Started on Insulin

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well I have just had my first 10 units of Insulin(Lanctus) hopefully it is going to help

Tracey69

Hi
You said you have just started on insulin, was you a type2 before hand.
I'm not sure what you have been advised what to do, but i Recommend you test before and 2 hours after every meal and especially at before bed. this will then show you a pattern of bg levels and help you work out the amount of insulin you need, as we go into a hypo (low blood levels).
I have been a type 1 for 36yrs and i have four injections a day. I am on Novarapid three times through the day and Lantus solar star at night. I also take Metformin 2 x 500mg twice a day.
Take care
Tracey

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Yes I was diagnosed 3 years ago as Type 2 and levels are not coming down so have ended up on Lantus once a day 10 units to start with, have been told to test every morning and twice a week before each meal and before bed to see what they are and to see if i need more insulin go back to see nurse a week on monday, i must admit there is no pain at all with injecting - thought there might be, I am also on 4 x 500mg metformin a day and 4 x 80mg Gliclazide a day as well as other tablets for high blood pressure and cholesteral and heart disease, thanks for your advice
John

Tracey69

Hi John
It has been a couple of days since we spoke , how is the sugar levels going at present.
It may be time that they will introduce more insulin as you know type2 can go to type1.
Take care we are all here to help, have a look around the site.
Tracey

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tracey69 said:
Hi John
It has been a couple of days since we spoke , how is the sugar levels going at present.
It may be time that they will introduce more insulin as you know type2 can go to type1.
Take care we are all here to help, have a look around the site.
Tracey

Type 2 diabetes does not turn into type 1 diabetes.

Type 2 diabetics do sometimes need insulin to help their blood sugars. This is usually just lantus. I hope the insulin is helping you lj, expect to have to spend a while figuring out the dose though :)

lj1921

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Levels are still high but I was told would probably increase dosage until we get the amount right - thanks for all your replies very much appreciated

John