When to consult about medication

Tim1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since being diagnosed in September last year I have brought my Hba1C down from 77(9.3%) to 34(5.3%) and my BMI down from 45 to 32.8 and counting.

On the good advice of this forum I started doing my own BG testing last week, measuring start of day and before and 2 hours after meals. I am using the mysugr app to record results and it finally gave me an Hba1C estimate of 31 (5.0%). From what I have seen on the forums it is not unusual for it to be slightly lower on the app but it is certainly in the same ballpark as my very recent blood test.

When I had my last blood test all I got from the surgery was an, 'it's normal' response from the receptionist when I called in for them and on asking further she gave me the actual number. I have had no contact from a diabetic nurse or doctor but I understand they are busy!

I am currently taking two 500mg metformin tablets twice a day and although I don't mind taking them if they are doing something useful I don't want to if I don't have to. I also understand that my vastly improved 'scores' are helped along by the Metformin.

That was a very long-winded way to get to my question which is, at what point do you think I should be talking to someone about medication? Is it still too early in my journey or should the fact that pretty much every one of my BG tests are coming back well within the lower end of the normal NICE targets mean that I should be questioning?

Any thoughts welcomed.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had no contact from a diabetic nurse or doctor but I understand they are busy!

Hi Tim, I'm sure they ARE busy with all their patients of which YOU are one don't forget! Don't ever think that you and your health are not as important as everbody elses. I'm guessing you are type two and you will get loads of advice soon but in the meantime, Welcome. x

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mysugr calculates based on the data you enter. When you have entered 3 months data, it should be within a point or 2 of the hba1c.

If you want to reduce your meds, I would hold off and wait until your next hba1c.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just had my appointment I booked to talk about this question. I was largely told that I shouldn't book an appointment to talk about medication. "They will call you if your medication is wrong".

I insisted on another hba1c test to see where I am with everything and they grudgingly agreed. But stated after this one it's every 6months.

So in summary, I'm not sure becuase my recent experience on the same question has been pretty negative good venakmost identical results as yours!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Since being diagnosed in September last year I have brought my Hba1C down from 77(9.3%) to 34(5.3%) and my BMI down from 45 to 32.8 and counting.
……………..

When I had my last blood test all I got from the surgery was an, 'it's normal' response from the receptionist when I called in for them and on asking further she gave me the actual number. I have had no contact from a diabetic nurse or doctor but I understand they are busy!

Congratulations you have done really well. Based purely on the HbA1C (rather than your history) you would no longer be diagnosed as even a pre-diabetic!

I am currently taking two 500mg metformin tablets twice a day and although I don't mind taking them if they are doing something useful I don't want to if I don't have to. I also understand that my vastly improved 'scores' are helped along by the Metformin.

That was a very long-winded way to get to my question which is, at what point do you think I should be talking to someone about medication? Is it still too early in my journey or should the fact that pretty much every one of my BG tests are coming back well within the lower end of the normal NICE targets mean that I should be questioning?

Any thoughts welcomed.
You don't mention how any lifestyle changes, but if whatever you did is sustainable then it's had (and will continue to have) a much bigger effect on your BG than the Metformin.
Doctors prescribe medication, but they can't force a patient to actually take it if they don't want to. I can't tell you what you should do but some members of this forum have continued on Metformin when their HbA1C is 'normal' and others have reduced their dose and still others have quit all Diabetes meds.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Busy they may be but one of the measures that control extra money and their published scores is care of diabetics, and that includes regular appointments - 3 monthly at first, then six and finally down to annual if you have been in remission for at least a year.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/1-Recommendations#blood-glucose-management-2

With your BG results I'd be wanting to talk about reducing meds and proper routine checks while that happens.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.....then six and finally down to annual if you have been in remission for at least a year.

Just a small correction @TriciaWs , according to NICE guidelines, HbA1cs are suppose to continue at six month intervals even when stable, that’s what I get but yes a lot of people get changed to yearly.
@Tim1966 in your position I would book an appointment with your GP or nurse to discuss reducing your medication.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I get annual checks if I go and ask - but I am fairly confident that I do not see high spikes, and nobody likes a clever clogs...

Tim1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies everyone.
As I am growing to learn there is never one consensus when discussing Diabetes but there are some useful responses to consider.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may get a better response if you ask for a telephone confrontation (sorry consultation !!! ) ,usually the GP only looks at your results anyway
Carol