New diagnosis

mouseee

Have good look round this forum. There are loads of experienced diabetics! An amazing wealth of knowledge.

There will be people along soon with various useful links.

In the meantime, it's always helpful to let us know your hba1c results any relevant meds etc as that can help with the correct type of advice!

Lots of advice on Low Carb High(er) Fat eating which really helps reduce and manage blood sugar.

And... ask lots of questions!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be an eye opener to tot up the amount of carbohydrate you eat in the average day - and see where you could reduce or swap the high value ones such as grains, potatoes, or sugary things...

Reemap

Hello.. to start with cut down carbs and sugary items .. buy a meter to test so that you know which food affected you in which way.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

The first thing to do is realise that it is totally normal to feel a lot of emotions and to feel overwhelmed. We have been there.

The first practical step you can take is to buy a glucose meter. This is the thing that will help you control your blood sugar levels. Most doctors do not recommend you get one but most (all?) type 2s here do recommend you get one.

I agree you should read around this forum- it is amazing.

You should test regularly- before a meal and two hours after the first bite. If it goes up by more than 2 the meal did not suit your body- I will say that I think it means you've had more carbs than your body can cope with.

We are all different in the number of carbs our bodies can cope with and some find that some particular carbs effect them more than others- b ut what we all have in common is the need to limit carbs.

Good luck and welcome- come here to ask questions, ask for advice or just vent.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
New here, looking for advice please.
Recently diagnosed with borderline Diabetes type 2.

Where do I start please?
Practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so that's not just sugar, but starches too. Cut those out of your diet and you'll get back into the normal range right-quick. Get yourself a meter to log your progress. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- more info here, and can wholeheartedly endorse dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code as well. Dietdoctor.com and this forum's website, diabetes.co.uk will prove invaluable too, I'm sure.

You'll be fine.
Jo

margamandan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi kryton welcome to the forum

Id not worry yourself too much, but do start implementing some of the great advice from your fellow type 2s.

A bit of exercise and controlling your diet should hopefully do wonders for you.