Type 2 The Newcastle diet advice

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes after my heart attack in 2014 and immediately put on 2000mg of metformin a day (two tablets in morning and at night after dinner).
For the last week I’ve been trying the Dr Rot Taylor Newcastle diet after reading his book Life without diabetes: a slimfast shake at breakfast and lunch and I have fish or chicken with veg or salad as the third meal as I can bear three shakes only a day.
Since last Friday I’ve lost 6lbs and my blood sugar is down to 2.9.
Is that too low? I feel fine (hungry but fine).
Should I reduce my metformin or wait to see my very unapproachable old-fashioned doctor?
Thanks for any advice x

84green

Hi Cazza W. Sorry I can’t answer the question but as a general rule I wouldn’t change medication without the doctor agreeing. probably also give it a couple more weeks of diet as well. I am really interested in how you get on with the diet. I have been type 2 for four years and for a number of (irrelevant and inexcusable) reasons I haven’t got a grip of things. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with some narrowed arteries - the only fortunate news being this is early stage and I have been prescribed statins and aspirin as well as significant lifestyle changes.

I have lost a stone since. I have resolved to follow this diet to try and reverse the diabetes and lower blood pressure as the first step to dealing with everything. I intend starting this diet next week (when back from holiday) and will be really interested to see how you go and also know the answer to your question.

Good luck to you - it sounds like you’ve made a great start!

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much, yes it’s early days. Sounds like you’re doing amazingly. I’m not 100% doing the strict 600/700 calories but definitely have an effect. If it’s any motivation I had a massive heart attack and needed three stents and narrowed series only diagnosed afterwards. I was 45. Good to be able to turn it round now: good luck!

84green

I have a lot to lose in every sense! I’m on the same prescription as you. Start the diet on Tuesday. I’ll let you know How it goes. Good luck

Reactions: CazzaW

84green

First week done and I would say I’ve stuck to the diet pretty well (ate some roast chicken with my broccoli and a sag chana in a curry house). Not felt too hungry. I have lost a further 7 lbs.

My fasting blood glucose has gone from 8.5 to 5.5 in a week. I know this isn’t an accurate reflection and that, long term, it will depend on how my body reacts to my new ‘normal’ diet but it has encouraged me.

BP has reduced as well - 128/74 this morning.

Best wishes.

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s fantastic! I’m 17 days in to my diet of two Slimfast shakes and one small evening meal. No potatoes, bread, rice or pasta, or alcohol, and I’ve lost nearly a stone. Can’t believe it. My blood sugar plummeted to 2.9 at one point but now back at around 6-6.5. It gives you hope, doesn’t it!

84green

Thanks Cazza. That sounds great - a stone in 17 days is fantastic. It certainly encourages me to stick with it. Although I’m sure that the weight loss will slow down at some point I will still give it 8 weeks and see where I am. My target is 15 KGs (33lbs) in that time.

Spoke to my diabetic nurse yesterday who was surprised I’d lost 10kg since 6 January. I have to say I was surprised (if not shocked) that she had no idea what the Newcastle Diet was or how it worked!

I will have my HbA1c blood test again in three months which should give an indication of the effect of the diet on my blood sugar levels. I’m aiming for below 45 by then which would put me in the ‘prediabetic’ category. Then push on to get it into the 30’s.

The statins, diet and exercise have certainly effected my cholesterol already. My cholesterol level is now 2.8, LDL 1.0, HDL 1.3, triglycerides 1.09. Cholesterol/ HDL ratio 2.6. I’m hopeful that if I continue the lifestyle changes I might be able to reduce the statin (currently 40mg), as well as the metformin and BP meds.

good luck for the next week. I look forward to hearing how you’re doing!

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Cazza. That sounds great - a stone in 17 days is fantastic. It certainly encourages me to stick with it. Although I’m sure that the weight loss will slow down at some point I will still give it 8 weeks and see where I am. My target is 15 KGs (33lbs) in that time.

Spoke to my diabetic nurse yesterday who was surprised I’d lost 10kg since 6 January. I have to say I was surprised (if not shocked) that she had no idea what the Newcastle Diet was or how it worked!

I will have my HbA1c blood test again in three months which should give an indication of the effect of the diet on my blood sugar levels. I’m aiming for below 45 by then which would put me in the ‘prediabetic’ category. Then push on to get it into the 30’s.

The statins, diet and exercise have certainly effected my cholesterol already. My cholesterol level is now 2.8, LDL 1.0, HDL 1.3, triglycerides 1.09. Cholesterol/ HDL ratio 2.6. I’m hopeful that if I continue the lifestyle changes I might be able to reduce the statin (currently 40mg), as well as the metformin and BP meds.

good luck for the next week. I look forward to hearing how you’re doing!

Wow you’re doing brilliantly! Well done! I had a terrible hba1c reading of 59 this week but it’s early days and the scales / daily blood tests show I’m on track too. Fingers crossed we’re popping fewer meds by the summer x

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps my nurse had never heard of the Newcastle diet either! They really need to educate themselves to keep up with patients doing their best

84green

Hi Cazza. How’s it going? My week 2 is over! Lost five pounds which I’m happy with. My FBG this morning was 4.5 and was in the 5’s most of last week. My BP appears to be coming down in line with the weight loss. This morning it was 119/68 but creeps up during the day!

I intend to see out the 12 week diet. I have agreed with the GP to have an HbA1c and liver function test at that point to review things. I still hope to greatly reduce meds by the autumn.

Onwards and upwards.

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that’s brilliant! I’m 24 days in and have lost 1st 5lbs in total (not much in the last few days though). It’s my birthday today so may go off message! The Exante shakes with water are much better than Slimfast but not as filling.

84green

the GP didn’t have a clue how the diet works either! - which doesn’t surprise me anymore. For a disease that is described as a modern ‘epidemic’ I would have thought there would be at least some knowledge of a break through method of dealing with it.

84green

Wow that’s brilliant! I’m 24 days in and have lost 1st 5lbs in total (not much in the last few days though). It’s my birthday today so may go off message! The Exante shakes with water are much better than Slimfast but not as filling.

Happy Birthday! I think you deserve a treat today. I’ve pencilled in a spinach and chick pea curry on Friday as my weekly treat!

I guess there will always be a slow down point. I have a lot to lose but am sure it will come. I’ve lost 18 pounds pre diet and 12 since starting it. My goal is a further 30 pounds in the next ten weeks. I have faith in the research and will stick with it whatever.

I use Exante as well and enjoy them - perhaps find them a little too sweet. I find boredom as much of a problem as hunger - which is probably as indication of the habits that got me overweight in the first place!

Anyway, you’re doing great and 19 pounds in 24 days is a good present to yourself. Enjoy your birthday and get back on the wagon tomorrow. Best wishes.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ND works on the same principal as the low carb diet, except more extreme, because of the restricted calories and its for short term. Were as low carb or keto is a lifestyle change.

It reduces the visceral fat, in and around the organs especially the liver, increases the metabolism rate, sort of kick starts the system into action , with exercise it reduces the glucose levels and able to lose weight. Furthering the reduction of glucose levels, that's why your levels are reduced.
Most people will reduce their meds to meet the needs, instead of eating to bring levels up. you do need meds adjusted don't wait for next review.
Do you self monitor, it seems you do, it will give you a clue what your HbA1c will be like.

Eventually you will need to change to low carb for maintenance once you have reached your goal, sustaining lower levels, by this time you will be off meds.

Congratulations

84green

ND works on the same principal as the low carb diet, except more extreme, because of the restricted calories and its for short term. Were as low carb or keto is a lifestyle change.

It reduces the visceral fat, in and around the organs especially the liver, increases the metabolism rate, sort of kick starts the system into action , with exercise it reduces the glucose levels and able to lose weight. Furthering the reduction of glucose levels, that's why your levels are reduced.
Most people will reduce their meds to meet the needs, instead of eating to bring levels up. you do need meds adjusted don't wait for next review.
Do you self monitor, it seems you do, it will give you a clue what your HbA1c will be like.

Eventually you will need to change to low carb for maintenance once you have reached your goal, sustaining lower levels, by this time you will be off meds.

Congratulations

Thank you. That is helpful. Yes, I am looking at a sustainable and healthy lifestyle diet to move on to after 12 weeks. I think it will be based on the Mediterranean diet principals.

At the moment I monitor am and pm. For the past week they have all been between 4.5 and 5.8. Thank you, if they are low for a period I will go back to my GP and reduce my metformin. I may be being unfair but I sense that the GP’s default position is to keep me on the meds - so I may have to be a bit proactive with them.

GP did explain that my raised bilirubin levels were likely to be due to starting statins and the dramatic lifestyle change. All other liver function tests were normal.

To be fair, I haven’t found the diet too arduous yet but definitely feel low in energy (particularly with the increase in exercise).

Thanks again.

84green

Hi Cazza. How is it this week? I've lost four pounds and am happy with that. In total, I've lost 34 lbs in 36 days - some before starting this diet - so pleased. Be happy to lose half that in the next 36 days.

My BP is slowly coming down and I would estimate that my blood glucose is averaging between 5.8 and 6.4 (some high 4's and low 7's as well). My HbAC1 on 4 Feb was 56 mmol/mol. By May I'd like this to be under 48 and, if possible, even lower. Something to aim for.

Three down, eight to go, although I did break ranks this morning and had a kipper for breakfast - it was great!

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I’m plateauing but down one and a half stone since Jan 25 (about 42 days). Moved on to Exante shakes with water for breakfast and lunch (200 cals each) and a 400-calorie dinner. My clothes are loose and I feel much better. How are you all doing?

84green

You’re doing very well. My rate is definitely slowing down as well which is to be expected. I think your body catches up to the fact it’s getting less and adjusts accordingly. I’ll be happy with a couple of pounds off when I weigh on Tuesday.

I’m also on the Exante shakes and find them ok. I’ve had a few low calorie meals but want to try and be strict this next week (week 6). Am starting to think about what low carb eating plan I’m going to move into to keep up the weight loss and the blood sugar down.

The only thing I monitor daily is blood sugar and they are all in the 5’s now. I did have a 6.2 two hours after eating a homemade spicy fish curry with peas and a poppadom - so was quite happy with that reading.

I guess a plateau was always going to happen and we just need to be sure we’re on the right diet, be patient and accept a slower weekly loss. Over time, it will get us where we want to be.

I’m also into week 5 of the couch to 5k running programme. Not sure it makes much difference to the weight loss, but I am feeling better.

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, you’re doing brilliantly! I’m happy on two shakes a day and a small evening meal. BS still around 6-6.4 but feel so much better. Good luck on Tuesday!

Reactions: 84green