What happened to my Fiasp?

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was just getting for the next shot, grabbed my Fiasp pen and when I screwed the needle on top, a quick glance over the reservoir caught my eye. :wideyed: For whatever reason, the liquid turned into a cloudy suspension. Here's a picture of it:

IMG_0608.jpeg

And no, those aren't tiny air bubbles. There are flaky particles in the solution. It looked aweful with everything settled but since I handled it, everything got suspended again so in reality, it looks even worse. On the right is a regular clear pen for reference.

I've only used it for 4-5 days and stored it at temperatures below 23°C in my office. Got it from my pharmacy in a cool state and transported it to my fridge right away, all of which took about 10 mins. Given the season, there shouldn't be a temperature problem anyways.

Has anybody else ever seen anything like it or have an idea what may have caused it?

It's a German pen, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just labeled the same pens in different languages, so the same batch might end up elsewhere as well.

The product is a Fiasp FlexTouch pen, good through 10/2021. Lot No. is JP53265.

This. Is. Gross. :yuck:

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure what's wrong with it - but my second ever FIASP pen did the exact same. I came up with 2 possibilities:

1) it was left sitting on my kitchen bench and the sun was shining on it which probably heated it up enough, ever though it was winter.
2) It happened just after a rather painful injection that raised a lump in my abdomen (As can happen) - i wondered if somehow a tiny bit of blood or tissue had found its way into the pen.

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You've got to be kidding me, it's my second Fiasp pen as well! o_O Are they trolling us?

I can definitely say that the pen hasn't ever had contact to direct sunlight, it's sitting on my desk 24/7 with the cap on at all times when not in use and the window goes out north. Blood may be a possibility, but then again you'd think there'd be a mechanism that prevents stuff from entering the reservoir, especially since a pen will be used over an extended period of time and <insert preferred deity here> knows what could grow in there (and apparently does :***:).

Since I couldn't get a good picture at first, I decided to give the contents a bit of time to settle again, so I could take another shot of what greeted me when I was getting ready for injection. Here goes:

IMG_0609.jpeg

Bon appetit, eh? :hungover:

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, mine was the same, I must have a look at it, think its on a shelf somewhere! I wonder what has grown in it. On that subject what does one do with one's used pens?

Surely they can be recycled...but I'm guessing they're not!

Reactions: ~Noodles~

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, crazy. If that pen's been sitting on a shelf merrily mutating along you better arm yourself at least with a crowbar before you lift the cap. :D

I'm certainly gonna hit up my pharmacist, the doc and Novo Nordisk about that alien invasion. :borg:

That said, I put my pens in the bin. Case closed. They're not sharp and they can't be recycled. If that is something of a concern for you, there are cartridges available for reusable pens. I'll switch to those as soon as there are proper electronic ones that relay the dose to my smartphone (waiting for an improved Pendiq basically).

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a look :) actually it's not one bit worse than the day I rejected it! I was expecting a small clone of myself in it or something, or maybe a mutant or something, but no just the same pink flakes.

Reactions: ~Noodles~

~Noodles~

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm glad, we've all seen "The Blob" and it didn't go all that well, did it? :p

I'll make sure to post an update as soon as any of the abovementioned parties get back to me.