What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds a good idea @Krystyna23040
How did things pan out?
Not very well - only two people didn't come So the class went ahead as usual.

Although both the two people who didn't come had to travel along tree lined country roads so were pleased that I had suggested they didn't come to class.

The journey home was really wild and my car was buffeted by very strong gusts of wind. The A47, which I travel home on, is very exposed.

Still I got home safely and it is half term next week which I am so looking forward to.

Reactions: geefull

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The wind and rain going doolally out there.
Another fence being wrecked by Storm Dennis...it is tearing it to bits...ripping it to shreds...it is the gusts that are wicked...
Fences I can deal with later.

I belong to Postcrossing where they send me random addresses to send postcards to, and then they give random other people my address to send me a postcard to. I got a picture postcard from Hong Kong this morning! On it, (she is a random stranger), she wrote,
"Greetings from Hong Kong. This picture postcard is drawn by me when I was 6 years old. Recently the virus has been spread through worldwide, & don't worry I'm healthy still, ha ha. I hope everything will be fine soon. Wish you have an enjoyable and healthy life!"

The picture drawn from when she was 6 is absolutely amazing. She put washi tape and stickers on it. The whole thing made me smile! I am going to register it in a minute, and send her a nice message.

Absolutely no going out in this storm. It is scary. I am sitting by the window (radiator hugging with Popeye) watching my front garden getting battered...

You lot take care...

UPDATE: Moments later, that was a savage gust ...I felt something, so I opened the kitchen door. Another fence has gone flying...into my metal gate...which stopped it. That was fortunate for my car which is immediately on the other side of my metal gate...I cannot leave my property now. That gate is my only exit point, unless I climb out the front window...

I came back in. There is nothing I can safely do.

Just pray...
Hugs for the raging storm but glad you and Popeye safe and warm and glad you got such a heartwarming postcard. I dont like these storms either, they unsettle me and the cats. I second your good wishes for @OldButBold hoping he is safely in and snug. Hope everyone in our corner is safe and well. @DJC3 whats it like in Cornwall atm?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not very well - only two people didn't come So the class went ahead as usual.

Although both the two people who didn't come had to travel along tree lined country roads so were pleased that I had suggested they didn't come to class.

The journey home was really wild and my car was buffeted by very strong gusts of wind. The A47, which I travel home on, is very exposed.

Still I got home safely and it is half term next week which I am so looking forward to.

Glad you got home safely @Krystyna23040
The storm is turning very tempestuous.
Half term sounds good!

Reactions: HarryBeau

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@OldButBold I hope you got back intact from your driving expedition, in this wind and rain, with her ladyship, and you are now safely indoors, feet in slippers, and in your favourite armchair....

hoping he is safely in and snug

I am, we also have fences dancing around although, so far, they are where they should be. I'm so glad I convinced her to get the tall trees cut down by half, they would probably be in the house by now. Not a good night to be out in, stay safe.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist that is my favourite of your pictures so far. Your Granddaughter has a great eye - the man and dog, especially the red coat are inspired additions. I would buy this if I saw it for sale in a gallery.
@gennepher I hope the fence panel damage is the worst of it in your area. I’ve never heard of that postcard scheme, what a great idea. And @Krystyna23040 I’m glad you got to the class and back ok. It’s really scary driving in the wind isn’t it? Hope you didn’t need to pass any lorries, that’s always stressful.
@PenguinMum an interesting day here. Sitting room is decked with coats of the human and dog variety all round the woodburner and steaming in an attempt to dry out. The kitchen chimney is letting in water again, even though it’s been capped - the wind is just driving the rain horizontally up into it so lots of buckets in the kitchen now. Mr C took Dennis for a run in the fields behind us this aft. Neither of them wanted to go. Mr C slung the lead round his neck so Den could have a run but when he called him back the lead had disappeared - the wind had whipped it off his shoulders and it had vanished. I was so proud though as apparently Dennis walked home with him beautifully, staying next to him the whole time, even along the lane.
How about you? Power still on?

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes @jjraak I think people have expected a painting to be a copy of a photograph.
If I use a photograph as my source material for a painting, then I also expect my painting to look like it. But if the painting is out of my head, then that is better for me, because I don't have that 'obligation' to be true to the photograph. So I 'suffer' from the same kind of expectation!

That is what I like, that I can get a different kind of reality in my paintings.
Don't know why but I think that drawings and artwork from real life scenes or from people's imagination seem to hold my attention more than a drawing that is taken from a photograph. I am always in awe that people can draw from their imagination. Enjoyed your artwork very much, I loved the tree in the foreground how you picked out the bark detail and I just want to follow that road to see where it leads - it gave me such a sense of wellbeing. Loved @Muddy Cyclist s artwork too, you guys are so talented.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Busy preparing food, entertaining family but managed to get this A4 watercolour knocked off with the help of youngest Granddaughter, reflects our stormy day and walking with my SIL and his dog over Fields earlier, granddaughter insisted on her dad and dog being in the picture and the coat had to be red :) took 15 minutes.

View attachment 38674

@gennepher enjoyable art is fabulous, well done. I often resort to fingers, do regret it when cadmium yellow or cobalt blue is involved as it really stains.

Beautiful scene, and I agree with your granddaughter about the coat. Mine is the same color.
Is their dog a Scottie?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is really scary, reading all of your posts about the storm. It is like living through a tornado that lasts for hours instead of the usual few horrible minutes, or a hurricane. Especially reading about your fence, @gennepher, and seeing @Muddy Cyclist 's stormclouds.
I am glad that all of you have been safe at home, or have arrived home safely. I have sat in a house surrounded by tall trees, huddling with cats in a closet, too scared to make a run for the basement; I have also fled houses at the first tornado warning and been fortunate to find a huge strong building to hide in (huge hospital complex).
Praying no more damage will occur at your home, @gennepher, or any of your homes.
I wish you could all come and stay with the KittenCat and me for the duration.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m glad you got to the class and back ok. It’s really scary driving in the wind isn’t it? Hope you didn’t need to pass any lorries, that’s always stressful.
No - thank goodness I didn't have to pass any lorries. I did pass a vintage NYPD police car - not something that you would expect to see on the Norwich Southern Bypass.

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your comments about @gennepher and my art. The challenge makes me paint which is great I am sure @gennepher is inspired for the same reason, you all help to inspire me to paint more, big thanks.

@SaskiaKC I Painted a very bad image of their dog, it's an Australian Cattle Dog. :joyful:

Storm Dennis is leaving us very calm, unless we are in the eye of the storm.

Grandchildren all asleep so now music before an unfriendly carbon producing log fire, but hey it's cosy.

Thoughts for all being trashed by Dennis, stay safe.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
UPDATE: Moments later, that was a savage gust ...I felt something, so I opened the kitchen door. Another fence has gone flying...into my metal gate...which stopped it. That was fortunate for my car which is immediately on the other side of my metal gate...I cannot leave my property now. That gate is my only exit point, unless I climb out the front window...
So sorry that your fences are being destroyed by the wind. Lucky though that your car was saved by the metal gate. Definitely staying indoors is the best thing to do.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is really scary, reading all of your posts about the storm. It is like living through a tornado that lasts for hours instead of the usual few horrible minutes, or a hurricane. Especially reading about your fence, @gennepher, and seeing @Muddy Cyclist 's stormclouds.
I am glad that all of you have been safe at home, or have arrived home safely. I have sat in a house surrounded by tall trees, huddling with cats in a closet, too scared to make a run for the basement; I have also fled houses at the first tornado warning and been fortunate to find a huge strong building to hide in (huge hospital complex).
Praying no more damage will occur at your home, @gennepher, or any of your homes.
I wish you could all come and stay with the KittenCat and me for the duration.
Thanks @SaskiaKC
I fell asleep on the couch with Popeye. He wasn’t happy at all. Going to bed now. Catch up with you later.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Krystyna23040 Maybe it had traveled through time and gotten blown way off course. Nearly 60 years ago there was an NYPD comedy series on TV called "Car 54, Where Are You?"

There's a holdup in the Bronx,
Brooklyn's broken out in fights,
There's a traffic jam in Harlem
That's backed up to Jackson Heights;
There's a Scout troop short a child;
Khrushchev's due at Idlewild ...
Car 54, WHERE ARE YOU?

Idlewild was the name of JFK back then...