What on earth can I do???

tcamper1963

I’m wondering if there are more carbs than you realise in what you eat. Also what about it is tough. Maybe we can help find ways to make it better.

I don't 'enjoy' the fasting part but I can do it, with the mantra of short term pain for long term gain'.

The keto food I find difficult in terms of not wanting to eat meat, plus i only eat feta cheese, my gallbladder has been removed so I keep fatty foods to a minimum.

I should look at vegan keto and vege keto as my next fact finding mission...possibly sign up to diet doctor and see how Ai get on with that...???

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't 'enjoy' the fasting part but I can do it, with the mantra of short term pain for long term gain'.

The keto food I find difficult in terms of not wanting to eat meat, plus i only eat feta cheese, my gallbladder has been removed so I keep fatty foods to a minimum.

I should look at vegan keto and vege keto as my next fact finding mission...possibly sign up to diet doctor and see how Ai get on with that...???
I don’t fast beyond lasting as long as I can comfortably in the morning. I don’t snack in between meals though so as to avoid continued prompting of insulin. It’s not compulsory. It’s also much easier if you’re eating enough fat between fasts and are full fat adapted.

You don’t want to eat meat? For moral/ethical reasons or because you think that it’s healthier not to? The latter is simply not true and can be evidenced in here if it helps.

I have no gallbladder. Many others doing low carb/ keto don’t either. The vast majority of people without gallbladders can eat sufficient fat. We still make the bile just store and deliver it differently. It might well mean increasing fats slowly and evenly across the day though so you can step up bile production to match. Too much too quickly can be ....unpleasant.

If you already find keto hard then doing it newly vegan will be a seriously uphill battle.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t fast beyond lasting as long as I can comfortably in the morning. I don’t snack in between meals though so as to avoid continued prompting of insulin. It’s not compulsory. It’s also much easier if you’re eating enough fat between fasts and are full fat adapted.

You don’t want to eat meat? For moral/ethical reasons or because you think that it’s healthier not to? The latter is simply not true and can be evidenced in here if it helps.

I have no gallbladder. Many others doing low carb/ keto don’t either. The vast majority of people without gallbladders can eat sufficient fat. We still make the bile just store and deliver it differently. It might well mean increasing fats slowly and evenly across the day though so you can step up bile production to match. Too much too quickly can be ....unpleasant.

If you already find keto hard then doing it newly vegan will be a seriously uphill battle.
Edited to: ignore me, I misread something.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes...I have just returned from Vietnam and decided to return to vegetarianism after 25 years of being a carnivore!!!
Getting enough fats is really important. Many on here have no gall bladder, and may be able to suggest ideas for you.

tcamper1963

Yes , pretty much so, if you want it to stay lower
No, not much, not if you want them to stay lower

some people tolerate carbs a bit better having lost visceral fat and improved insulin sensitivity but whatever went wrong in the first place will just go wrong again if you return to the original lifestyle.

My opinion is you are always diabetic, you just have it controlled or not. To be cured you’d have to be able to eat carbs and not have an inappropriate reaction to them.

tcamper1963

Yes I was vegan 30 years ago...it was very tough back then...I guess keto vegan/veggie is going to be tough...I still will eat fish...pescatarian? And thankfully I like tofu!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I was vegan 30 years ago...it was very tough back then...I guess keto vegan/veggie is going to be tough...I still will eat fish...pescatarian? And thankfully I like tofu!
As I said if you are doing it for supposed health reasons, don’t believe it. There’s a lot of confounded hype from people with vested and mistaken and misleading interests about how meat is damaging to health and the planet.

pescetarian is doable, fish and eggs and dairy keep a lot of options open though. Just get enough fats in so you aren’t hungry. You’ll be miserable and never stick to anything that leaves you hungry all the time. There’s a vegetarian section of the forum that might help you with ideas.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many carbs are you eating a day? Our carb reduction is the single most important thing in keeping our blood sugar levels normal.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be interested in Carrie Diulius .. a keto vegan T1

Avocados and lots of fish should be fine how about dairy, eggs ... they would help too?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a quick post from me. I eat 30 - 50g of carbs per day to keep my blood sugar levels under control. I had my gall bladder removed years before my type 2 diagnosis and developed chronic diarrhoea from the constant drip of bile into my guts. Since I went low carb/higher fat my bowels have returned to normal :)

Reactions: HSSS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that my blood glucose was better eating early and late, the closer to 12 hours apart the better. I do not eat at other times, and usually drink only water - I have coffee with cream once or twice a day, usually when cooking.
I eat a lot of salad and stir fry or roasted veges, no dense carbs - no legumes other than a small serving of peas or funner/french beans, or bean sprouts

tcamper1963

Just a quick post from me. I eat 30 - 50g of carbs per day to keep my blood sugar levels under control. I had my gall bladder removed years before my type 2 diagnosis and developed chronic diarrhoea from the constant drip of bile into my guts. Since I went low carb/higher fat my bowels have returned to normal :)
OK. .. that is LOW carb..I will track my carbs and track my glucosy levels....

Thank you