Type 1 Marijuana

Dancoates90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does any type ones on here smoke marijuana? If so do you find any benefits from it? Or does anybody lose any hypo awareness from it?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep I experimented a little in my youth. BG managment? Nope it doesn't make it any easier than it is.
It can mask hypos pending on the type of strain..?

The jury is out! :)

If it's regarding neuropathy? CBD oil could be a more sensible alternative resolution.

M

Member496333

I am not type 1 but I have vaped cannabis in the past as pain relief for neuropathy. It was unbelievably effective, and actually allowed me to sleep at night.

I don't need it anymore, so rarely bother. Although, bizarrely, the pain seems to return twice a year and coincides exactly with my birthday and Christmas :shifty:

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
I've found personally that stress makes my sugars rocket so the accustomed "chill" worked in lowering them again but, as always, it's horses for courses so tread very carefully with hypo awareness because I do think it would be easily masked and maybe missed.

Reactions: Barb McD

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a tricky subeject to tackle sometimes, owing to the old "stigma" & let's not forget the legality of cannabis possession & use in certain parts of the world this forum community reaches..

But choices are choices. The better informed, the better. :)

I'm going paraphrase what my old unfazed GP said years ago when I mentioned it. "Carful what you mix it with, regarding the tobacco." ;) (Yep he winked.)

M

Member496333

It's a tricky subeject to tackle sometimes, owing to the old "stigma" & let's not forget the legality of cannabis possession & use in certain parts of the world this forum community reaches..

But choices are choices. The better informed, the better. :)

I'm going paraphrase what my old unfazed GP said years ago when I mentioned it. "Carful what you mix it with, regarding the tobacco." ;) (Yep he winked.)

Agreed. As with all things you need to be a responsible adult. Excess of anything can lead to problems in those with moderation issues. Speaking only for myself, I’m teetotal and don’t think a bit of pot once or twice a year is doing any harm. I also never touch tobacco and just vape the raw herb.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed. As with all things you need to be a responsible adult. Excess of anything can lead to problems in those with moderation issues. Speaking only for myself, I’m teetotal and don’t think a bit of pot once or twice a year is doing any harm. I also never touch tobacco and just vape the raw herb.

Yep, there is at least no hangover one gets with alcohol in the morning. :)

Speaking of alcohol; I wouldn't advise trying cannabis after a few bevvys.. It is possible to pass out.

deniski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does any type ones on here smoke marijuana? If so do you find any benefits from it? Or does anybody lose any hypo awareness from it?
Hi, I competed at world level sport for a while, when I stopped I was a bit lost so smoked grass for a few years, I found it really messed my diabetes up, I'd get the munchies and eat loads and my blood sugar levels would yo-yo like crazy.
My sporting friend said that I got very paranoiac and that it took me a long time to get going in the morning and pay attention to my sports training job. He eventually said that he'd stop working with me if I didn't stop as he was carrying my work for a few hours every morning.
I went on a 10 day Vipassana meditation course, the toughest and best thing I've ever done and have never smoked since.
Don't need it and never even think about it now.
Good luck with your choices !

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Trying not to start a big pointless debate but personally I've smoked herb for a few years now and it has little to no effect on my blood sugars and the munchies that were mentioned don't exist, also motivation and attention to tiny detail, if anything, kick into overdrive. As I previously said smoking herb takes away the stress that raises my blood sugars and helps me get on with the day ahead. Each to their own and peace on all sides and there are many reasons not to smoke herb but the increasing worldwide legalisation and medical research has opened up the argument for acceptance and provided some evidence of benefits.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Montrealer

As far as the munchies I down a bottle of water and it works for me.......but I toke just before bedtime and don’t have the “munchie “ effect..........I also live in Canada where we have a large assortment of weed to choose from that also has different effects on the system..........

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as the munchies I down a bottle of water and it works for me.......but I toke just before bedtime and don’t have the “munchie “ effect..........I also live in Canada where we have a large assortment of weed to choose from that also has different effects on the system..........
Wish UK would legalise too

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm an unashamed 'recreational' smoker and have been for years, too stoned you can miss a hypo but that's no different to drinking too much, the munchies can be a pain and a cause for an unplanned correction bolus and the spikes and drops that come from those, I personally don't see a problem with it in moderation and I don't use alcohol but I do need to stop using tobacco.

My T1 and alcohol didn't seem to mix when diagnosed T1 in the mid 80's.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to smoke marijuana in my teenage years, and then I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was 17. Smoking helped me sometimes when it was hard, I felt at ease while smoking alone and being with myself. Probably one of the reasons that made me keep going on with my life during that period.