Im new [emoji18]

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my names Elliw williams, ive just been diagnosed with diabetes but what i see is very strange havent been given a type by the doctor came home on wednesday been diagnosed but no type with an epipen inject once a day and checking my blood before breakfast and before tea! Havent been given dietary recuriments or anything? Can someone help please it would be so helpfull! What is good and bad? Thank you!

P.s. Has this happend to anyone else been sent home without a type? TIA X

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 and T1 are treated very differently. You need to get a definitive diagnosis. Do you know what your hba1c number was? Have you had any other tests.

Welcome to the forum, lots of different diabetic types here.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Elliw and welcome, it is difficult for us to advise you without knowing your type and also your exact medication. You say you have an ‘epipen’ but my understanding of Epipens is that they are for allergic reactions. Can you tell us the name on the injector, I suspect it may be insulin?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello and welcome. We can't guess as to the type you are but your doctor should be able to help with whether you hae type 1 (severely lacking in insulin and autoimmune condition -c peptide and GaaD test for this though the results aren't always conclusive) or the other main type (90% of diagnoses) which is 2 where your body is insulin resistant and makes too much insulin but not quite enough to keep your blood sugars low hence being diagnosed. There are other varieties too including LADA which is a version of type 1 which isn't as acute in its onset as classic childhood type 1....
Hope you are feeling okay in yourself in any case and that you can use the forum to work out how to best eat to keep your insulin needs and blood sugars in a healthy range.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I am sorry you haven't been given the information you need.

As people have already said the types are quite different and need different advice. I hope that your dr gets back to you shortly. Once you have more information people here will be able to give some advice.

Good luck and welcome.

margamandan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi elliw, welcome to the club!

Did you give some blood samples? My thinking is, Could they be waiting for the results, so they can confirm the type?

I'm sure it won't be long until you get a more definitive result. Then you will get into the right treatment plan.

hope it goes well.

Remember, although it can feel like it, your not alone.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hello Elliw,
We’re you given any instructions with the pen? Like, “inject 3 units before meals”? We’re you given a test kit to check your blood sugar levels? Have you had any more appointments?