What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
5.8 at 07:30 today.

Could be the fish and chip supper! :oops: Only the second time this year and they were gorgeous!. The van stops outside my door every Wednesday night, so I think I have been very well disciplined this past 18 months. :lol:

Viv 8)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
viviennem said:
5.8 at 07:30 today.

Could be the fish and chip supper! :oops: Only the second time this year and they were gorgeous!. The van stops outside my door every Wednesday night, so I think I have been very well disciplined this past 18 months. :lol:

Viv 8)

Yummers!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
  • 7.3 fasting
  • 7.1 @ 2 hours

yum yum fish and chips :roll:

starlight1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people who have no manners
9.1 for me this morning, has been higher other mornings. am struggling a bit to get bg lower.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Today:

• 7.1 fasting
  • 7.4 @ 2 hours

Perhaps I'll change finger next time :wink:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
This morning:
  • 7.1 fasting
  • 6.9 @ 2 hours
  • Just can't get them down :? They used to be in the 5s or even sometimes 4s.
    I'm not going to test in the morning for a while as I'm fed up and discouraged
    by these results :evil: Need to economise on strips too before I run out of my
    year's supply.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Oh, Daisy! I don't know what to suggest! Maybe up your carbs a little bit (not too much) and relax for the next week, then try again. I agree best to leave it for a while, getting stressed about it won't be helping.

This was the day I was supposed to be trying a self-administered GTT, after a carby celebration weekend. I lay in bed at 06:00, thinking "Get up and drink the lucozade" and I just simply couldn't face it :shock: . So I'll try again tomorrow.

Haven't fasting-tested for the last few mornings. A bit of self-discipline is now required :lol:

Viv 8)

neilalastair

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the western high carb diet.
Dont Panic Daisy
After several weeks of seeing mine creep up to 7+ i had a 5.4 yesterday and today a 6.0 which i saw as a massive improvement.
However I have also noticed that I put 8 pounds on over the last several weeks so the last few days I have exercised more and fasted. Maybe this is only a temporary dip for me but the rest of the day my numbers a great 5s and 6s.
Your HbA1c is good and I suspect that morning fasting levels are not a big contributor to the overall picture.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've decided I'm being easy on myself for this week as well, so not testing very much . . . curry with rice and a naan last night ! :oops:

Tested at 10:00 today after a cup of coffee - 6.1.

I forgot to mention (I think) that when I went for my fasting tests on September 19th, I got the following results:

08:00 - 5.0 at home, fasting
09:30 - 5.3 at surgery, my meter, fasting
09:30 - 6.0 at surgery, fasting sample taken immediately after I stuck the finger of my other hand!

So - is that too big a difference? Is my meter wrong? It does take plasma readings. Or is it nothing to worry about?

Viv 8)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Thanks Viv and Neil :) I have stopped testing for a little while, stopped counting carbs and eating a little more (carbs) as Viv suggested. Soon I'll test again and hope it's better. I'm not sure that it's a very good idea just to do the morning tests anyway. Maybe I'll forget the morning tests and do them for the rest of the day instead. I shall miss the virtual coffees around the virtual table in the mornings though. I've got my next HbA1c at the end of November almost 4 months since my 5.3. I think from previous full day tests that I'm high in the morning and lower during the rest of the day. I'll have to try to control my stress levels.

AMBrennan

BG metres are considered accurate if they are within 10% of the lab value i.e. 5.3 is borderline. I wouldn't worry about it but you could always contact the manufacturer (Abbot at least is quite helpful - they even sent me a free Optium when I asked them how one would go about buying a spare metre)

@topic: 4.8

Malc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine this morning was 5.2
My previous fasting test was two days ago (29th Sept) and that reading was 5.1

I'm overdue an HbA1c check, so i think I'll arrange one to be done in a couple of weeks, unless I hear from the Dn.
I've still not taken any meds, (yet!)

Malc.

Ausra

I woke up at 5 am with 9.8 , i could feel it's high so I couldn't sleep I had to give myself injection of 1 unit.
I went back to bed again and at 9.30am it was 3.9.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
After a gap in testing it has not improved:
  • 6.4 fasting
  • 6.9 @ 3.5 hours as I forgot to test afterwards :shock:

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
15.5 today

Vit B-12 result today at 210 (range is 200-900)so 'lower end of normal range' - red blood cells 'size' ok - GP suggested taking supplements. A1c raised a bit to 7.6 all other bloods fine.

However I was told today that a throat swab has revealed a fungal infection (so all my entries about my dry throat were not wasted on the forum then :lol: ...On 2 wks of anti-biotics and daily self testing to see if my reads come down.

The GP on instinct feels this isn't the full picture though and he certainly doesn't think it's because of poor control but perhaps auto-immune deficiency of some form (Sjorgen's or indeed this supposed T1.5 /LADA ? ) :idea:

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting to-day 7.8
Meal +2 7.3

Since I started lower carb average fasting readings have dropped from 9.3 (some were 10.5) to an average of 8.0 (all under 9.0) so it is going in the right direction. I'm hoping they will continue to drop.
Rest of day readings 6.8 - 7.8 which is a lot lower than multiple 10/11 I was getting.