Hypo in Wick, Highland region.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Hello everyone. I've not been on here for a while. But back again.
As the heading said I was getting towards a hypo in Wick. I'd got the ferry from Orkney to Scrabster, had a wonderful bacon roll (sorry white bread) and a double espresso. The boat started to get a bit bumpy, so I stretched out across the 3 seats and controlled my breathing to the motion of the boat, so I didn't meet my roll and coffee again. Boat finally docked and I got taxi to Wick, then had 2 hrs wait for train.
Walked into a shop and thought I felt a bit weird. Tested and was 4.2 so went to cafe and took a tunnocks chocolate marshmallow type thing and eat it whilst I was waiting to be served. Sat down with an cup of black tea. After 15 mins tested again and down to 3 something. So walked a short distance to Boots. Tested again 2 something. Waiting in long queue to see pharmacists and I was shaking, sweating, very anxious and very scared. Tested again and 1.9. I know there is allowance for error in the machines. I staggered to an assistant who took one look at me and helped me to a chair. I know I wasn't making much sense, but I had the wit still to show her my readings. She gave me a bottle of pepsi, followed by about 5g of chocolate she had and a dextrose tablet. After a while,with her waiting with me and the pharmacists checking I left at 9.2
So was that a real hypo?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So was that a real hypo?

It certainly sounds like it. What meds are you on? You may need to review. And make sure to always carry some form of carbohydratre with you.

Reactions: berylc

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
So was that a real hypo?

Without a doubt it was....I was always told 4 is the floor and 5 to drive. so below 4 is defo a hypo.
What meds are you on??

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the heading said I was getting towards a hypo in Wick. I'd got the ferry from Orkney to Scrabster, had a wonderful bacon roll (sorry white bread) and a double espresso. The boat started to get a bit bumpy, so I stretched out across the 3 seats and controlled my breathing to the motion of the boat, so I didn't meet my roll and coffee again. Boat finally docked and I got taxi to Wick, then had 2 hrs wait for train.
Walked into a shop and thought I felt a bit weird. Tested and was 4.2 so went to cafe and took a tunnocks chocolate marshmallow type thing and eat it whilst I was waiting to be served. Sat down with an cup of black tea. After 15 mins tested again and down to 3 something. So walked a short distance to Boots. Tested again 2 something. Waiting in long queue to see pharmacists and I was shaking, sweating, very anxious and very scared. Tested again and 1.9. I know there is allowance for error in the machines. I staggered to an assistant who took one look at me and helped me to a chair. I know I wasn't making much sense, but I had the wit still to show her my readings. She gave me a bottle of pepsi, followed by about 5g of chocolate she had and a dextrose tablet. After a while,with her waiting with me and the pharmacists checking I left at 9.2
So was that a real hypo?

Yup, certainly looks like it, and you have the readings to back you up.
Glad you had the sense to test AND show your readings to the assistant. Good for you! It isn't always easy to think clearly when hypoing.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So was that a real hypo?

Hi,

Hypo? Yes, the meter seemed to confirm this also.

Due to blood flow lag, that 4.2 may have been the level up to 20 minutes prior to the test? (Before or at the start of the drop.)

So when you "felt a bit weird" you could have actually been lower, (possibly the 3s or 2s?) with the consecutive BG testing confirming a further drop whilst you were treating in the cafe.. (With a 15/20 minute snapshot of what it was prior.) Which was probably the point you may have felt something wrong? Before the rise from the first bite in treating it..

Wheat medication are you prescribed?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @berylc

As others have said it does sound like a hypo and the meter confirmed it.

It's vital you always carry glucose on you to treat them yourself so you don't end up in a pickle, glucotabs, jelly babies, anything quick acting and keep some by your bedside too so they are always within reach.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
@EllieM @porl69 @Brunneria @Jaylee @Juicyj ,

Thanks for your replies. I take Glimepiride 1 tablet after my main meal, ifneeded. I hadn't taken any on Tuesday as my levels were ok and none the morning of the hypo. I wondered if feeling seasick had made me go so low?
All well today. After a long walk in the snow up a hill with my friend and her dogs my levels were 7.1 I took my meter with me, also the dextrose tablets. When I get to Aberdeen tomorrow I will buy some jelly babies. I'm not that keen on them, so no chance of eating them as A treat! Also I will order a tag that says diabetic T2.
A salad with a boiled egg and fried mushrooms for tea, no tablet taken as levels still stable.

Reactions: porl69

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My 7 yr old grandson overheard my daughter telling his dad about my hypo. He thought I had died! Seems he wasn't that upset.....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@EllieM @porl69 @Brunneria @Jaylee @Juicyj ,

Thanks for your replies. I take Glimepiride 1 tablet after my main meal, ifneeded. I hadn't taken any on Tuesday as my levels were ok and none the morning of the hypo. I wondered if feeling seasick had made me go so low?
All well today. After a long walk in the snow up a hill with my friend and her dogs my levels were 7.1 I took my meter with me, also the dextrose tablets. When I get to Aberdeen tomorrow I will buy some jelly babies. I'm not that keen on them, so no chance of eating them as A treat! Also I will order a tag that says diabetic T2.
A salad with a boiled egg and fried mushrooms for tea, no tablet taken as levels still stable.

Hi,

Could be worth your while organising an appointment for a medication review?

Best wishes.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Jaylee .
I will phone for an appointment when I go back to Orkney next week. But I will NOT be taking metformin in any shape or form. It does not agree with me at all, I lost lots of time from work as I was unfit to leave the house

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee .
I will phone for an appointment when I go back to Orkney next week. But I will NOT be taking metformin in any shape or form. It does not agree with me at all, I lost lots of time from work as I was unfit to leave the house

Hi,

Don't worry. In not suggesting anything of the sort. But with proffessional consultation..?
a tweak on the dosage of your current prescribed med could help with stopping any more hypo recurrences.

In short; I empathise. They can be disorientating.