Type 2 Dumbass Here

Scarlatti

Hi,

I'm new here but have had diabetes for a couple of years, although I was undiagnosed for three years prior. I'm in my early 20's now so it's not ideal but what can you do?

I've got Type 2, I developed it after a long bout of depression where I comfort ate for an uncomfortably long time. At the time of my diagnosis, I was at 101 in my blood results, a year later I was at 42 and now I fluctuate between 42 and 43. It's not been as tough as I thought it would be in regards to food etc because I still eat pretty much what I like just in moderation and I watch my portions.

I've had all my foot checks, eye screenings etc. Everything is all good although I had to go back after three months for my eyes to monitor slight changes to the blood vessels in the back of my eyes - this put the fear of God into me and I was convinced I was going to go blind but it went well and they want to see me in 6 months just to check everything is okay.

I don't have a lot of information/advice to offer but I'm happy to be able to speak about diabetes and hear other peoples methods, advice etc. None of my friends have the condition and as we're all quite young, it's not something a lot of them can grasp the seriousness over.

Thanks for reading my life story lol

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm new here but have had diabetes for a couple of years, although I was undiagnosed for three years prior. I'm in my early 20's now so it's not ideal but what can you do?

I've got Type 2, I developed it after a long bout of depression where I comfort ate for an uncomfortably long time. At the time of my diagnosis, I was at 101 in my blood results, a year later I was at 42 and now I fluctuate between 42 and 43. It's not been as tough as I thought it would be in regards to food etc because I still eat pretty much what I like just in moderation and I watch my portions.

I've had all my foot checks, eye screenings etc. Everything is all good although I had to go back after three months for my eyes to monitor slight changes to the blood vessels in the back of my eyes - this put the fear of God into me and I was convinced I was going to go blind but it went well and they want to see me in 6 months just to check everything is okay.

I don't have a lot of information/advice to offer but I'm happy to be able to speak about diabetes and hear other peoples methods, advice etc. None of my friends have the condition and as we're all quite young, it's not something a lot of them can grasp the seriousness over.

Hey @Scarlatti, and welcome,

You know what? People old enough to be your granddad don't take it seriously either. (My uncle went "Oh, but there's a pill for that!", rather than the dietary changes I made... Told him I rather enjoy having my legs and kidneys and all...;)) Diabetes, be it type one or type two, will always be underestimated by people until they have to deal with it in some way, shape or form, getting it themselves, seeing a family member, friend or colleague deal with it... So believe me, you're certainly not alone there! For me, I got it when I was in my late 30's, am turning 41 this march, and I dealt with it through diet... Metformin didn't agree with me and I wanted to be rid of the gliclazide pronto, so... I went looking for alternatives, and low carb/high fat is what I found. Might be of interest to you too, dunno: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html
You call yourself a T2 dumb***, but you don't have to be. (I'd argue the term with you because you did get your numbers down to the prediabetic range...). Try reading Dr. jason Fung's the Diabetes Code. Dietdoctor.com . This place's website, diabetes.co.uk (Not .org!). There's so much out there.... And the threat of diabetic retinopathy can be kicked in the *** quite easily once you know how and you catch it early.

Good luck eh.
Jo

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hi,

Hello hello from a fellow ‘awwww heck I got my health kick up the backside early’ club member! Oh hush now you are nowhere near dumb in the slightest, you are taking positive and real steps towards a much brighter future in many ways. Depression is a horrific condition to come to terms with, you’re having to deal with your own mind screaming at you and sometimes all you can do is react by eating. It’s a twisted cycle of bothering your hormones with how hijacking processed foods can be and then when you come down from the dopamine high you find yourself depressed and round and round it goes. If anything this has all spawned from a bout of things that were out your control so please don’t berate yourself over it.

Honestly? You’ve done brilliantly to say! That is an impressive reduction in your HBA1C over time, are you on any meds at the moment at all? Always one of those big first questions around here. I admire you for coming on and talking about it though, it was a pleasure to read through your story and here is hoping that we can help one another. I know myself that none of my friends understand the severity of what this actually is but why would they? Many of them understand what I do to control my condition these days and support it but it does leave you feeling a little alone.

So take a place by the fire and ask all the questions you want, we are all here for you young and old to make you feel like you’re not so alone in fighting this anymore :cat:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I'm a much older type 2 and have gone very low carb which have brought my levels back to 'normal'.

Stick around- there are a lot of awesome people here and we truely understand. You are very young so all the more reason to keep on top of those blood sugar level.

Best of luck and welcome.

Reactions: Glennis67

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This thread is filling up with musical greats- Vashti Bunyan and Domenico Scarlatti: now that's a concert I would watch.
Anyway, welcome to the community, Scarlatti. If you eat right and take care of yourself, you'll stay happy and fit- it doesn't need to limit you that much. We've got you covered if you want to chat about T2, and apart from that, you can get on with normal life as well as ever.

margamandan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi scarletti, welcome to the forum.

you've obviously done really well getting your numbers down, persist and improve if you can? The last few numbers can be the toughest sometimes