Advice about increasing calcium while on low carb diet

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 6 years ago (followed by T2 four months later). I worked hard to incorporate more calcium-containing foods into my diet and increased my weight-bearing exercise considerably. The prescribed Adcal and D3 tablets gave me horrendous constipation and were ditched after a fortnight. However, I did and still do supplement with a D3/K2 spray as I am of an age where my ability to synthesize Vit D from sun exposure has decreased. The good news is that my spine is now osteopenic and my hips normal.
However, I did take the drug alendronate for 3 years to treat the osteoporosis and have recently discovered that it can raise blood glucose levels, particularly in women over 60!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I take Alendronic acid some of it's side effects can be quite horrendous my sister in law was taken off it when they realised as she had had esophageal cancer it had been a very bad idea to prescribe it for her.

D

Deleted member 308541

I was on Fosamax and then Actonel (both alendronic acid) for years, started taking them daily, then weekly, then once a month. It was a pita waiting for the thirty minutes of no eating / drinking after taking them.

I mentioned this to my GP, and he said I can get a six monthly injection called Prolia (denosumab)) if I wanted to change over to it. I have been on it for a year now, and I can have a heartstarter coffee as soon as I get out of bed in the morning.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
John and Tipetoo. Have your bone scans improved while taking alendronic acid or similar?

Reactions: Swiggy
D

Deleted member 308541

John and Tipetoo. Have your bone scans improved while taking alendronic acid or similar?
They appeared to be better the last time I had a BD scan done eighteen months ago.

I have a damaged lumbar vertabrae either 4 or 5, I can't remember off hand which one has the osteoporosis in it. It only gets picked up with a CT scan, after the next Prolia injection I will ask him for CT scan to be done.

Reactions: Swiggy

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Dr Snoddy

I am still awaiting the results of last bone density scan. though I will say I am a few inches shorter than I used to be.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
other examples are Vit D (Vit D3 is much better than vitD2) and Vit K, which comes in several diff forms. If you want to help bone strength then you need K2 not K1 (which affects blood clotting and should not be take in excess).
Your advice is absolutely correct and is exactly what I advise my clients with bone health issues. I am often shocked by their GPs lack of knowledge - especially about the importance of K2.