Normal Sugar Levels

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I neeed some advice about my blood sugar levels, everytime my sugars drop to around 5.5 or even right down to a 5.0 I start to have symptoms of hypos, i start shaking, unable to verbally communicate clearly or even think clearly, ive never felt so disorientated or confused and the first time it happened my body went in to complete emotional shock, tears, anger, full blown panic, and that was my first time being hypo, unfortunately it meant taking out those emotions out on objects around me basically and becoming very argumentative.

Everywhere im readin it says 5.0 or 5.5 is normal but i cant take it. I'm completely normal around 6.8. or even happy at 8.0

Yet people keep telling me those are still high.

GP has told me that I have to adjust to the lower levels but 5.5 is literally the limit, anymore less and i will start having full hypos, even now as we speak im shaking with my sugars in so called optimum range.

Also are the mood swings permanent? I've had depression before and have bipolar symptoms just about with lifes ups and downs as you can get, but this is just now getting ridiculous to the point of needing to go to CBT sessions.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It may help people if you provide a bit more information. What type are you a type 1? just thinking that as you are young. How long have you been diagnosed, what medication are you on. All that information will help.

I'm sorry you are having these feelings and worries but there are a lot of people here and I'm sure someone with more experience will be here shortly.

Welcome and good luck

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Razzamuffin,
Just read back your earlier posts, so it appears you are type 1. Is that right ? Nobody likes how a hypo makes them feel. I have experienced shaking, anxiety, panic, suddenly bursting into tears and double vision over the years I have had this annoying condition. Because your body (and brain !) has got used to your blood sugar levels being high, you are experiencing hypo symptoms when you are not really hypo at all. This will wear off given time. Nobody can tell you exactly how long it will take, but your brain will get used to lower levels. A lot of people have this experience when they first start treatment, so it's not just you and it is quite understandable. A few days should make a big difference.

Your doctor is probably not a diabetic, so he won't realise how bad all this can make you feel. If you can take it easy and avoid too much exercise until your body gets used to your new levels, that will help. Try to relax and take things calmly. We all know that it's much easier said then done. This situation won't last forever. If you eat sensibly and keep testing, you should see your levels becoming more stable and these 'false hypos' will stop. Very best wishes.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a DSN you can talk to about this, or anything else that is bothering you ? It would be worth giving them a call to tell them how you are feeling and how your levels are dropping.

Reactions: EllieM

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi razzamuffin i feel at my best between 6/8 and my consultant said thats fine and wont do no damage so im happy with that,you will get more used to lower numbers the more your in them just take it easy

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi razzamuffin, I'm surprised ( even shocked) that your GP wants you to get your BG so low right now.
Type 1 diabetics are all on Insulin or insulin stimulating drugs, so the danger of a real Hypo (not just the false ones you're experiencing) is a real danger. Hence the advice to always have some glucose tablets (or jelly babies) at hand in case of an emergency. For a Type 2, BG finger prick tests of 7.9 or less are at the upper bound of good and for Type 2's there is no lower limit. But for a Type 1 (at least as far as I know) you are not allowed to drive with a BG reading of less than 5. Generally Type 1's have a saying that '(a reading of) 4 is the floor!'

If you haven't already been on one, make sure you get put on a special course for Type 1 diabetics, that will teach you the basics of adjusting medication based upon (anticipated) Carbohydrate (and Protein) intake.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I neeed some advice about my blood sugar levels, everytime my sugars drop to around 5.5 or even right down to a 5.0 I start to have symptoms of hypos, i start shaking, unable to verbally communicate clearly or even think clearly, ive never felt so disorientated or confused and the first time it happened my body went in to complete emotional shock, tears, anger, full blown panic, and that was my first time being hypo, unfortunately it meant taking out those emotions out on objects around me basically and becoming very argumentative.

Everywhere im readin it says 5.0 or 5.5 is normal but i cant take it. I'm completely normal around 6.8. or even happy at 8.0

Yet people keep telling me those are still high.

GP has told me that I have to adjust to the lower levels but 5.5 is literally the limit, anymore less and i will start having full hypos, even now as we speak im shaking with my sugars in so called optimum range.

Also are the mood swings permanent? I've had depression before and have bipolar symptoms just about with lifes ups and downs as you can get, but this is just now getting ridiculous to the point of needing to go to CBT sessions.

Hi @Razzamuffin ,

5.5 is acceptable for an in the zone BG level. The issue is, if your BGs have been a lot higher for prolonged periods. Then this will feel like a hypo. Think of it a little like "withdrawal" from the high BGs? (A simalirity to "cold turkey" from certain substances?)

Once you stabilise within normal parameters, you should find the hypo symptoms should come a little lower if you should drop.

One thought has occurred to me. Is your meter accurate? Could be worth an appointment with your HCP to check the meter is calibrated. You may have been lower than 5?

Hope this helps?

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my withdrawl at 9.0, 5.5 is a massive issue because im hitting that target everyday, and often, have even gone down to 4.8 but my body refuses to accept these levels, 5.5 i start shaking. Gets worse as it lowers, mind you body size might be an issue

Have 2 metres, both are accurate
Hi @Razzamuffin ,

5.5 is acceptable for an in the zone BG level. The issue is, if your BGs have been a lot higher for prolonged periods. Then this will feel like a hypo. Think of it a little like "withdrawal" from the high BGs? (A simalirity to "cold turkey" from certain substances?)

Once you stabilise within normal parameters, you should find the hypo symptoms should come a little lower if you should drop.

One thought has occurred to me. Is your meter accurate? Could be worth an appointment with your HCP to check the meter is calibrated. You may have been lower than 5?

Hope this helps?

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are things now ? Are you feeling any better ? Do you have a DSN to talk to about this problem ?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Had my withdrawl at 9.0, 5.5 is a massive issue because im hitting that target everyday, and often, have even gone down to 4.8 but my body refuses to accept these levels, 5.5 i start shaking. Gets worse as it lowers, mind you body size might be an issue

Have 2 metres, both are accurate

BG meters have a tolerance of 15%

Where you have just been diagnosed as T1D your BGs would have been running very high, so to feel hypo at 5 is pretty normal. As your BG starts to get within "normal" range most of the time, then your hypos will start at around 4 and under. Unfortunately your body will have to "accept" these levels because if you run high all the time then you will have problems with eyes, kidneys etc when you get older

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BG meters have a tolerance of 15%

Where you have just been diagnosed as T1D your BGs would have been running very high, so to feel hypo at 5 is pretty normal. As your BG starts to get within "normal" range most of the time, then your hypos will start at around 4 and under. Unfortunately your body will have to "accept" these levels because if you run high all the time then you will have problems with eyes, kidneys etc when you get older
2 weeks later I got used to the lower levels as you have just described but the last 2 days have gone back to being sensitive around 5 again, this time i have the shakes and a cold sweat

I know im not having a hypo and i know I shouldn't even be shaking right now, dude why is my body being a pain in the ass?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
2 weeks later I got used to the lower levels as you have just described but the last 2 days have gone back to being sensitive around 5 again, this time i have the shakes and a cold sweat

I know im not having a hypo and i know I shouldn't even be shaking right now, dude why is my body being a pain in the ass?
It is going to be a PITA for the foreseeable future mate. Welcome to the T1D club

brooker

5.5 is too low for me.
I'm a type 2 Diabetic and have been these past 20 years, I'm 73 now.
I find I'm comfortable around 6.8 to 7.5 and anything below 8.0 is OK in my book.
Once I am on a regular reading, I usually don't check my readings daily, because that gives me latitude to eat some of the things I shouldn't, always being aware that I can and do control my Diabetes by my rigorous diet, except when I feel like the occasional lapse and to be normal for a day or so, within reason.
I posted my efforts in one of the newer posts, above, 1-5 I think, above.

Edited by moderator to remove content not relevant to this thread

Last edited by a moderator: