Best cardio exercise

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hey crispin,

It's always a bit quiet over the weekend so think that's why you haven't had a response yet.

bumping you up back in the new posts section.

As for cardio exercise, football always gets my heart going. :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Whatever you enjoy, so you will keep doing it.

I like running because, other than buying a decent pair of running shoes, it doesn't cost you anything and you can do it anywhere an at any time. I like it cos I can just roll out of bed, lace up, and get it out of the way. I'd never have the time or inclination to go to the gym.

Cycling is lower impact, and probably more fun, but you have to buy a bike and a helmet and then take a chance with all of the idiot drivers that will hold your life in small regard.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
The "best" cardio exercise will differ from person to person. The reason is, the more that you enjoy something then the harder you will work at it. I hate running; I get shin splints, treadmills bore me, don't really have anywhere interesting to run without driving there first, don't like the sensation of running, etc. Due to the fact that I don't like it, I won't work hard at it. When I go to do something that I enjoy, then my heartrate is up and I sweat buckets.

Cheryl

swimming definitely! Some might not call it cardio, but if you work hard & swim hard it's knackering! It also allows me to concentrate on nothing else but counting strokes, counting lengths & stroke technique; great stress buster at the end of a hard day.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Cheryl said:
swimming definitely! Some might not call it cardio, but if you work hard & swim hard it's knackering! It also allows me to concentrate on nothing else but counting strokes, counting lengths & stroke technique; great stress buster at the end of a hard day.
I've just enquired about adult swim lessons at my gym :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
What do you want to achieve? I suggest you get a heart rate monitor.

My wife & I attend a heart rehab gym session twice a week for people who have have heart attacks, angioplasty, bypass ops, etc. (She's the heart patient.)

They set up a circuit of 1-2 minutes of exercise bikes, rowing, table tennis, badminton, step-ups, dumbells, etc, with a warm-up & cool down session. All taking an hour.

I have a heart rate monitor. When I check heart rate, resting at 60/min rises to about 90 during the session. If I work very hard at cycling, I get up above 100.

I don't believe in jogging (jars my legs) nor football (I like a barrier between the opposition & me.)

Playing tennis my heart rate rises to 150 during intense rallies & is normally 120.

My blood pressure is normally 135/75. The highest it's every been was when I was sitting in an armchair watching Andy Murray lose to Nadal. It went up to 175.

spideog

Cross country skiing is supposed to be near the top of the list of full on exercise you can do.

Personally I'd stick with the downhill though, may as well let gravity do as much of the work as you can.

Bradshaw

Well I think all cardio exercises are really good for our body but some are really difficult to do . So I personally think that Simple cardio might be Swimming and Cycling . What do you think ?

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Bradshaw said:
Well I think all cardio exercises are really good for our body but some are really difficult to do . So I personally think that Simple cardio might be Swimming and Cycling . What do you think ?

Swimming and cycling are very good. Both come with the benefit of being non-impact (until you hit your head on the side of the pool or fall off of the bike ;)). Both have indoor and outdoor versions too.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've been running since my diagnosis just over 6 months ago. I'm in week 10 of a 12 week 5k running programme, that had me running 26 miles in 7 days last week.

I did 4 miles yesterday, and 5 miles this morning and despite eating a whole artic roll and a big slice of birthday cake on top of my usual "low-carb" diet, I couldn't get my BG to go above 6mmol/l.

Threre really is a benefit for all the hours of painful pavement pounding.

sandy2011

I brisk walk daily, ~ 28 to 34 miles per week, low carb ~ 80 - 90 g / day, my BG appears to be under 6 6mmol/l most of the time, some very little brown rice or bread once in a while, still no cake.

Eddy01

Running is good Cardio exercise, I suggest that because i also do running
in the early morning, others cardio exercise is also good like, swimming, Cycling, etc

Bernard123

Hi all,
Cardio exercises
An exercise that mostly works the heart and help burn fat.
Working harder while in the fat burning zone.
Anywhere from 30-120 minutes....
thanks....

Michealwolf

Well there's are some cardio exercises like swimming , running , walking , jogging and cycling . These exercises are best for fitness and for weight loss ..

markcaffee

Agreed..Walking is the best cardio exercise..also swimming,jogging etc are also good cardio exercises and they also help you in maintaining your figure as well as in loosing weight.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Incline walk defo. A lot say running but I beg to differ. It puts a lot of pressure on your knees and can often raise your heart to way over the ideal heart rate for fat burning. I know swimming is good too as its full body! :)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Beav said:
It puts a lot of pressure on your knees and can often raise your heart to way over the ideal heart rate for fat burning. I know swimming is good too as its full body! :)

It's true that runners are injury prone, probably mainly due to shoe choice than anything else.
7 million years of evolution went into making sure that your heart, lungs and knees are capable of running. I"m a 255lb runner and I can happily knock out 8 miles without any ill effect the next day.

Obviously, if you go out and try and run 3 miles without buliding up slowly (through walking and running), you'll get injured. I started slowly using a sensible programme - it took me 4 or 5 weeks before I was running 10 minutes continuously.

The fat-burning zone thing is an urban myth, and is almost universally discredited. Anyway, if you want to run at a lower heat rate, then just run slower.

I agree that walking is a great exercise (and also a great way to start running), but the problem for me is that it is so low instensity that, as you begin to improve, you are forced to walk longer and longer distances, and it's difficult to fit that into a busy week.

Any exercise is good exercise.

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
I mean for bodybuilding. If your heart rate goes way over 140 its in the cardio zone and therefore muscle tissue can be used up.