Type 1'stars R Us

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read some were self funding to type up their research and some were given it for free or being sponsored. I understand our healthcare isn’t the same as America, but we do fight for access to technology. It’s like why does she get a Dexcom G6, when Ive been trying to get one for months and I have told no by my HCP/ endo / consultant kind of thing. Or like we need it and she doesn’t need it. It is becoming into some kind of fashion trend, reckon we can go out and get a pacemaker when we don’t need one?

lol, I'm not after a Dexcom. I'm patiently waiting for a prescription on a Libre. It even sounds less "Terminator" than a Dexcom.

Hey! Don't knock the "pacemaker." I maybe closer to getting one than you.. :D I may even get prescribed em both at the same time as a bionic eye...

Keep a sense of humour & stay optimistic. Anger, leads to the high side of the graph. ;)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lol, I'm not after a Dexcom. I'm patiently waiting for a prescription on a Libre. It even sounds less "Terminator" than a Dexcom.

Hey! Don't knock the "pacemaker." I maybe closer to getting one than you.. :D I may even get prescribed em both at the same time as a bionic eye...

Keep a sense of humour & stay optimistic. Anger, leads to the high side of the graph. ;)

I know, some are of us are waiting for either a libre or Dexcom Oof, apologies, you’ll be 110% bionic. ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know, some are of us are waiting for either a libre or Dexcom Oof, apologies, you’ll be 110% bionic. ;)

Arnie voice.
I vil seek & destroy all bio hackers.. Give me your Fit bit if you want to actually live..! ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you accept apple products? I have an Apple Watch

Open minded!
I'm using a first gen iPad mini right now..
Along with a Samsung note 4 on my Libre MM combo.
& a Windows 10 PC.

All synched..

"Old, but not obselite." :)

Reactions: MeiChanski

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 Regarding pumps, people are mostly posting about issues or complaints versus the nice happy times. In my case a pump helped lower my A1C by letting me get my doses when I need them. I would have never bothered with a shot with a half unit for the nudge lower or 3 doses after eating something trickier or even the dose for the 5 carb grab snack. And I also had major DP issues which it helped tremendously with. I cut my insulin use in half and lowered my A1C with a pump! But there are downsides and different issues too and it’s not everyone’s preference!
Thanks @Marie 2, it's good to be reminded that there are good, upsides to having a pump, and I'm really pleased that it helped you so much.

@Jaylee Libre doesn't have to be approved/prescribed by a consultant, that depends on your CCG. Mine was prescribed by my GP. This bit from the NHS Flash Glucose Monitoring: National Arrangements for Funding of Relevant Diabetes Patients document says: "11. In many areas people with type 1 diabetes have their care and treatment managed within secondary care. However, in some CCGs there are arrangements for type 1 diabetes to be managed in primary care. The setting in which consideration of whether a person satisfies the attached criteria is for local determination, but it may be desirable for this to take place in whichever setting these wider care management responsibilities are carried out for a given patient." My diabetes was managed for several years by the practice nurse (until I asked to see a consultant, which I should've been doing anyway according to the NICE guidelines) with occasional input from the GP, who actually knew less than the nurse.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee Libre doesn't have to be approved/prescribed by a consultant, that depends on your CCG. Mine was prescribed by my GP. This bit from the NHS Flash Glucose Monitoring: National Arrangements for Funding of Relevant Diabetes Patients document says: "11. In many areas people with type 1 diabetes have their care and treatment managed within secondary care. However, in some CCGs there are arrangements for type 1 diabetes to be managed in primary care. The setting in which consideration of whether a person satisfies the attached criteria is for local determination, but it may be desirable for this to take place in whichever setting these wider care management responsibilities are carried out for a given patient." My diabetes was managed for several years by the practice nurse (until I asked to see a consultant, which I should've been doing anyway according to the NICE guidelines) with occasional input from the GP, who actually knew less than the nurse.

Thanks for the info, Hh1. I apreciate it.

I seem to be dealing with professionals to scared to stick thier neck out lately..

The Libre does help me, but I also don't fit into any of the cryteria.
I am seeing an endo in early March.

I have to go "back to basics" to satisfy these guys with scanning on Libreview.

I use XDrip, Miaomiao & self fund a Libre.. My DSN says I'm the "first one" she's seen with a Miaomiao. Really??!
I had to explain what the tech was.. Diabetes is "text book" to these folk. What chance has the innovation with these "career empathic Ds.."
I shouldn't have to work in "sales.." Let the graph on my phone do the talking.

The last time I looked. My area's surgery was high on the "league table" regarding all diabetes care. Let's see where this goes..

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info, Hh1. I apreciate it.

I seem to be dealing with professionals to scared to stick thier neck out lately..

The Libre does help me, but I also don't fit into any of the cryteria.
I am seeing an endo in early March.

I have to go "back to basics" to satisfy these guys with scanning on Libreview.

I use XDrip, Miaomiao & self fund a Libre.. My DSN says I'm the "first one" she's seen with a Miaomiao. Really??!
I had to explain what the tech was.. Diabetes is "text book" to these folk. What chance has the innovation with these "career empathic Ds.."
I shouldn't have to work in "sales.." Let the graph on my phone do the talking.

The last time I looked. My area's surgery was high on the "league table" regarding all diabetes care. Let's see where this goes..
Absolutely agree @Jaylee, just hope you get it on script soon.

Morning all, 4.8 on waking, Libre & meter agree after a very shaky start with this sensor. A day and a half on (and I'd pre-soaked it for a day) they're in complete accord having been well out of whack. Let it last for two weeks!

Reactions: Mad76

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
42902ddce73ece605ee16bb11b650b88.png

Reactions: karen8967

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

My husband had a pacemaker (on his second now), artificial heart valve and his aortic root replaced in 2007 and is still going - with the help of a few drugs that is!

Reactions: Marie 2

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Old, but not obselite." :)

Are you referring to the equipment or yourself? :hilarious:

Well BGs as expected went haywire after a good start to the day yesterday and annoyingly my sensor ran out last night which I completely forgot about replacing last night, mornings are too much of a rush so will replace it tonight so I'm senseless at the mo!

What I don't know can't hurt me right?!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I think you guys celebrate Valentine's Day, but maybe a little differently than us?
But here it's schoolchildren and spouses and friends and and and, it just depends so

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!!

25.gif

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yey, it's Friday
Madam BG clearly wants me to wear 2 x 5 badges!
Off to a friend's for supper, I've make a keto, no cook cheese cake for the first time, no idea if it'll be edible but it looks yummy

Reactions: Mad76

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening. Not much to report here, other than that Captain Morgan Gingerbread rum spikes my blood sugars terribly. It’s 30% alcohol, rather than 40% of my usual spirits, so I guess there was sugar in it. Hit 12mmol for the first time in months. So I’ll stick to the lovely bottle of Aber Falls Orange Marmalade gin husbeast bought me as a valentine gift :cat:

Revision again today, got to memorise things like the bones of the skull, what each area of the brain does, and the name and function of all twelve cranial nerves. Kind of important in recognising signs and symptoms of a stroke, so it has a practical use, not just learning it for the sake of it. And also the digestive system today!

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all
Started off morning at 6. So happy with that. But just had a mad carby breakfast that was definatly underdosed for ... 13 and still rising .... think correction dose needed asap!
So annoying after my good day yesterday. Totally self inflicted though

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously a day for spikes. After crowing about waking on 4.8, 9 before lunch and now sitting very unprettily on a 14....who knows? Maybe it was the change of site. Pah. :sour: