had heart failure and was in hospital for 6 weeks before she died, on the death certificate it states she died from pneumonia.
Many people contract pneumonia, especially older people who may already be in a weakened frail state, then die :(
That's a good point, my grandad was absolutely riddled with cancer (lived about a week after diagnosis, it was everywhere), his death certificate said heart disease, no mention of any cancer.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother were, like me, all type 1's. Insulin wasn't available for my gg-mother and she died around 6 months or so after living on a diet mostly of cabbage. I am sure it isn't my imagination and positive my grandmother told me her mother's diagnosis was confirmed after her urine was tasted. Bill

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In fact what am I talking about. I have every death certificate for my direct ascendants and none of them mention diabetes or any health complications that would suggest so

Hi,

I spent 7 years working for a secure document destruction compaany.. Some of the jobs were "purges" on law firms, prisons as well as private customers & other industries.. I also did massive purges in hospitals in the south west from stuff going back many decades?

"Died of a broken heart" seemed to crop up as I was waiting for the hydrolic shredder to take a hopper full of paperwork..
So, what would that mean? Suicide in a hospital? Unwedlocked childbirth? Different "terminology" back in the day.. "Shell shock" I believe is now post traumatic stress..

Diagnosis is different these days & they still don't get it right.
I was diagnosed T1 at the age of 8, back in 1976. My mum got fobbed off by our GP & a nurse friend of hers spotted it & had me admitted to a kiddie ward less than an hour later? Pretty much allocated a bed & hospitalised for a week..

Proffessional knowledge & experience, pending on the era.. I'm sure there were all sorts of stuff not known about a century ago.. Cancer, AIDS.

There's still a misconception T1 is caused by a "trauma." Really?
I fell down some stairs as a 5 year old (i remember it.) when a nurse asked has there been any trauma?" That's the worst my mum could think of... Lol.

I will still blame my Ex :rolleyes:

& so you continually do so..
Or coincidental with the diagnosis? Just maybe the rising BG levels prior to the revelation of T1 hadn't helped with rational emotional response..?

We don't know your ex it would be unfair & un-ethical without your ex on the forum to respond...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,

I spent 7 years working for a secure document destruction compaany.. Some of the jobs were "purges" on law firms, prisons as well as private customers & other industries.. I also did massive purges in hospitals in the south west from stuff going back many decades?

"Died of a broken heart" seemed to crop up as I was waiting for the hydrolic shredder to take a hopper full of paperwork..
So, what would that mean? Suicide in a hospital? Unwedlocked childbirth? Different "terminology" back in the day.. "Shell shock" I believe is now post traumatic stress..

Diagnosis is different these days & they still don't get it right.
I was diagnosed T1 at the age of 8, back in 1976. My mum got fobbed off by our GP & a nurse friend of hers spotted it & had me admitted to a kiddie ward less than an hour later? Pretty much allocated a bed & hospitalised for a week..

Proffessional knowledge & experience, pending on the era.. I'm sure there were all sorts of stuff not known about a century ago.. Cancer, AIDS.

There's still a misconception T1 is caused by a "trauma." Really?
I fell down some stairs as a 5 year old (i remember it.) when a nurse asked has there been any trauma?" That's the worst my mum could think of... Lol.

& so you continually do so..
Or coincidental with the diagnosis? Just maybe the rising BG levels prior to the revelation of T1 hadn't helped with rational emotional response..?

We don't know your ex it would be unfair & un-ethical without your ex on the forum to respond...[/QUOTE
This did make me chuckle lol

I will still blame my Ex :rolleyes:[/QUOTthE]

Jaylee, if I want to 'contribute' my diagnosis with my ex at that time, then I will do so, because It is tongue in cheek and it was represented with the rolling eye's emoji. which is clearly visible and sometimes, I might even put lol too :hilarious:

At present we know there is no actual proof as to why someone is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, so, until we get some scientific proof, your quote of & so you continually do so..' I ruddy well will ........................

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother were, like me, all type 1's. Insulin wasn't available for my gg-mother and she died around 6 months or so after living on a diet mostly of cabbage. I am sure it isn't my imagination and positive my grandmother told me her mother's diagnosis was confirmed after her urine was tasted. Bill

So sad to read about your poor gg-grandmother, people just wasted way back then.
Urine was tasted to see how sweet it was, so your imagination was probably correct.
When a GP came to see me at my relative's house because I was unwell, he said , 'I can smell pear drops', which then was a classic sign, but so much better than the older 'tasting' test.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's a good point, my grandad was absolutely riddled with cancer (lived about a week after diagnosis, it was everywhere), his death certificate said heart disease, no mention of any cancer.

Sorry to read about your granddad :(

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd heard it was more heritable down the male line and also that t1 and autoimmune conditions like it (lupus,MS and Hashimotos etc.) are on the rise possibly due to problems with our gut micro biome. I have a T1 friend who believes she's MODY and has a daughter with unstable bgs however she's been told that the daughter will only be tested for that genetic variation if she becomes symptomatic something they are trying to avoid by keeping her on a keto diet.
No type 1 in my family either nor in the family history but we should recall that before the mid 20th century even type 2 was rare and prior to 1922 no type 1 diagnosed as a child would have survived to have children of their own and even with insulin life expectancy after diagnosis was 30 years probably involving nasty complications.
My sister has hypo thyroidism and hopefully this will be the only manifestation of auto immune conditions in ours and the next generation. I don't want to be negative but I'd be upset if my kids got type 1.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Either my mother knew the milkman, or I'm managing to swerve every bit of autoimmune disease in both sides of my family.

There has been diabetes of both sorts, hyperthyroidism, with thyroid eye disease, rheumatoid arthritis, Reynaud's Syndrome, fibrosing alveolitis, and a few other bits. I have, thus far, been diagnosed with no autoimmune conditions. My Endo was staggered when had had back his huge blood panel and all negative or inconclusive.

I'll take that.

The comment about knowing the milkman is an old family joke. As a baby, I would not be comforted by my father, but loved my god-father. Fickle? Moi?

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sad to read about your poor gg-grandmother, people just wasted way back then.
Urine was tasted to see how sweet it was, so your imagination was probably correct.
When a GP came to see me at my relative's house because I was unwell, he said , 'I can smell pear drops', which then was a classic sign, but so much better than the older 'tasting' test.

After I posted yesterday I Googled and found, just as you say, my grandmother was right and it wasn't my imagination. Aye, it must have been terrible not having any way to treat diabetes in my g-grandmother's time and they did indeed just waste away. It must have felt like a miracle to be given the first produced insulin. Bill