Pins and needles in hands in the mornings

warmbells

Hi,

My wife was diagnosed with type 2 about 12 months ago, she is dieting and is on Metformin MR, 1 a day. She has a problem with numbness and pins and needles in her hands when she wakes up in a morning. She also has pins and needles in her feet.

Is this a common happening? She has mentioned it to her nurse at the surgery but she didn't seem to be interested.

Gerald

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Welcome to the forum, Gerald.

Pins and needles can have many causes including nerve damage caused by diabetes ( see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paresthesia#Cause ). My advice would be to go and see her GP - not the nurse. It may be nothing but you and your wife will never know until her condition has been diagnosed.

Take care

Doug

Rivig

Well when i was first diagnosed and for a couple of months after i had that horrible aching & tingling feeling of peripheral neuropathy, really used to get on my nerves :) lol no pun intended but seriously used to wear me down :( like i say seemed to take forever to dissapear but it did eventually when my bg dropped significantly & stayed low, although it didn't take anywhere near 12 months & it hasn't returned as yet thankfully. She could try taking large dose B12 it maight help, anyway good luck.