Insulin timing

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As said previous everyone spikes after meals and depending what the meal was and how many carbs were involved its different for everyone as long as bloods come bk in range it will be ok x

Does it matter how long it takes to come back in target?

sgm14

Does it matter how long it takes to come back in target?

Yes, because the longer you spend high, the higher your HbA1c average will be. The usual recommendation seems to be, to try to get your blood sugar below the max target levels (ie 8.5 or 9) two hours after your meal.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
That's what I'm finding, 4 hours will bring me back in target. But after 2 hours not a chance :/
Quick-acting insulin has a four-hour curve, which is why it takes you 4 hours to be back in target. It's impossible to match our insulin with a fixed curve with carbohydrates, which why unlike someone with a working pancreas, we spike after eating. It does help a to wait for your blood sugars to drop 0.3 mmol/l before eating (Dr Bernstein) rather than guess how long it will be until your insulin starts working. I find with older vials of insulin I wait longer.
I have given up carbohydrates so I don't spike. It's certainly not for everyone.